Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: MMlist empty

Registered Member

It worked originally with version 6.5 out of the installation CD. Than I upgraded it to version 6.6 and then 6.7 and that is when I started getting the MMlist empty error messages, no matter how many times I uninstalled and installed back the software. The phone was recognized and correctly installed as a "6680 USB AT Modem" or something like this

...I also tried to re-install version 6.5 but I got an error message as if the uninstal program DID not remove all signs of the previous installations. So it installed itself incompletely. I tried to remove it, but unfortunately now the Nokia PC suite is NOT listed in the Installed Application list (in the Control Panel. I believe that the complete uninstallation of the program may have to be done manually)

So I installed back version 6.7, something differed from the previuos installations, eg. it asked me to reboot the system, etc., I hoped but, again, I got the same MMList empty message.

On the phone side, in the "synchronization" submenu in the "connectivity" menu there is no USB data transfer option in the profile submenu, only Bluetooth and Web.

Since this problem has been eating up my time and my time is worth a lot of money, I think that over the weekend I'll end up buying a Sony phone. Sorry folks, but Nokia is not showing to be on top of this issue.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

but you havent mentioned that you have tried the soloution offered here.

if you did, did it work?
Please use plain text.
Professor
mobile_maniac

Hi giorgio_v,

Nokia may not be "on top" of this issue... but should they be? The MMList error results from a problem with your PC... nothing to do with the Nokia PC Suite... and therefore nothing to do with Nokia.

Try following the ealier post in this thread which explains how to edit your registry which seems to have resolved this issue with most (if not all) people that were having this issue.

Hope this helps... and let us know how you get on.
Please use plain text.

What version of Windows is being used? 2000. What Service Pack is installed? SP4. What version of PC Suite is installed? 6.7.22 What is the connection method? IR. If you are getting an error message, it would be a good idea if you could let us know the exact error message you are getting: It is the usual "MMlist Empty - No connection type could be found". Also, try a quick search before you post, some of the issues here have been discussed quite often. You may find your issue has appeared already and been solved: My issue has appeared but apparently no solution has been found. I have been able to get v5.8 going, but it is too old to support my 6610i. My file system is NTFS but I have not been able to view/change permissions as others have using XP. I have also done all the usual uninstall, clean-up, re-install mentioned many times here. As I have been reading these posts for some months, I will continue, hoping a solution may be found.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

the soloution is already there. you need to alter the permissions on the registry.

if you cannot do that because you dont know how to use the registry you might want to get someone to help you out, its not a good idea editing stuff in there if you dont know what your doing.

if you can do this because its a work machine, get your it guys to do it for you.
Please use plain text.

Has anyone explained how to alter the permissions on the registry in win2k?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

it was my understanding that this is not possible in windows 2000
Please use plain text.
Sage

It is possible to change permissions in Win2K if the file system is NFTS but not if your harddrive is formated in FAT32.
The views I present are my OWN and not of any organisation I may belong too.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

26-Mar-2006
02:59 PM
teurastaja wrote:
It is possible to change permissions in Win2K if the file system is NFTS but not if your harddrive is formated in FAT32.

i think he means NTFS...

to find out if you are using an NTFS drive go into my computer and highlight C:

you will get an info bar on the left hand of the screen telling you whats there. also, depending on what view my computer is in, the file system will be under the column file system on the right of the screen.

if no luck there, right click C: and choose properties, you can find out from there.
Please use plain text.
Sage

oh. sorry....spelling mistake ;-). Of course I meant NTFS and not NFTS.....
The views I present are my OWN and not of any organisation I may belong too.
Please use plain text.

Yes my file system IS NTFS....so HOW do I change the REGISTRY permissions?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

in the same way as the solution suggests.

however, there are many reasons as to why you might not be able to do it. not having the right permissions on the computer could be one of them if this your pc at work, or a laptop provided by work.

as i suggested earlier, its not wise to play with the registry. i would strongly advise you to get someone to help you with it and actually sit down with you.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

actually, you are all kind of wrong.

you are not able to change permissions for registry branches using regedit on windows 2000, only win xp, 2003 etc.

however, its not all doom and gloom. if you need to change permissions in windows 2000, follow these steps (to the letter, dont do anything other than this as it may knacker your computer, also forgive the caps, thats how it appears on screen):

click start
click run
type regedt32 and press enter

this will open up a slightly different screen with loads of windows, click on the one marked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on local machine. Scroll down to SOFTWARE and double click it. Scroll down to PCSUITE and highlight it, now click on security on the top menu bar and choose permissions. Make sure everything has full control etc.

there you go, that should work for you.
Please use plain text.

Hi,

I spent a few weeks trying everything mentioned in the forums, and I've finally sorted it.

First check your permissions in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Nokia and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PCSuite

For those using Windows 2000, use regedt32.exe to allow you to check the permissions.

Uninstall anything to do with PCSuite from Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs.

Then use Nokia_PC_Suite_Cleaner_3_3.exe and select "I receive an error message" then run until finished.

Run the program again and this time select "Other problem". Reboot, reload PC Suite's latest version, then hopefully it should work ok. It did for me......finally!!

Good Luck
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

why did you feel the need to copy sister_bliss's orginial post?

congrats to her by the way for figuring this out before the rest of us :smileyhappy:!!
Please use plain text.

To answer your question, my view was set to earliest post first, and I was unaware of this until I couldn't find my post. I didn't see her post until after I selected latest post first.

I doubt you read the rest of my post either, maybe you should just focus on being nice!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

how do you open up 'regedit'? plz help me ive been trying to fix this porblem for tiiiime. ty :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

taz, just follow the instructions sister_bliss left.

type everything exactly as below where told and you will be able to fix the problem....

28-Mar-2006
03:23 PM
sister_bliss wrote:
actually, you are all kind of wrong.

you are not able to change permissions for registry branches using regedit on windows 2000, only win xp, 2003 etc.

however, its not all doom and gloom. if you need to change permissions in windows 2000, follow these steps (to the letter, dont do anything other than this as it may knacker your computer, also forgive the caps, thats how it appears on screen):

click start
click run
type regedt32 and press enter

this will open up a slightly different screen with loads of windows, click on the one marked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on local machine. Scroll down to SOFTWARE and double click it. Scroll down to PCSUITE and highlight it, now click on security on the top menu bar and choose permissions. Make sure everything has full control etc.

there you go, that should work for you.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

thnx, bt i tried al dese things n it still doesnt work!!! ive done EVERYTHING n i stil doesnt work!!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

so what error are you getting now?
Please use plain text.