Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Connection problem with PCSuite (Code: MMListE...

Mobile Visionary

Re: Connection problem with PCSuite (Code: MMListEmpty)

lucky, what do you have in the shell value on that key?
Please use plain text.

Hello sister bliss (top name by the way), I followed all the instructions here, and when it got to the point to change the Shell value "Explorer.exe" was already there. I really haven't got a clue want to do next, short of re-installing windows and everything that goes with it. Nightmare.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

well 1st of all you must understand that most "solutions" to this problem that most of us 6.8 users have are smth like "nokia standard procedures" which don't necessairly work. Truth been told the only ones that managed to solve it are the ones who reinstaled windows. I myself have followed 4 different long versions of looking thorugh the registry and running different commands, on top of talking to a nokia service support agent on the phone for 2 hours in front of my pc with no positive conclusion. The best thing you can do is what i'm doing, wait for a 6.9, hoping it will solve the problem, and if the next version won't solve anything, there's probably nthng left to do but to reinstall windows...which in that case i will also do myself
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

iudeus,

why are you such a negative whinger?

have you even tried this out at all? or are you just here to complain (constantly)? you never seem to try and help anyone out here...

luckyp, have you considered speaking to nokia about this? i think this was solved by people posting some log files on the internet, i guess if you get in contact with nokia they will be able to look at your logs and see what the issue is.

it is definitely strange that this isnt working for you when it does for other - what antivirus and firewall do you have installed? maybe this is waht is preventing the thing from working?
Please use plain text.

I'm using trend as my antivirus, my alarm bells started ringing because pcsuite 6.7 worked on my pc prior to upgrading to 6.8, as soon as I upgraded, it all went pete tong. (that's why I'm leaving 6.7 alone on my work pc.) Anyway, the suns out, so why on earth are we all sitting in front of our PC's, I'll keep a eye out for more fixes/suggestions in the future. All fails then a xp reinstall it is.http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discussions/board/post?board.id=pcsuite&;message.reply_to_id=4033# Submit
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

lolol, i here the uk is really hot at the moment - just my luck to miss it!!

does your work pc have trend installed?
Please use plain text.

yeah, a business edition, so it's even stricter, but PC suite 6.7 works fine there, so it's being left alone!
Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi iudeus and luckyp,

I would like to try solve your problem also. But could you get those log files from your PC (see my instruction on page 1 and save logs files to net e.g. http://www.savefile.com)?

-miksu

BTW: If you want to wait the next PC Suite or you don't want to take those log files -> it is ok for me but do not to answer anything for this message then.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hey Miksu thanks alot i was looking everywhere for a solution and yours on page two worked. Pc suite works now thanks alot!
Please use plain text.

Hi miksu,

I did all you said in the items above, but i didn1' fix the problem, I made the upload of my log file, i hope that you can help me.

thank's.
Please use plain text.

Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi fdayan,

I checked those log files and it looks that there is something failed during PC Suite installation. I made a simple bat which re-registers some of components again (see attachment).

So, could you do this:
1. Copy that RegPCSuiteComponents.bat.txt to folder "C:\Program Files\Common Files\PC Suite\" folder (ooh..sorry, in your PC's folder is "C:\Arquivos de programas\Arquivos comuns\PCSuite\")
2. Remove that ".txt" extension from that file name.
3. Run that bat (double-click it) and press OK to all RegSvr32-message boxes.
4. Start Connection Manager, does it work now?

If Connection Manager open fails again, what is the error message? And could you take the new trace logs: Add the next string in both debug applications: *servicelayer*;*regsvr32* and run steps 1,2,3 and 4 again.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have a same problem, also tried all solutions from threads in this forum but nothing worked. Interesting thing is that I tried also uninstalling it comnpletely and then installing it from local administrator account - then it works, but only from that account! If I go back to my network account (that has full administrator privilages) then I get those error messages. Does this ring a bell or I go and make those log files for you ? :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

go get the logfiles, this smacks of a permissions issue still
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

my logas are at: http://www.croatia-croatia.info/PCsuiteLogs.zip
Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi psiho,

I read little bit your log files and I have some questions:
Have you installed blackbox.exe in your PC?
If you have installed it...where you use it (and does it replace Explorer.exe process)?

Anyway: I think that this ServiceLayer.exe can not find Explorer.exe process. Could you open Windows's Task Manager and can you find Explorer.exe process from there (with correct user name)?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]
Thx Miksu,that's it!
It crossed my mind the other day but I forgot about it while going through many other suggested solutions. I'm using blackbox as default shell which meanse explorer.exe is not even loaded at startup. The reason why local administrator account worked was because I left explorer as default shell there.

Unfortunatelly, I'm not willing to sacrifice Blackbox to get advantages of PCSuite 6.8. The only reson I upgraded was multimedia player that could play 3gp files from my Nokia 6280 (6.7 cannot ply my 3gp files)

I'm thinking of 3 posible solutions:
1) leave both explorer AND blackbox loaded at the same time (I do have 1GB memory but it seems like a waste)
2) reinstall 6.7 but somehow copy media player from 6.8
3) wait for future PCSuite versions that might not need explorer.exe? with 2 and 3 maybe you can help with advice?

thx again.

Message Edited by psiho on 28-Jun-2006
09:03 AM

Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi psiho,

I found quite interesting web page from blackbox. I think that you should check this: http://www.fbmsoftware.com/spyware-net/Application/BlackBox/

So I think that best solution for you is get rid of that blackbox....
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Miksu,
it is not the same "blackbox". Blackbox I'm using is window manager based on Linux version and ported to windows. It is one of the flavours called BBlean and is defenetly not spyware as also is reported by my antivirus and anti-spyware software. BTW it's OpenSource which makes it very hard to hide spyware inside :smileywink:

more on windows BlackBox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BB4Win
Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi psiho,

OK, nice to hear that :smileyhappy:
Here is my comments for your solutions:
Option 1 -> Use it. And when Nokia releases a new version of PC Suite, check is this "problem" exist anymore.
Option 2 -> it is very difficult to "see" what dll files you have take with Media Player!
Option 3 -> Sorry, I don't know when Nokia releases a new PC Suite version....
Please use plain text.