Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Cannot import contacts via CSV or VCF file

Contributor

Thats the point. Your csv has to have the headers the same as you see in print preview for drag&drop.

Colon or semicolon... in my case it didn't work with semicolon... don't ask why.

The behaviour with + in phone number... do you have field values within quotes "" ? If not, coud be the problem.

Re

Er

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Hi Er,

I checked the header for the Werk Mobiel (mobile phone work) and it is the same in preview and in the .csv file exported by Nokia. When I re-import that very same file without touching it , the Werk Mobiel is left empty. Its content is NOT copied back into my Nokia Phone.

The semicolon is indeed working fine for me.

All the fields are embedded in ".

I dump a 1 contact example below..

Hugo

.csv dump (I have bolded the trouble field..) : 

"Titel";"Voornaam";"Middelste naam";"Achternaam";"Achtervoegsel";"Functie";"Bedrijf";"Verjaardag";"SIP-adres";"Push-to-talk";"Gedeelde weergave";"Gebruikers-id";"Notities";"Mobiele telefoon algemeen";"Telefoon algemeen";"E-mail algemeen";"Fax algemeen";"Videogesprek algemeen";"Webadres algemeen";"VoIP-adres algemeen";"Postbus algemeen";"Toevoeging algemeen";"Straat algemeen";"Postcode algemeen";"Plaats algemeen";"Provincie algemeen";"Land/regio algemeen";"Mobiel thuis";"Telefoon thuis";"E-mail thuis";"Fax thuis";"Videogesprek thuis";"Webadres thuis";"VoIP-adres thuis";"Postbus thuis";"Toevoeging thuis";"Straat thuis";"Postcode thuis";"Plaats thuis";"Provincie thuis";"Land thuis";"Mobiel werk";"Telefoon werk";"E-mail werk";"Fax werk";"Videogesprek werk";"Webadres werk";"VoIP-adres werk";"Postbus werk";"Toevoeging werk";"Straat werk";"Postcode werk";"Plaats werk";"Provincie werk";"Land/regio werk";""
"";"Ann";"";"Aann";"";"";"";"";"";"";"";"";"Pin code

Message Edited by shameers on 27-Jul-2009 09:29 AM
Please use plain text.

Man this is some BS. I appreciate all the work you are doing. I don't thing I have the skillset to get this set up. When I export a csv with PC Suite it puts the file in a format that does not even have headers! They are multiple lines per contact. Can someone please advise on how to export the csv files with headers (single line per contact).

I am trying to get this CSV method up as a bridge between Windows Live Mail and PC Suite. Where can I get a text editor that outputs as hex 16. This is all very confusing.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi StanStad,

I use the freeware editor from http://www.pspad.com/en/

In the view options you can switch to hexadecimal too.

Have much fun descrambling this BS :-))

Hugo

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
Same probleme as flapperkewiet,

I can export and after, import my new .vcf generated.

But i cant import one or more contact as .csv or .txt recently exported from Nokia Communication Center.

Result is : "Echec de l'importation de 1 contact."

I my case defaut locale is FRENCH, separator has to be colon ( ; ) and field headers and values have to be quoted ( " )

This problem of import csv file on Nokia Communication Center explain in french language.

The result .csv file : 

"Titre ";"Prénom ";"Second prénom ";"Nom ";"Suffixe ";"Fonction ";"Société ";"Anniversaire ";"Adresse SIP ";"Appuyer pour parler ";"Partager vue ";"ID utilisateur ";"Notes ";"Téléphone portable (Général) ";"Téléphone (Général) ";"E-mail (Général) ";"Télécopie (Général) ";"Appel vidéo (Général) ";"Adresse Web (Général) ";"Adresse VoIP (Général) ";"Boîte postale (Général) ";"Extension (Général) ";"Rue (Général) ";"Code postal (Général) ";"Ville (Général) ";"État/province (Général) ";"Pays/Région (Général) ";"Portable (Personnel) ";"Téléphone (Domicile) ";"E-mail (Personnel) ";"Télécopie (Domicile) ";"Appel vidéo (Domicile) ";"Adresse Web (Personnel) ";"Adresse VoIP (Personnel) ";"Boîte postale (Domicile) ";"Extension (Domicile) ";"Rue (Domicile) ";"Code postal (Domicile)";"Ville (Domicile) ";"État/province (Domicile) ";"Pays/Région (Domicile) ";"Portable (Bureau) ";"Téléphone (Bureau) ";"E-mail (Bureau) ";"Télécopie (Bureau) ";"Appel vidéo (Bureau) ";"Adresse Web (Bureau) ";"Adresse VoIP (Bureau) ";"Boîte postale (Bureau) ";"Extension (Bureau) ";"Rue (Bureau) ";"Code postal (Bureau) ";"Ville (Bureau) ";"État/province (Bureau) ";"Pays/Région (Bureau) ";""
"Titre";"Prénom";"Second prénom";"Nom";"Suffixe";"Fonction";"Société";"";"";"";"";"";"";"

Message Edited by shameers on 27-Jul-2009 09:27 AM
Please use plain text.

I am totally disapointed with this CSV export/import feature in Nokia Communication Center. I tried every technique described by users in different threads in Nokia Discussions Forums and I am unable to successfully import a CSV file in my Nokia Phone...

I use the french version 7.1.30.9 of the Nokia PC Suite software. This software is unable to import back in what it exported to CSV... I checked the columns names, I tried saving the CSV file to Unicode, I tried to Drag&Drop the file on the phone or use the Import menu option, nothing will work.My data is encapsulated with "". Everytime I get the message that I need to check the file format...

Is there something special with the french version of the software that I need to do to make it work properly?

