Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E71 - Nokia PC Suite - does not connect ? unable t...

Contributor

E71 - Nokia PC Suite - does not connect ? unable to find device

I installed Nokia PC Suite (v7.1) on my PC's:

Connected Nokia E71 with USB-cable

(Mass Storage > Via Windows Explorer  I can see the directories on the memory card of the E71)

Problem-1: Nokia PC Suite gives error: "unable to find device"

(while phone is unlocked, USB mode is not applicable)

Problem-2:  Also Nokia Software Updater does not work (cannot find device)

Happens both on XP and Vista PC.

In other words... I can't access my E71 at all. Who knows a solution ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: E71 - Nokia PC Suite - does not connect ? unable to find device

When you connect the E71 to a PC it should give you a list of modes on the E71's screen.

What other options does it give you?

Also can you let us know the firmware version of your E71?  Dial *#0000# to find that info.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hello Psychomania,

thnx for your reply,

on the E71 screen I see (after connecting cable to PC)::

- mass storage

- webcam

- com port

after *#0000# it says: "language set default"

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

I had an awful feeling that you would post that.

Unfortunately your E71 is not really a nokia.  It is a Chinese made counterfeit that does not contain nokia software or hardware.  The givaways are "web cam" and "com port" as real nokias do not have these options.

It cannot be used with nokia PC suite or the updater, or any other nokia service or software.

You should seek a full refund from the retailer.

Message Edited by psychomania on 04-Aug-2009 01:25 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

That's really bad news ! It looks só identical, amazing,

I will go back, still have the invoice.

Thanks for this info

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Good luck, hope the seller gives you a full refund without any trouble.

Once you get your cash back report them to the local authorities for a bit of payback :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hello all.

Im wondering if you can help, im having a very similar problem, whilst i can connect my E71 and get complete functionality out of Nokia PC Suite, I cannot Update the software.

Each time the software updater searches for the device and displays "Unable to find device". I have tried doing this with the device in the following USB modes (PC Suite, Mass Storage, Media transfer) but as yet have had no luck!

also, having tried the *#0000# on my device, it just gives the notification beep and returns to the home screen

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you may have

Dave Matthews 

Please use plain text.
Gravilox

Re: E71 - Nokia PC Suite - WAS WORKING BUT NOW does not connect ? unable to find device

:smileymad:

Have had E71x for few months and have been regularly connecting/updating via USB on PC. Last night, checked copy of mp4 on storage card.

Today, E71x cannot be found by PC suite....!

From the E71x, storage card is fine; files are there and can run/see them.

I updated the Nokia sw updater(2.4.5), reinstalled PC Suite (7.1.40.1); poweredoff the E71x, removed E71x battery, SIM and SDHC card; replaced and powered back up. SAME Problem...????

Suggestions...?

Please use plain text.
Gravilox

Re: E71 - Nokia PC Suite - WAS WORKING BUT NOW does not connect ? unable to find device

:smileysad:

really Really REALLY vexing!!!

SAME E71x + Same cable to another XP system; new install of 7.1.40.1  pcsuite » and it connects fine: all the functionality of the PC Suite is now (again!) available...ONLY problem: My mail account and contacts and calendar are NOT ON THIS PC....!

It would >SEEM< that there is a recent problem with XP, however:

1. I have not installed anything since it was working; and,

2. I restored PC to a time when the PC Suite DID connect correctly --> still no connectivity

3. I uninstalled then re-installed the USB driver (via HW config) ---> still no connectivity.

I spoke with Nokia tech support and at&t tech support:

Nokia tech support dropped off the line after they decided that the problem was with microsoft.

My provider tech support (AT&T) scrammed as well.

I was hoping that a REAL nokiaguru coould give me some suggestions....

TIA.

Please use plain text.
rfsimon

Gravilox I've done everything you have with the same results. I find it hard to believe the problem can't be worked around somehow.
Please use plain text.
rfsimon

Hmmm...suddenly today everything connects again. Thanks whomever at Nokia figured it out.

Please use plain text.
Meeee

Hi!

I have similar problem... I have installed PC suite and all drivers, but when I plug in my E71 with the USB cable it doesn't show anything. "No device found". I've tried selecting Mass storage and PC suite from the phone when connecting but nothing appears on my PC.

Even when I plug in the USB there is no sound either...

Can someone help me please?

Please use plain text.
xFixerUpperx

Hi, i just ran into the same problem with the "Device Not Found" I will give the steps for what fixed  my problem.

Connect the phone to your computer via data cable. Select "Connect Pc to Web". Then, inside the folders run the installer.exe** and select Repair instead of Uninstall. Now your device should work like a charm.

**If the installer.exe interrupts you saying that the version installed on the computer is newer than what you are trying to install and exits itself, you will have to go to control panel to uninstall Nokia Pc Suite and reinstall it with the phone you plan on using so it will be the correct version. Even after you reinstall Nokia Pc Suite you may have to run the installer.exe a second time and select repair before it will work. I did anyways.

I hope this fixes your problems you are having. Also the reason it is hard to get tech support for stuff like this is because when you can connect your mobile internet to the pc you can use a lot of data because you have more access to things. Eventhough you may have an unlimited data plan most if not all companies will ban your phone possibly without notice if you use more data then they want you too. Also tethering, which is what we are all trying to do. Is illegal for most if not all phone companies. Always best to read the Terms and Conditions.

As far as the USB not beeping when connecting the cable. I didn't hear mine either but it worked but if yours isn't working try this: Start -> Right-Click Computer -> Properties -> Device Manager-> Check all USB devices to  make sure they are working properly and you may need to reinstall them.

Please reply to let me know if anything worked. If it did please check solution button to allow other people to find my post. Thanks for any replys to my post.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kabir22

im having a problem .. when i connect my phone it displays 
pc suite
mass storage etc
any of my selection doesnot work .. no reponse on computer and phone becomes normal as the cable is unpluged .. 

Please use plain text.