Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Ovi Store insists on using my home WiFi connec...

Registered Member
dazfitzg

Ovi Store inists on using my home WiFi connection even if not at home.

I have been using OVI store on my phone for some time now and it has been working perfectly until recently.

A couple of days ago it started to insist on using my home WIFI access point for OVI Store only. As I was away from home I wanted to use another access point but could find no way of selecting another access point the only option I had was to close the OVI Store app. Ovi Store just gave me the error that it could not connect to the server.

Web browsing respects my preferences of access point, so does many other apps that connect to the internet.

So I deleted my home access point ( not happy about doing this) and Ovi Store then asks me to select an access point. I can then connect to the store. If I reconnect up to my home Wifi how do I prevent the store from locking into just that access point and how do I recover from this situation without deleting my WIFI access point.

Please use plain text.
Employee
Unsu

Re: Ovi Store insists on using my home WiFi connection even if not at home.

Hello dazfitzg,

What mobile device are you using?

Thank you,

Unsu

Please use plain text.
kuyacarl

Re: Ovi Store inists on using my home WiFi connection even if not at home.

Try changing your default connection on your browser (the default s60 browser). Apparently, ovi store bases its connection settings on the browser. I had this same problem recently so hope this helps!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

kuyacarl wrote:
Try changing your default connection on your browser (the default s60 browser). Apparently, ovi store bases its connection settings on the browser. I had this same problem recently so hope this helps!

As you say whilst browsing go to Options > Settings > General > Access point if need to amend. In devices with network branded firmware you can find that a network access point can however be mandatory unfortunately.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
rafael_roque

Nothing mentioned above helps...

This restriction is frustrating and unwelcomed; I think we've reached a point in Nokia services where things are becoming less customer orientated.

Guess what Nokia, I cancelled my home wifi internet access because it wasn't within my budget anymore. How do I get my downloads now? At least give me the option of choosing, don't just block me off without reason. I like many other users, have unlimited data plans and this restriction is simply unfair.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@rafael_roque

Welcome to the forum!

If you could post which device you are using if different from your avatar then specific response could be given.

If it is not a case of need to change destination priorities in Menu > Settings > Connectivity > Settings > Destinations > Internet - then perhaps device needs to be restored to factory settings in Menu > Settings > Phone > Phone management > Factory settings.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
haufranco

[ Edited ]

I solved this problem by changing default access point of the default browser.

The default connection of ovi store is set by default browser and it override the connection setting in phone setting so that changing destination priorities or changing to 'always ask' in phone setting are useless.

My steps to solve the problem:

Start default browser > select > setting > general > access point > change it to 'internet' or 'always ask'

(if you choose 'internet', remove unwanted connection in the category first)

My phone is not displayed in english so some words in the step may be different from yours.

Hope this can help all of you and sorry for my bad english

Please use plain text.