Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How to Download OVI apps on computer?

Mobile Visionary

Re: How to Download OVI apps on computer?

? Isn't that a good option and a secure backup ?

Simple i find this problem . One Nokia phones come with a backup feature in PC Suite .

Simple two  copy nby usn mass storage  Cities folder from memory card to your computer .Replace on memory card if original corrupted .

jje

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@ovikovi - Yes indeed you are new to smartphones, which is why I am telling you that getting apps from non-Nokia related sources has been the norm for like 6 years running now, So I would consider that yes, Ovi Store sucks, but it was never the first opition for downloading apps in the first place. Most of the best applications for your phone are not available on Ovi Store.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
wimdeblauwe

>> Most of the best applications for your phone are not available on Ovi Store.

really interesting! Any links you can point too? I just got my 5230, so I'm new to all this.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

[ Edited ]

really interesting! Any links you can point too? I just got my 5230, so I'm new to all this.

Google > Nokia 5230 apps

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=Nokia+5230+apps+&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&...

Will bring you up loads of sites with a lot of free apps and not free really apps .

The forums on the sites are usually the ones with worthwhile knowledge of these apps .

Lots of stuff to adapt your phone  themes wallpaper apps and more .

I am currently running Android home screen on 5800 XM   .

Here is the last one i looked at when Ovi Store was broken .

http://www.symbian-freeware.com/index.php?order=date&page=9

jje

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Yep. Examples of great apps I found which are not ovi store are:

PowerMp3 (select which folder you want to play)

Evernote for s60v5

Casio FX-602P

Nokia Sports Tracker (hey its not available on the store for my country)

Free iSMS (1.03 is free, 1.08 is not. This is threaded SMS)

JB Taskman

KillMe

Memcheck

Xpressalarm (sort of a burglar alarm. If some one removes your phone from the table with the alarm set, it rings an alarm, like a car)

WiFi Radar

X-Plore

Got this all from DailyMobile.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Sage
ovikovi

chanchan05

So we agree the Ovi store needs improvement.

Thanks for your list of useful apps!

Time to kill some time checking them out.

Please use plain text.
aqaz

i have a e71 and i use chrome with user-agent:

F:\\chrome\chrome.exe -user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (symbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-1/400.21.013; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML,like Gecko) Safari/413"

it's work for google and other site,i can download google maps,search..from m.google.com,

but ovistore alway think i am use nokia n97 mini,and give me s60 v5 version,i don't  know what's wrong.

sorry for my bad english.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
xDesertDragonx

Hello aqaz,

It sounds like you set your username's default phone to the nokia n97 mini.  I would suggest going to https://store.ovi.com/ 

In my web browser there is a link in the top right hand corner that says:

"Your mobile: Nokia N85 (Change)"

If that says something other than e71, you should click the change link and choose the correct phone.

I hope this helps,

xDesertDragonx

Please use plain text.
aqaz

thanks ,

i checked ,"Your mobile: Nokia E71 (Change)"

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
shafraz

plz help me i have nokia 5800 how to downlod pc to phone
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MinusZero

I totally agree that apps should be able to be downloaded to your PC. I have all the apps if have downloaded on my PC so i can remove and install as i see fit, or as space allows. Its silly that there is no option for PC download. I also worry that giving my mobile number will lead to sms spam.

Previous Nokias owned. Nokia 5110, 3100, 6101, 6300 and currently 5800.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ddexter

Re: obile)Re: How to Download OVI apps on computer?

[ Edited ]

ovikovi wrote:

My first experience with the OVI store: a few days ago.

Result? Shocked that the only option was to download to phone.

It's as if Nokia think we all have cheap data plans and internet on phones is as common as water.

On top of that they ignore decades worth of PC networks. The personal computer is the centre of the digital universe, Nokia. Not some esoteric device nobody has or finds useful. There should absolutely be an option to download to PC. It's so obvious!

The only reasons I can think for Nokia to insist on phone-only downloads is:

1) tracking you more effectively by identifying your phone and other personal data

2) reducing support costs on their staff  (no more "how do I put this on my phone?" questions from those downloading to computer first)

It is truly bizarre the computer was ignored and not placed at the centre of their digital universe, but somehow this doesn't surprise me coming from Nokia.

If there is an easy way of extracting the setup file from already-installed applications, giving more details to those users stuck with this extremely restrictive problem would be very helpful.

Completely agree with you!  :smileymad:

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Inappropriate language removed.

Please use plain text.
ant_in_wales

It is astonishing how a major player like Nokia has not only been left behind by other phone manufacturers, but seems to be trying to make things worse.

We were always able to download apps to PC and then install them. There is no logical reason to stop this - I have been trying to download the Sport Tracker software for two days without success. I have never received the text with the download info.

If I could have downloaded the app, it would have taken 5 minutes.

I am sticking with my Nokia phone as long as I can but it is the last one I ever buy (have had Nokia for 12 years).

It is as if the Nokia is trying to sabotage its own customer base.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
HARDIKKA

IT IS REALLY SHOCKING TO NOTE NOKIA DOES NOT PROVIDE  DOWNLOAD TO PC AND THEN TO MOBILE - THIS IS A HIGHLY REQUIRED FEATURE AS  YOU CANNOT USE  COSTLY DATA PLANS OF MOBILE OPERATOR.

THAT'S WHY iPHONE IS THE MOST SUPERIOR  DEVICE

IF  ANYBODY KNOWS THIS FOR NOKIA, PLEASE HELP OUT.

REGARDS

nalayakdesi wrote:

How to download Ovi apps to computer and then transfer it to my phone?

I dont have data plan and I dont get wifi at my work. I need to download apps on my phone?

Please help me.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
prashu92

hope its sorted out fast

Please use plain text.
ckmedia

El Loco: did'nt you read the man's dilemma? You obviously did'nt, otherwise you would'nt ask the question as to why he wants to download onto his computer.

andrey_gres wrote:

Some applications you could find over here http://www.businesssoftware.nokia.com/

Please use plain text.
ckmedia

El Loco... you sure got the right name, buddy. And to Nokia... most of my friends (including me) have a firm belief that you guys are (and have been for years) on drugs. The obvious oversights in design, both in your phone and web software is painfully unforgivable. Another example: they sent me to this site to look for a possible solution to my problem (same as the first post.), but the interesting thing is that I see no replies posted here by NOKIA STAFF.

Please use plain text.
ckmedia

I disagree. I found a free app, installed it then my phone refused, with a message that it was not a trusted site (which is why I went looking on OVI Store.

Please use plain text.

I have purchased a couple of games from ovi store (assassins creed and dungeon hunter) tried to install them using wifi. And it doesn't work... Would be much better to download to PC then transfer over to phone. Now I'm £6 down and no games to show for it.. Waste of time!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

[ Edited ]

@nosliwenuj

Unfortunately no clues as to what device you are using here, but have no issues using WiFi access point for Ovi Store downloads even if billed to phone. A new feature is added on the OVI Store if you select "SEND TO MOBILE" you get an option for the SMS to be sent or Download through PC; you may select the latter but note that phone needs to be connected and OVI Suite running in background for this feature to work and doesn't function for all applications yet.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.