Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: How to sync with Mac in OS X 10.7 Lion?

Professor
kurtkaufman

Apologies if some of the things I state you already know, but here is the entire procedure:

If you look back to earlier posts in this topic, you'll see a link that someone has kindly provided to iSync: goo.gl/xyusc

If you click on this link, you will download the latest version of iSync.  Click on the iSync.zip archive in your downloads folder and it will expand into the application itself. Move the iSync application into your Applications folder. 

Now, try and run the Nokia plugin installer (it should run unless there is something about Lion that prevents its functioning). If it does not install, then use the procedure I outlined above to manually install the plugin.  Now, run iSync, plug in your phone, and do an Add Device from within iSync.

Should work.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SaltWater

I am a Mac User for almost 20 years and Apple is becoming the dark side, now they takefeatures out of their OS with not mention to the costumers, iSync out just to make it dificult to use other phone than an iPhone, but Nokia are so much better, Sound Quality, Video, everything, I don't need retina display for nothing, but it's important to have a good view in sunlight, battery life and compatibilty, java, flash, video call to any phone, and so much more, people are getting blind these days, Nokia offers much more for so much less bucks!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jups

Thanks (jayemm999, too) for your invaluable help.

the package installed and ran perfectly on a fresh MacBook Air with Lion for N97. Just remember to change the settings of the iSync back to your latest set-up.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
massive323

I've tried the above, I've managed to d.load isync and can see my phone with the same preferences included that were on my snow leopard install but hard wired or blue toothed i keep getting this message:

Wednesday, 5 October 11 17:37
 [Nokia N97 mini] Connection to the phone failed.
Please make sure that your phone is turned on. If this error occurs again, please restart your phone.
 Device “Nokia N97 mini” synchronization failed.

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
contrabass

I have the same problem as above, I work with OS 7 (lion), reinsalled Isync updated the nokia n97 plugin but got still got this message (in dutch): maandag 10 oktober 11 17:55
 [blauw ivoor] Verbinding met de telefoon mislukt.
Controleer of uw telefoon is ingeschakeld. Zet uw telefoon uit en weer aan als deze fout zich opnieuw voordoet.
 Synchronisatie van apparaat 'blauw ivoor' mislukt, which means failed to connect with the phone etc.

Please help!!:smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lamaline

You just saved my day! thank you. Didn't have time machine either so that link is really a life saver!
Please use plain text.
Employee

If you have your Snow Leopard machine still available this is what you can do:

- Go to your Snow Leopard machine

- Go to /Applications folder

- Copy iSync.app to a USB stick

- Go to your Lion machine

- Copy iSync.app from USB stick to /Applications folder

- Download iSync plugin for your phone from nokia.com/mac/isync

Should work.

Please use plain text.
caitz1

so have you found a way to sync your nokia with your mac?

Please use plain text.
caitz1

Thanks so so much!!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
gijsbert79

I have a Nokia 5230 and a mac mini running OS X Lion. Both the phone and computer with latest updates. iSync is installed and works properly for the agenda but not for the contacts.

The problem is it seems to work, but when I enter a new contact on the mac, it doesn't appear on the phone after a sync. It doesn't work the other way around either.

I've made 'resets' to both the phone and the syncronisation history.

It worked fine till a couple of days ago. I've configured an ICloud account, could that have something to do with the issue?

thanks

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gijsbert79

update: the problem is due to ICloud, which changes the behavior of the address book (ICloud contacts vs. Contacts on my mac)
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
msabag

Thanks jayemm999! That's exactly what I needed!
Please use plain text.
hanuka

[ Edited ]

gijsbert79 wrote:
update: the problem is due to ICloud, which changes the behavior of the address book (ICloud contacts vs. Contacts on my mac)

Can you tell me how to fix this problem? I have the same issue on my macos lion. Calendars are sent properly, butno contacts at all.

I installed iSync on Lion, than I installed the n8 pluggin. Phone connected via USB can receive calendars but no contacts from my address book.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gijsbert79

Can you tell me how to fix this problem? I have the same issue on my macos lion. Calendars are sent properly, butno contacts at all.

The only way to 'fix' it for the contacts is to turn off iCloud contact synchronisation. Be aware that you loose 'contact groups' then. I do have several groups of contacts, and I don't want to loose that info.

So, sadly enough, I stopped syncing until I find a solution that works properly.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mcnalljj

Anyone tried MSSync, and should Nokia Link work?
Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

Are you referring to MS Live Sync? I don't see it as being compatible with Nokia phones:

http://www.macworld.com/article/138771/2009/02/livesync.html

and I believe that Nokia Sync is used only with s40 phones:

http://www.sync-mac.com/nokia-sync.html

Thanks anyway.

Please use plain text.
PorridgeBoy

Just wanted to add to this conversation with my experience.

Like the rest of you, I recently switched to OS X Lion and then discovered iSync was missing. I own a Nokia E71 phone and up until then was happily keeping my contacts etc synchronised using iSync. I restored iSync using Time Machine and it worked perfectly first time. I didn't have to restore any old drivers either, just iSync itself.

If you've never used Time Machine before (I hadn't), first bring up a Finder window and click on Applications. Then enter Time Machine. Go back to a point in time before you installed OS X Lion. Find iSync in the Applications folder and right click on the icon. Choose "Restore "iSync" to..." and then choose the Applications folder again when a folder dialog box comes up. Then run the sucker like you used to. It was that easy for me.

If this doesn't work for you, you might want to try an application I found in the App Store called "PhoneCopy for Mac". It's free.

I think it's time Nokia expanded its "PC Suite" software to work with Macs. Do both Apple and Nokia really want to enrage all the customers who have a phone with one company and a computer with another? Nokia, if you read these posts (which I doubt), this is enough for me to ditch my Nokia phone and go with an iPhone, even though I think you have the better phone product. 

Please use plain text.
dbrumley

This looks like an interesting solution:

Sync OS X Lion Address Book with Nokia device - Mac OS X Hints

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120527223436266

I plan to try it after I upgrade to Lion today :-\

I just hope that Mountain Lion doesn't break it and send us scurrying back to the drawing board!

Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

[ Edited ]

@dbrumley

Just don't use iCloud, otherwise you'll have to set up a new user on the Mac, etc. Perhaps someone will check to see whether iSync still works with 10.8. I wouldn't get my hopes up, though.

Apple seems determined to get all of their Mac users to use the iPhone.  I guess it's their prerogative.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
alex_taylor

Yes, since iSynс is no longer available on Mac, syncing with Nokia devices can be a problem. Anyway, there are several third-party apps that can sync data between Mac and Nokia - you can easily Google them.

For example, Nokia S40 devices can be synced with SyncMate - this can be a nice solution for those, who own S40 devices.

Please use plain text.