Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 issues with Ovi Store installation after a ...

Advisor
n80kwt
Accepted Solution

N8 issues with Ovi Store installation after a hard reset

Merry X-mas!

There are multiple posts about the issues with installing Ovi store after a hard set. As an end user I believe we have the rights to do the hard reset when the phone becomes unresponsive to our needs. Now with the holidays on, I don't seem to have another option other than trying to fix this annoying issue as my home screens are naked without much widgets!

After spending more than 48 hours online and offline to "fix" this issues, am almost giving up. Install QT, remove QT, install wordpress which in due installs missing components...hello of solutions which barely did fix the Ovi store.

So, Nokia, after my E75, this is the first N series phone, and ridiculed at work by colleagues who are already in to Android or Apple phones, being a faithful Nokia user from last 10+ years, I must declare, I am frustrated as 99% posts regarding the same issue completely lacks Nokia response. What do this support mean to the end user when hundreds or may be thousands of us are frustrated after a hard reset of the device? Are you planning to patch up this issue with another firmware update? if yes, when the earliest we could expect one?

If there were offline maps available with Android...I wish I had waited a bit more time before I opted to go for this nokia n8 ****

Frustrated from Kuwait

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n80kwt

Re: N8 issues with Ovi Store installation after a hard reset

:smileyhappy: after losing the patience, I took it the Nokia care center. Tried to explain the buddy over there that I cannot install anything through Ovi store, when asked to do a rom flash, he was out of clue what I was asking him to do...he just wrote on the ticket, "Cannot install anything, hanging up"

Let us see, what these GEEKS are finally going to do with the device. If they manage to fix it well and good.

Keeping my fingers crossed after paying almost 650$, thanks Nokia!

Please use plain text.
takis_au

[ Edited ]

n80kwt, you are speaking my mind word by word!  Before I purchased the new phone I have been advised to go for an Android system based device and now I regret not doing it. I can not transfer sound clips from my N8 phone to the PC!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Irrespective of the vagaries of OVI Suite are you saying that you have zero connectivity either via Bluetooth or as a Windows USB mass storage device?

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n80kwt

takis_au wrote:

n80kwt, you are speaking my mind word by word!  Before I purchased the new phone I have been advised to go for an Android system based device and now I regret not doing it. I can not transfer sound clips from my N8 phone to the PC!

Welcome on board  buddy :smileyhappy:, though I had given the device for flashing, still keep on following up the posts regarding this notorious issue. A hard reset wiping out QT libraries. I am a developer myself, who is into 16th year of software development and I hardly understand how the geeks from Nokia expected the end user not to do a three button hard reset when rest everything fails to restore the phone to a working condition.

As far I could see, Nokia is intending all their future development in QT frame, and allowing the end user to wipe out the most essential piece of software with a hard reset. Further interestingly, the firmware not having the same files!!!

Seriously, I just hope Nokia pays some attention towards this nagging issue and insure that, the future firmware updates will integrate both QT and Ovi Store.

Apart from the software related issues, I must say N8 is one of the best Nokia devices I ever owned. Though it is not a perfect device (No Active notes, no free quick office, no dedicated application for landmarks) for a business user, the camera part, HDMI port, USB on the fly etc sure adds value and hardly any devices out in the market can compete with these capabilities (minimum to my knowledge)

I sure wish to see somebody from Nokia comes up with his/her two cents...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n80kwt

aspergerguy wrote:

Irrespective of the vagaries of OVI Suite are you saying that you have zero connectivity either via Bluetooth or as a Windows USB mass storage device?

aspergerguy, to be frank, the PC suite was the best software nokia ever provided to the end user. Now we are behind ISA firewall @ work and I am doing a debugging to find out what causes one of the following applications to screw up my entire connectivity including the LAN! (I am into Oracle development and I have certain applications like Quest toad or SSH windows open towards multiple linux servers)

After some logical guess I realized, it is the nokia connectivity cable driver. The moment I fire up Ovi suite or Nokia Music Player, my connection goes for a break. The latest software updater (3 beta) is another horrible piece of junk, all causing one or another issue to the hosting OS (Windows 7 Pro, 64bit edition) mainly with the network connections.

I am yet to face any issues with transfering music from my device to pc or vise versa. Still I am sure, as the issues are experienced by user to user varies with Nokia software/hardware, the above user has this specific issue.

Ridiculous once again, the latest beta version of Ovi suite (3.x.x) connects certain area of the application to internet through ISA, while the sign on part of the application miserably fails to. I kept on monitoring the ISA logs and noticed that while the sign on negotiation happens, the part of the code fails to pass the NTLM authentication to the proxy sever. Interestingly under options you will still see the firewall username and password columns!!!

