Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

MTP Device Failed - Nokia N97

MTP Device Failed - Nokia N97

Whenever I connect my N97 to the pc, it searches for drivers and then it says MTP Device driver install failed. I am using Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit. However, PC Suite works perfectly. What exactly does this error mean? It is really frustrating as whenever I connect the phone to the pc, it searches for drivers and then it says MTP Device Failed, Consult with your device manufacturer for assitance.
Sage

Re: MTP Device Failed - Nokia N97

I had the same problem trying to connect to my laptop which is running Vista. It works ok on my XP machine though, which is annoying. I searched everywhere to download the MTP drivers too, but I could only find them on the official Microsoft site, and since I had a 'ahemm....' version of Windows I couldn't download them.
Professor

[ Edited ]
I had a similar problem but it went away after I installed the software from the Ovi disc that came with the phone. MTP is Media Transfer Protocol.
Message Edited by mouserider on 08-Jul-2009 08:29 AM
Contributor

Hi,

I bought N97 yesterday from Antwerp Nokia Shop. I just installed Nokia OVI Suite a and after reboot my PC, i ried to open OVI Suite but it gave me following error;
"There is an incompatible version of Nokia PC Suite installed on your PC. Please, uninstall it, or upgrade to recent version of Nokia PC suite.
Then re-install Nokia Ovi Suite(PC Connectivity SOLUTİON 8.15)"
Then I uninstalled all Nokia PC SUite and OVI and only installed OVI and reboot the PC again I got same error even I don't have PC  Suite anymore.
Then I installed latest version of PC Suite and reboot the PC and again I got the same error.

Then I try to install OVI to the another PC which installed fine but now it gives me MTP Device warning and at the end gives me following warning;
"nokia n97 has been connected in a data cable connection mode which is not compatible with Ovi Suite.
Do you want Ovi Suite to change the conection mode of Nokia N97 now?" Even I said changed it gave me same MTP Device problem.

I'm using Win XP Prof 2002 SP3.

Can you help me how can I fix this problem?

Thanks,
Contributor

Same to me... :smileysad:

Installed from the CD that came with the N97 and get this error.

XP Pro SP3

Counsellor

Nokia N97+MTP= Epic Fail

Bored to be Beta tester for free. Using Vista here.

how I fix this problem:
1. Delete all old PC Suite, OVI, Software Updater, Driver & etc. (can use PC Suite remover)
2. Download & install OVI 1.3.374 WITHOUT Software Updater
3. Manualy download & install Software Updater 1.7.3en from site
4. Press connect phone in Ovi & connect phone with USB cabel.
5. When Windows ask for MTP driver press CANCEL
6. When OVI recognise your phone - manually launch Software Updater & follow its.
Contributor
tno1

can anyone please tell me where to download nokia software updater 1.7.3en??

because from nokia software and support i get the older version and when i run the older version it asks for update and update always fails at the end reporting an error that somensu_ui_client.exe needs access to firewall or something.. my firewall is off still the problem presist!!

Help me!! 

please!!!

I could not find version nuber of NSU on site & and shared my on rapid

http://rapidshare.com/files/262296597/NokiaSoftwareUpdaterSetup_en.exe.html
Registered Member

i am suffering similar problem. my n97 will not connect properly. when i connect in pc suite it wants to be nokiaN97. when i have to connect in media transfer as requested by nokia music it either wants to be just mtp device or n97. neither one is recognised by nokia music. this has only started since i downloaded the phone update a couple of weeks ago.
Registered Member

why no one answering this problem ?

I have the same problem with windows xp and cant solve it for hours 

hi everyone this is my first post but  i think you'll like it :smileywink: i have found a completely non complicated way of fixing this!

first a bit of background, has anyone noticed when you connect the n97 by usb the selected memory(apart from c: drive) will shut down and temporarily lose data until restart etc? this is whats causing the problem!

the reason im telling you this is there is one step im not sure of (step3) as i am not undoing it to experiment!!(make up your own mind whats best from this info)

i tried this on my new win 7 laptop but previously had messed with registry and nt services to fix on my old xp laptop-no need for this now just:-

1/ install the latest versions of ovi music and ovi suite, installing ovi music first.

