Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Ovi and Google Calendar Sync

Ovi and Google Calendar Sync

I have just started using Ovi.com and thought that it would be much useful for me if it could sync with Google Calendar.

Do you plan such function in future? Should I hope for it?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Re: Ovi and Google Calendar Sync

No, Ovi will most likely never work with Google Calendar, as it's primary target are Nokia phones.
Please use plain text.

Well, I think that it's primary target are Nokia phone users, and in order to be a succesful and popular service Ovi has to satisfy them. Of course, if I'm the only person who misses this functionality, then there's nothing to talk about.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

I can see your point, but don't really see the connection between Google and Nokia phones. Thing is, Nokia wanted to make things easier for people on the move, so that you can sync and access your data from anyplace in the world, even if you don't have your phone with you.

Google Sync, or Google Calendar, whatever it's called would be direct competition to Nokia's Ovi online service, don't you tink?

Mind you, I'm just stating my opinion, that's the way I see things now. Ain't no telling when and if Google Calendar will actually be supported :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.

hole, Google whatever or Yahoo Calendar or MSN Calendar are all not a direct competition to Nokia's Ovi online services. The key here is Ovi's mobility.

I am maintaining a lot of calendars - one for work (Outlook), Google Calendar for personal, Yahoo for certain events. And now Ovi. The ability to sync all of these calendars at once would be greatly appreciated. The idea is similar to blog syndication/publishing software that could publish the same article to several blogs at the same time.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

But wouldn't you end up with all these calendars synced to your phone then?
Please use plain text.

Yes, but then I have people making entries to my Google calendars (I quite a few) and my Outlook Calendars (again, quite a few) also. All those changes will need to somehow reflected on my N82/Ovi Calendar through some mystic automatic syncing services.

Calendar syncing is absolutely necessary. Otherwise why would I use some closed online calendar that mimics exactly what I have on my phone. Next step would be selective calendar syncing, but only paid applications do that.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

I don't wanna sound rude, but if you really depend on these Calendar entries - I'm assuming it's work related - isn't it a bit cheap and unprofessional to rely on free services?

Maybe you could try MfE (Nokia) or a BlackBerry.

But like I said, just my opinion. As I can see, people from Ovi do read these boards, maybe they'll think twice about adding Google Calendars support to Ovi :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.

It's part work part personal. I like my N82.

Knowing Nokia, they definitely have the resources to deliver better services similar to MobileMe.

I wouldn't mind paying some subscription fees for an Ovi premium services. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
unna

I recently bought an E71, and found myself in the same position as yours. I wanted to try ovi, but didn't want to lose the information already in google calendar.

Since Nokia didn't help me, I looked around and found an application named CalSyncS60, by means of which I was able to sync the google calendar with the phone, and then the phone with ovi. It's not elegant, but it works.

Kudos go to Mike Macias for pointing me in the right direction: http://www.e71fanatics.com/2008/08/google-calendar-e71-how-do-you-sync.html
Bruno Unna
Public key available.
Please use plain text.

Thanks!

I have also tried CalSyncS60, but it can syncronize only one default calendar. In my acount I have 4 calendars to divide my activities into different categories. So now I'm using NuevaSync + Mail for Exchange. It has some issues but it works.

I'm still dreaming about perfect sync service, that would keep my contacts safe, sync my calendar with Google and make this things via SyncML.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
unna

sashamik:

Should you ever fulfill your dream, please let me know. You're not alone in this crusade towards *real* interoperability!
Bruno Unna
Public key available.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Why bother with Ovi? Why not just use GooSync if you can afford it, and get it over with?
Please use plain text.

Try to read previous messages before answering. May be you will find the reason.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

sashamik: "Try to read previous messages before answering. May be you will find the reason."

I had read the messages before replying, though probably not very carefully (there were twelve of 'em, and I don't really have too much time on my hands). I did read them again just now (hopefully a little more focused), and I am still at a loss as to why bother with Ovi in the first place ... unless, of course, you're hell bent on using Ovi just 'cause you like the sound of its name, or you like the layout of its homepage or somethin'.

So, if I'm not asking for too much, would you please humor me and quickly outline you reasons for clinging to Ovi? (Cutting and pasting the paragraph that you find most revealing from the above discussion should do.) It's just that I am looking *myself* for reasons to use Ovi, and your answer might be just what I need in taking a decision.
Please use plain text.

Now I use Ovi only for cantacts backup. And it had already saved me once when I had accidentally erased my phone book. Unfortunately this is the only way I can use Ovi. And I'm not satisfied with it.

I'm also still searching for a perfect way to sync with my Google calendar, because none of existing meets my requirements. That is why I've started this topic.

To be honest I wanted my message to be read by Nokia staff. Even if they wouldn't answer.
Please use plain text.

aqua1ung,

we are merely making suggestions to Nokia to make Ovi a better quality service instead of sub par application right now. it would be in Nokia's best interest to listen to their customers, improve their service and product offerings so we as customers would cling to Nokia's service.

otherwise iphone, blackberry and windows mobile phones are just a few steps away.

Nokia has to hone its software service/application capabilities before it got washed out from the democratization of mobile handsets and services.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I'm for sync between GC and O. I find GC quite useful and for me sync between O and GC would be totaly elegant and simple solution because if I use O as back up for my contacts why I wouldn't sync Calendar from my phone in the same time, and the O would put it on GC and vice versa?

I presume that one of main goals of O team is to make a popular service, why not accomplish that through making O as sort of gateway for Nokia users to other services that are on web? I understand that this might compromise primary intention of O but every service must evolve as users want it to, not creators, and while there are people who need sync between GC and O there should be an option which enables that.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

My agenda is in outlook and synchronised with my google calendar. I do not need a separate system for my calendar, but I need synchronisation and did hope that Ovi could offer this.
Ovi can be a great portal between my phone and the rest of the personal databases, but then Ovi must integrate with the other programs / services!
Nokia N82
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Try this:

http://code.google.com/p/bergamot/wiki/Swim

Syncs everything.

Please use plain text.