Few days back I saw somebody calling the software development part of Nokia as "the indian way". Lol I am myself an Indian, but I don't do this kind of programming! I promise.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

You do know that a *#7370# is available as on all symbian phones that does not remove the qt install,but which will cream the rubbish out of the phone

the multi fingered reset is always considered a last resort and should only be used in an attempt to recover a dead or dying handset after all else has failed,

now on the N8 the multi fingered isn't as complete as we all would like due to the last min job they did slapping the firmware together, however the multi fingered is there to allow a phone that needs it to still be used as a phone until the owner can get it to a care point

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n80kwt

synth_fg wrote:

You do know that a *#7370# is available as on all symbian phones that does not remove the qt install,but which will cream the rubbish out of the phone

the multi fingered reset is always considered a last resort and should only be used in an attempt to recover a dead or dying handset after all else has failed,

now on the N8 the multi fingered isn't as complete as we all would like due to the last min job they did slapping the firmware together, however the multi fingered is there to allow a phone that needs it to still be used as a phone until the owner can get it to a care point

Feeling better now, synth :smileyhappy:

I am receiving the device back today. Let me see what the geeks from support center done with it first.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n80kwt

Solved!!!!! :smileytongue:, I fixed issue, woweeeeeee, solution is simple, take the damn thing to nearest nokia care center, reflash it, thats all!

Hope this helps those frustrate (Could feel the sarcasm NOKIA?)

Please use plain text.
okoye_peter

please i need some help in installing my ovistore application after a hard reset i was uninstalling my fonts and mistakingly unistalled my client platform for ovi and ever since yesterday i have been trying to install it from ovi but each time i get the update error always please help me nokia
Please use plain text.
okoye_peter

sorry i forgot to put the model of my phone its a nokia 6760 slide
Please use plain text.
Advisor
n80kwt

okoye_peter wrote:
sorry i forgot to put the model of my phone its a nokia 6760 slide

No freaking idea how to deal with a 6760, never had one.

Btw, Nokia beta labs application Connectivity Analyzer allows the users to download the QT installer for Symbian^3.

Guys, if anybody is yet to approach the Nokia care center to fix the store related issue, please try downloading and installing the QT package and post whether the installation of QT provided by the betalab solves the Store installation.

Connectivity Analyzer link. You may need to register with betalabs to download the package. Read through the text for this application and you will find a link for the QT package.

I am too afraid to do another hard reset on my phone.

Please use plain text.
fubarzi1

ok guys i found the problem with ovi store not opening on the n8 after a reset. to fix this problem all you need to do is browse your micro card and find the folder called "resorce" and delete everything in there. restart your n8 and presto ! fixed.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n80kwt

fubarzi1 wrote:

ok guys i found the problem with ovi store not opening on the n8 after a reset. to fix this problem all you need to do is browse your micro card and find the folder called "resorce" and delete everything in there. restart your n8 and presto ! fixed.

Happy News! please confirm whether you had done a hard reset using three buttons (menu+volume down+camera)

regards,

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@n80kwt

Qt Installer with Connectivity Analyzer is 4.6.3 not 4.6.4 so don't think that this is the answer unfortunately.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n80kwt

@aspergerguy
Well, as I commented with my post, I was too afraid to hard reset the device again and try the QT package. Anyway, thanks for the confirmation.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ros86

When I clicked on the Ovi icon, it opens up the browser and just shows "Welcome to Ovi Store".  There are no links to download the Ovi Store installer, and I'm stuck here.  Tried to go to store.ovi.mobi and ovi.com but can't find anything that will let me get the installer!

Please use plain text.
anon_n8_unlock

That's funny!!! Yellow smile (translation from a french expression)
Haaaaaaa!! Nokia I like my n8 but your way to manage it!!!!!! AwFULL!!

I just did a hard reset, not responding .. so .. hard reset ... and after that no ovi store app on my phone! I tried http://ovi.store.com from my browser and click download and .. "unabled to install"

I had the same problem with skype or the last update of social!!! Nokia !!! Nokia!!!

I do not have a nokia care close to me!! (minimum 200km) thanks nokia..

I ve already done a hard reset 3weeks after buy it (I bought it on nokia website on september) I lost all channel preinstalled;; sO WE DO NOT HAVE THE FACTORY SETTINGS AFTER HARD RESET??? :smileysad:

But the n8 is nice compared other mobile phone, but ..
Please use plain text.
Sage
angler

It is ridiculous that user cannot hard reset to factory default.  It is one of the option of smart phone.  Why N8 cannot restore to factory default after hard reset?  Why user need to have the OS flashed by Nokia support centre?

It is nightmare today I got my N8 hard reset but cannot install Ovi Store again.  When does Nokia wake up?  I switch back from HTC Desire and iPhone4 to N8 just a week.  Although I prefer the hardware of N8, but it is nightmare for its software.  I can't believe the hard reset process is nightmare for N8 user.

angler
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
walkernews

The new ovi store installer is available via Software Update apps.

http://www.walkernews.net/2011/02/25/how-to-reinstall-n8-ovi-store-after-hard-reset/

Please use plain text.