It's depressing. I feel I'm going to switch to Apple iPhone and get myself a Macintosh...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I suppose, the key in your situation is the French language...

Do you want to try to install the english version of Pc Suite and try with that instead ?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi Leonpadi,

So you think Nokia develops Xenofobic software ? It only likes English ? :smileyvery-happy:

Who knows ... I'm using the Dutch version , having CSV problems too....

So let's find somebody with an English installation who can confirm he/she's having the same csv problems as we do...

Anybody ?

Please use plain text.

GOOD NEWS, EUREKA,

So I uninstalled my french version of Nokia PC Suite and installed the English US version. And YES, it works. I can successfully export & import CSV files with my contacts.

You must apply the techniques discussed in this thread concerning data in the columns between "" and to use the exact same column names as the ones exported.

Cool, I am happy again!

Thanks to all for your help in this forum!

Please use plain text.

English US version is working fine for me (for me, formidable :smileyhappy: ! Thanks all !
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Well, i was almost sure about the English version of Pc Suite, as with the latest available Pc Suite's English version i managed to import the .csv data... succesfully !

Please use plain text.

Re: import contacts and defaut phone number

Hy, after import .csv file to my nokia 6300 with nokia communication center, i have problem with defaut phone number when there are multiple numbers.

I try this cases : 

• "General mobile";"General phone"; 
  • "General mobile";"Home phone";
  • "Home mobile";"Home phone";
  • "Home mobile";"General phone";

But, always the "(any) phone" is default phone, not the "mobile".

An idea how to set mobile as default phone (without duplicate mobile on "General mobile" and "General phone")  ?

Please use plain text.

Same for me with V7.1.30.9 Nokia PC suite (french localisation), I could'nt re-import exported csv files,

I found out that export is made in UTF16, ; separated " enclosed BUT:

I found out that I can (partially) import csv contacts from another brand of phone which was done in ISO and without ".

Import was done when columns names match the Nokia CSV columns (in fact only "nom" and "prénom").

Then I try to improve import from ISO file by renaming columns to match Nokia columns names, and finally found out that removing trailing space in Nokia columns names permits import from ISO file and UTF16 file.

Conclusion:

1- to re-import previously exported contact, I had only to remove trailing space in columns names.

2- you can safely use ISO coded characters, even remove the ".

3- I used a php script with easy php to generate csv ISO files I can import by Nokia PC Suite.

4- I did tests only on small files

It's amazing software Editors doing such poor software! Use free software!

alain

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi Alain,

Indeed, the csv handling by Nokia is a very poor performer....but then again, they sell mobile phones... not the software PC Suite. That's just a free of charge service to the customer.

I must admit , me too I had better (though not fully satisfying) results using the English US version instead of my local version (at least I was able to re-import my freshly exported csv file).

But it stays a tedious job....

:-)

Hugo

Please use plain text.

Hi,

I'm sorry but from my point of view, I don't agree with your concept of Nokia only selling phones and they can't be responsable for the poor working of the software PC Suite.

In today's competition a phone is just not a simple phone. If you can't export and import your contacts, sync your calendar, etc, etc with your PC with a reliable software I feel it is not a good tool compared to other solutions.

But we all have our own opinions....

Best Regards,

Andrew Hobson

Please use plain text.

Hi Alain,

I also suspected the trailing spaces after each column title names. But I was too lazy to test after all the others tests I made.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your discoveries.

I have a question: How can you determine if a CSV text file is ISO or UTF-16, what is your technique for this?

Thanks and have a nice day.

Andrew Hobson

Please use plain text.

Hi Andrew

I agree with you about the fact phone sellers have to provide all services including software. We pay global cost when buying a phone, including software because developers in Nokia must be paid I suppose!

To answer your question of how to determine if the CSV file is coded in ISO or UTF-16 or whatever, a friend gave me the tip (thanks David!):

- just open a browser and drag the file from the explorer into the browser's window : that's it

- your browser will in most case adjust character encoding to the one of the file you just dragged into.

- if not,  use display/character encoding to find which of the encoding choices give a good display of foreign characters!

I wish a lot of fun with character encoding :smileywink:

alain 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

[quote]

I have a question: How can you determine if a CSV text file is ISO or UTF-16, what is your technique for this?

[/quote]

You could google for notepad2 (freeware) and by learn using it, it has options to save a file according to your needs (ISO, UTF or whatever else). Try it and return with results :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi,

As mentioned a bit higher in this thread , I use PSPad editor.

And yes , me too , I expect Nokia to sell good software along with there cell phones.

The statement I made was meant to indicate , that Nokia-internally this may not have the highest priority...

Now if they would start to charge for PC Suite....THEN we have a different story :-)

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Finally, I can import contacts via CSV file, LOCALIZED version!

Hi!

Sorry my poor english!

After two hours fighting with the CSV import in a localized (spanish) version of the Nokia Communication Center, I've imported all my excel sheet of contacts doing this:

1. Put the fields in a separated columns in a Excel sheet

2. (IMPORTANT!) The first fields, with the column headers ARE NOT the headers exported by Nokia, and also ARE NOT the field labels in a print preview (In spanish, the same), but ARE the fields labels in the dialog (general & advanced) when you edit the contact (littles changes at work and personal labels).

3. At the last column (in all files, also the headers), I write one formule to format the csv output (as defined in my windows control panel!), in my case (with all the possibles fields) similar to:

=""""&A1&""";"""&B1&""";"""&.....&BC1&""""         (produces: "Título";"Nombre";..."País/región de trabajo")

4. Select this column, copy, paste in window's notepad (notepad.exe, not wordpad.exe)

5. (IMPORTANT!) Save as output.csv,   ANSI codification

6. Import or drag and drop to Nokia's application

I hope this helps,

Kepa,

Please use plain text.