Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E61 - PC Suite - Offline File - Sync issues

Advisor

E61 - PC Suite - Offline File - Sync issues

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help please
I've seen another post similar to this, and I've tried the suggestions, but I still have the problems.....

Phone: E61
Phone Software number: (I forget, but Nokia updater said it was the latest version)
PC Suite Version: 6.83.14.1
OS Service Pack: 4
Connection: USB
Email Client: Outlook 2002
Office Client: MS Office 2000
Sync Settings: Update Both Ways
Conflict Settings: err.... Phone wins I think
Synced Items: Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Tasks. No email is synced.

OK, whats happening is this...

When my user connects his phone to the laptop, he gets 3 messages pop up, saying "Your offline folder file could not be configured. C:\Outlook\Outlook.ost"
He clicks OK on each and they go away and all SEEMS to be OK

Then when he looks in his contacts, he has a new seemingly blank contact.
When you open that contact, all the personal details are blank, but in the notes box at the bottom of the General tab, it has a load of info about using Contacts. Not sure if this is from the E61 or from Outlook

Also, my user may edit or delete an appointment or contact from the phone, and when he gets back to the laptop and syncs, the edited/deleted item will reappear as normal on the phone.
Similarly his PA may edit or delete something from his account (PA has delegate access to Outlook) and when the user syncs, the edited/deleted item in Outlook is restored.

He has had issues in the past with the phone, in that for no reason it stopped syncing.
An update to the latest version of PC Suite always sorts that.
Also he has recently had his phone replaced as his originally wouldnt power off properly.
It has had isses before and after the phone was changed.

What I've Tried

Uninstalled and reinstalled PC Suite, the latest version (6.83.14.1) was already on it, but I downloaded a fresh version anyway and reinstalled - No Good
Downloaded and installed Nokia Updater. Checked the software on the phone, and that was the latest version too.
I guess I could set the CONFLICT settings to Always Ask if there are confllicts, but my user assures me that he rarely (if ever) on his phone edits the same item as his PA does on the laptop (well not actually ON my users laptop, but via his Delegate Access)

Do you think this may be because my user has given delegate access to someone else?
We have about 5 of these devices in the company, and this is the ONLY one to have any problems.
As far as I'm aware, none of the other users have given PA's Delegate Access

Not really sure what else to try

Any help and suggestions will be very gratefully received

Many thanks

Steve
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: E61 - PC Suite - Offline File - Sync issues

noone out there with any thoughts??

Cheers
Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi,

Create a new Contacts folder to outlook and set PC Sync to using that one. Does it help?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

17-May-200709:41 PM
miksu wrote:
Hi,

Create a new Contacts folder to outlook and set PC Sync to using that one. Does it help?

G'morning Miksu,

Thanks for that, I'll ty when I get to work shortly

I'll post back the results today if the user is at work.
Cheers

Steve
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I got the same problem. It still doesn't work. Has anyone already a solution?

Best regards,
Harrie
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]
Hi Miksu,

I tried the following....

a new contacts folder, no good
a new calendar, no good
a new outlook profile, no good
wiped all the phone info (contacts etc) and resynced afresh from laptop, no good

I'm still getting the same issues...

1. Random appointments that have been edited, moved, deleted, reappear in their original form

2. "Offline folder file could not be configured" even though when I recreated users profile I created a new file, and also my user is a local admin.
Each time the phone tries to sync this message pops up 3 times, you click OK each time and then it continues
I've also ensured that everyone has full control to the folder containing the offline file, and also shared it out, just incase PC Suite is having trouble with permissions.

One thing I did notice is, that any appt created on the phone is defaulted to a Private Sync, whereas all created on the users laptop and his PA's PC are Public Sync

Havent yet managed to make a connection between Private and Public synced items but maybe this is my problem

I've also set the phone to sync every 15 minutes whilst connected, as thought maybe the info is old by the time the user disconnects and goes offline.

Also, PC Suite is set to Sync in Both Directions. THis is needed as my User does add stuff that he needs syncing to his Outlook profile.

Does anyone think that having a user creating/editing etc on the phone, and also on his laptop, and also a PA editing as a delegate via the PA's own PC is freaking out the phone/PC Suite... too many cooks and all that?

Cheers

Steve

Message Edited by stevepud on 31-May-200710:26 AM

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have also updated Outlook to Sp3 - Still no good
Disabled Offline use In Outlook - The 3 pops up stopped, and all seemed to sync - enabled Offline use again, and 3 popups are back. grrrrrr

Oh, and conflicts rules are set to allow Outlook to win, not the phone

Any ideas please?

Cheers

Steve
Please use plain text.

Hi folks, I'm having a nearly identical issue to the one Stevepud originally described.

When I connect my phone to my desktop over bluetooth and click Syncronise in Nokia PC suite, I gets 3 messages pop up, saying:

---------------------------
Microsoft Outlook Offline Folders
Your offline folder file could not be configured. C:\Documents and Settings\davids\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.ost
OK

If I clicks OK on each they go away and all SEEMS to be OK. Syncronisation is successful, despite those messages. In contrast to stevepud's report, I don't see any blank contacts either in Outlook or on my phone. Also, there is no file of that name on my PC.

Phone: N95

When I entered *#0000# in my N95 to display firmware information I get the following displayed:

V 10.0.018
15-03-07
RM-159
Nokia N95 (41.01)

PC Suite Version: 6.83.14.1
OS Service Pack: 2
Connection: Bluetooth (using Microsoft's stack, I think)
Email Client: Outlook 2002
Sync Settings: Update Both Ways
Conflict Settings: Outlook wins
Synced Items: Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Tasks.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Someone of the IT department solved the problem.

1) Uninstall PC Suite (including all lines in the registry (that's important)
2) Switch off off-line sync in Outlook
3) Install PC Suite en let it search for the data of the exchange server (so you need a network connection)
4) Switch on offline syncing.

Now PC Suite searches for the online info and not for the outlook.ost file.

BR
Harrie
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks Harrie...

I'll give it a try

Steve
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Steve,

Are you able to comment if Harrie's suggestion above has helped any? I would comment that uninstalling and reinstalling PC Suite should not be required, as simply creating new synchronisation settings should do the same thing. But in any case, I would be interested to hear if these steps have helped with your issue.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi Synch

I didnt get round to trying it in the end.
Basically, the phone isnt a supported product by my dept, and as I had spent so much time on it already, I was told to leave it.

Cheers

Steve
Please use plain text.