2/restart your pc.

3/make sure your phone is in its music player so it cant be shut/if you have tried this and it shows no music, refresh and restart the usb connection.

if this hasnt worked the only thing i did keep repeating was installing the mtp driver until it kept asking for a restart not when it failed completely.

do this once to load the driver into windows but no more.

i also went to device manager and updated my usb host controllers-and guess what... not up to date on a new win 7 laptop....hmm, doing this should help you to load the driver.

forgot to mention make sure in usb settings

settings/connectivity/usb/ usb connection mode is set to MEDIA TRANSFER and ask on connection is set to NO

Registered Member
buddy299

changing to media transfer does not work as ovi asks for phone to be set to PC Suite

Advisor

brotehr now i try all as all my friend say above ..but nothing fail ..plz any one have prefect solution for mtp device driver for n97 .....we aer waiting for this..................

Registered Member
Mowie101

DEFINITE SOLUTION TESTED 4 TIMES DIFFERENT PC'S ON DIFFERENT PHONES FOR WINDOWS VISTA AND XP!!!

1.  First insure u either have Windows Media Player 10 or 11 installed

2.  Download Microsoft Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit from: Here if you have                a legitimate copy of windows, if not download this uploaded version I stuck up for you

poor suckers Here.

3.  Once downloaded and opened the files should extract to by default C:\WMSDK. If so      navigate your self to C:\WMSDK\MTPPK12\Tools\DirectMTP and extract the zip file

relevant to which version of Windows Media Player you have installed and your         

operating system.

4. Once extracted navigate through the unzipped directory 2 folders in (they repeat the       original name of the extracted folder. Once among list of files you shall find a file

named mtpinfup.exe double click it and a command prompt window should appear

briefly then disappear.

5. Right click my computer, click manage, then select device manager and select the

MTP device that is still unknown. Right click it, select update driver and allow it to

automatically scan for the drivers. 

6. ENJOY NEVER SEEING THAT GAY MESSAGE AGAIN!!!!! :smileywink:

Advisor
JhayCee

You have to uninstall the MTP driver of the N97 from your pc. To do this, go to your pc's control panel. Go to hardware and check for your drivers. If you see MTP idevice or Nokia N97 on the list, kindly uninstall that. Restart your phone and pc and try to connect the device. The pc will try to install the new MTP device in it. This should solve the issue.  ^_^

Hope this helps!

Click the star if you're satisfied with my answer.
Registered Member
sydneyrovers

I have the same MTP Device issue and it's only appeared in the last few days. I can't sync to OVI at all and my PC won't recongnise no matter what USB Connetion mode I use as it defaults to PC Suite mode even though I tell it not to. I have tried the methods in this thread without any success.

Phone Software Version 21.0.045

Nokia Ovi Suite 2.1.1.1

Ovi Player 2.1.10304.0

Nokia Photos 1.6.434.0

PC Connectivity Solution 10.6.2.0

Connectivity Cable Driver 7.1.27.0

Nokia Ovi Suite Software Updater 2010.18.0.60492

Maps Service API 3.0.38.0

Nokia mPlatform 2.6.86

Ovi Desktop Sync Engine 1.1.0.82

Operating system:
Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit Edition, Service Pack 2
Language: English

Detected internet browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18928
- Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3 (Default browser)

Detected Bluetooth stacks:
- Microsoft (Version: 6.0.6000, Build: 16386)

Any help would be appreciated.

Advisor

[ Edited ]

I've had this problem too of Media and PC Suite mode connections ending in the MTP Device Failed message, except in my case on the Nokia 5800 and Windows XP.  It happened on the last update that changed Nokia Music to Ovi  Music. The only mode that works now is Mass Transfer.

Right now I can't transfer music so Nokia needs to urgently look at this update and provide a fix. Do Nokia read these forums?

Neldot

Same problem here too, "MTP Device failed", with a N97 mini, after downloading the last version of Ovi Suite. :smileysad:

What a pity, N97 mini is a lovely smartphone, but all Nokia software seems to be so bad, bad, bad...