Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

How to sync with Mac in OS X 10.7 Lion?

Counsellor
pjhaas
Accepted Solution

How to sync with Mac in OS X 10.7 Lion?

I just installed OS X 10.7 Lion and noticed the iSync app is gone? How do I sync my contacts and calendar between my Nokia N8 and my MacBook Pro?

Registered Member
Philofaxy

Re: How to sync with Mac in OS X 10.7 Lion?

Hi

Had the same problem. There is an app in the App Store, but it costs £14 a bit much considering Lion is only £21...

So I went back in to my Time Machine back up and restored iSync from there. Bingo it works under Lion perfectly. Sync settings all remembered.

Try it.

Steve

Counsellor
pjhaas

Amazing! This is the first time Time Machine is actually useful to me. It works. Thank you!

Registered Member
patrickmurphy

Yeah! Worked great! It was the first time I used Time Machine too. Had no idea you could install something from there. Looks good! Thanks for the tip! :-)

Registered Member
JonSadler

I cannot see isync in time machine guys; where is it? I have nothing showing in applications post lion upgrade

Thanks 

Jon

Counsellor
pjhaas

You have to go back further in time to the pre lion upgrade.

Registered Member
JonSadler

Bum. I meant pre-lion. But the apps are empty? Any idea?

Registered Member
JonSadler

pjhaas....got there; huge thanks!!!!

Jon
jesperhallgren

Hey!

Is there any solution to this if I did not use Time Machine before? I would like to be able to sync my N8 as before...

Kind regards/

Jesper

Registered Member
cederbourg

I've managed to install iSync version 3.1.2 and now needs the plugin for E72 to use it with my phone. But when trying to install the plugin it's shows to be impossible, with this message: "Please upgrade to the latest version of iSync using Software Update".

I can't find a later version (which is it?) and don't have it saved in time machine.

Grateful for guidance!

Registered Member
clb53

Thanks v. much Steve, iSync retrieved from Time machine  works fine

Registered Member
Cakeboy79

That's all well and good for you guys who had a Mac before Lion, but I bought my new iMac just after Lion came out and can't access iSync through my Time Machine.

Is there any other way of syncing up as I don't want to get rid of my Nokia N8 as I like it, but if I can't sync my photos up it's essentially a useless bit of kit to me.

Someone mentioned an App from the Mac Store, does anyone know what that is as I don't mind paying for something especially as I'm stuck with the Nokia for another 18 months

Registered Member
jayemm999

[ Edited ]

If you can't get iSync back from a Snow Leopard backup, try this link to download a copy of the last (latest) version of iSync. It will start the download immediately (there'll be a quick animation, then iSync will be your download folder. Copy it to Applications.

goo.gl/xyusc

Sage

This solution is only temporarely. As soon as iCloud comes alive you may wonder if it still works, and if so most likely not after summer 2012. iSync is syncing through me.com and I don't know what will happen after that stops working.

For now I am looking for another solution that is more permanent. Anyone any idea exept from buying syncing app's?

Is it possible to sync in Lion wiht Google or yahoo and from there to ur Nokia?

Professor
kurtkaufman

[ Edited ]

If you sync only Calendar data and contacts, will iSync continue to work after summer 2012? I'll hold off of Lion for quite a while if it breaks the ability to sync at all with my phone.

But see here:

"...The core sync services frameworks within OS X (and as carried over into Lion) are definitely mainstream, as they support other sync facilities such as the iOS sync from iTunes, and also MobileMe. I do not anticipate this going away any time soon...."

http://slashusr.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/the-missing-isync-in-os-x-lion-and-what-to-do-about-it/

Registered Member
cederbourg

This feels impossible. I've downloaded the version linked here by jayemm999 but the plugin for E72 still won't work. I only get this message:

"the phone plug-in can't be installed at this disc. Please upgrade to the latest version of iSync using Software Update."

I'm almost desperate here, I need my to sync my ical with my phone!

Very grateful for any tip...

Professor
kurtkaufman

[ Edited ]

If you're feeling intrepid, here's a way to manually install the plugin:

1-Obtain the plug-in installer from Nokia. Open the dmg archive.

2-Right-click on the installer package itself (not the dmg archive). Select "show package contents" from the contextual menu.

3-Open the Contents folder.

4-Drag the item "Archive.pax.gz" to the desktop.

5-Right-click on Archive.pax.gz and open it with "Archive Utility"

6-You'll see a folder called "Library" on the desktop. Inside this Library folder you'll see a "PhonePlugins" folder. Inside this PhonePlugins folder is a folder with a name that probably begins with "Nokia_" (For instance, for my n79, the name of this folder is "Nokia_N79_isync_plugin_2v1.phoneplugin").  Drag the Nokia_ folder to a pre-existing folder in the following location:

Mac HD (or whatever you name your primary hard drive)/Library/PhonePlugins.  If the PhonePlugins folder doesn't already exist, you may create one in the path above.

7- So, what you should end up with is: Mac HD/Library/PhonePlugins/Nokia_...

Good luck!

talentseed

This is awesome information thanks very much, however now that I have it in the library how do you launch it now?  It isn't showing up in apps so not sure how to activate it as such.

Professor
kurtkaufman

[ Edited ]

Assuming you've installed iSync, can't you run iSync, then go to the menu Devices-->Add Device, etc.? (Also see Help under iSync; make sure your phone is discoverable under Bluetooth or USB.)

By not running the installer, to my knowledge the only difference is that you don't end up with a package installer receipt. My guess is that the plugin should still work with iSync.

I am still running 10.6 (Snow Leopard) here, so I can't test this out for you.  Maybe someone else can confirm this. Please let us know either way.

Thanks

talentseed

[ Edited ]

thanks the issue is that it won't let me reinstall ISync.  I have the nice little package but when I click on it it refuses to open, therefore I can not get it into my list of applications. I had it working nicely before under SnowLeopard so phone is discoverable. I get a message saying "the phone plug-in can not be installed on this disk. Please upgrade to the latest version of Isync using software update".   And I thought that was what I was installing was the latest version, isn't that what the package is? It worked fine on SnowLeopard and was easy to install....

Thanks