Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

E51 - can't connect to PC

Advisor
Accepted Solution

E51 - can't connect to PC

Hi everyone!

I have a big problem. First time I've installed PC Suite on my PC and after that I've connected my E51 through cable and it was OK. After a while, I had to update my PC Suite, I've connected my phone again and it was OK.

Today I wanted to connect my phone and I've got an error in connection, about IR connection which could not be established. I am connecting my phone through cable, why infrared popped out? I press cancel to choose other type of connection but all of them are grayed-out. I've reinstalled the PC Suite, the connectivity drivers, cleaned the registry, etc. - nothing. The same problem.

Here is a screenshot of the message I get: 

http://img30.picoodle.com/img/img30/2/5/6/mikeleus/f_nokiaproblem_01fa8ce.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3376/nokiaproblem.jpg (same pic, diff server, in any case :smileyhappy: )

Counsellor

Re: E51 - can't connect to PC

Try a following workaround: start the PC Suite with the phone not connected (cable not connected, radio connections of the PC switched off). Then, launch an application of your choice (for example, "Synchronize"). Leave it running, but close the PC Suite completely (close its main window and the resident program by righ-clicking on the icon in the system bar and coosing the relevant option). Now try to connect the phone.

I also have E51 and it doesn't connect in PC Suite 7.1.18.0 and 7.1.26.0. I have discovered the workaround by chance. It is not entirely satisfactory, but works and helps me survive until Nokia issues a new version of the soft.

LChmiel

Today: Nokia E51 (240.01) RM-244, firmware 300.34.56, PC Suite 7.1.30.9; WinXP SP3; HP 6730b
Advisor

Unbelievable.... Firstly how did you ever find this workaround? and secondly, how can Nokia release a major (dot-oh) version of the PC Suite with such a bug.

Great stuff lchmiel and thanks a lot. :smileyhappy: 

Counsellor

From the last to the first.

I am greatly disappointed by the Nokia software. I have always considered Nokia as a high quality product. These days all the equipment breaks down. This is not heaven; just the Earth. On the other hand, I have had several Siemens phones before: rather worse than better. So, we have to make do with workarounds.

How did I find... Do you know an animal called badger or brock or carcajou? It is clever, it can even open a box closed with a staple. Not every chimpanzee can do this! The badger puts its paws into everything, and it tries and tries. So, I have done this the badger's mode.

LChmiel

Today: Nokia E51 (240.01) RM-244, firmware 300.34.56, PC Suite 7.1.30.9; WinXP SP3; HP 6730b
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

To make things easier, you can:

1. run Nokia PC Suite with no phone connected;
  2. drag the icons of the subprgrams you use to the desktop;
  3. close PC Suite and stop it entirely in the system dashboard;
  4. connect the phone and use the subprograms comfortably by clicking their icons in the desktop.
Message Edited by lchmiel on 11-May-2009 11:15 PM

LChmiel

Contributor

still the pc suite doesn't recognize a cable connection from my nokia 7210 supernova.. why is that so?
Contributor

can i ask? what do you mean by dragging those sub programs? what sub programs ??
Contributor

nevermind.. thanks anyway to your ideas, what i just did was go to control panel and repair the pc connectivity solution whew!!
Counsellor

lloydi12345 wrote:
can i ask? what do you mean by dragging those sub programs? what sub programs ??

By dragging the subprograms I meant the dragging of the icons of the subprograms visible in the panel of PC Suite, like "Backup", "Synchronize", "File manager" etc. to the desktop. Simply this, nothing more.

LChmiel

Advisor

Thanks a lot for the smart workaround, but I haven't tried it yet. :smileyhappy:

A friend of mine suggested me to install Ovi Suite. I did that and thereafter the PC suite works perfectly without any connectivity issues. So another advice for the ones having this problem in the future, is to install Ovi Suite and then install PC Suite, or just run it as usual. It worked for me :smileyhappy:

Counsellor

Hi, mikeleus ,

Thank you for an interesting solution. OVI Suite is not compatible with the E-series, so I didn't consider it. I shall try.

Btw, the version for which N-series phone did you choose?

LChmiel

Advisor

Well I didn't choose any versions, I've simply downloaded the webinstaller from their site, which is here - http://www.ovi.com/services/support/nokiaovisuite

Try it by yourself, maybe it will work :smileyhappy:

Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, for me it didn't :smileyindifferent:, so I remain with the mine and wait for a new PC Suite version.

Btw, new software for E51 is available. It doesn't help to solve our problem, though.

Message Edited by lchmiel on 24-May-2009 12:05 AM

LChmiel

Advisor

This is why I hate software...

It works good with somebody and totally not with anybody else.. :smileyvery-happy:

I'd submit your post as a solutio but I can't undo my selection.

Counsellor

[ Edited ]
Don't bother; but, if you wish, you can give it a Kudos.
Message Edited by lchmiel on 24-May-2009 12:37 AM

LChmiel

Advisor

I'll "kudo" all your messages if it helps! :smileyvery-happy:
Counsellor

Well.. just those which give a solution. Thanks!

LChmiel