Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

MTP USB Device Failed

Registered Member
eddiewouldgo

MTP USB Device Failed

I'm running Win7 64bit, I can't connect my Lumia 920 to my PC, it gets this error every time I plugged it in.

I have unplugged all my other USB drives, and plugging into differnt USB ports, restarted computer few times, but still can't have it connect properly.

USB Composite Device Ready to use

MTP USB Device Failed

WInUsb Device Ready to Use

WinUsb Device Ready to Use

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bettialessandro

Re: MTP USB Device Failed

Same issue here ...

I was try to register my mobile for developing , after some plug and play the windows 8 don't register my mobile anymore .I can see only Device Unknown ... Some USB problem on the registration .Any idea ?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kennethchua93

Same! How to fix this problem? Right now I can't even connect the phone to the computer to transfer music...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

You may have to reinstall the drivers, 

• Make sure you have an active data connection
  • Plug in the phone
  • Hit WINDOWS+PAUSE/BREAK
  • Select device manager (top left)
  • Find the device, it will probably have a yellow triangle with exclamation or question mark
  • Right click the device and select uninstall, opt to remove files if asked
  • Unplug the phone and re-attach
  • make _sure_ driver install completes and do not remove again unless you are certain it has
  • Should be fine now

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Raikurs

I have same problem and tip that paulheu posted ain't working. Still same problem with MTP USB Device Failed

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RowanMtn

Found a suggestion elsewhere to reboot the Lumia -- it worked and connected right away after a driver download.  Another suggestion was to connect via higher-powered USB ports on the rear of the PC rather than the front ones, but the front works okay for me.

Please use plain text.
NullReference

I'm having the same problem on Win 8 64 bit.

In Device Manager the 920 is shown with a yellow triangle. I have tried right-click Update Drivers but I get the error that:

Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

MTP USB Device

The system cannot find the file specified

I have also tried uninstalling the drivers and rebooting both the PC and phone many times. I then also tried different cables and USB ports.

Any ideas anyone?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
garym114

Also try connecting the phone while it is turned off, then turn it on. You will get a message about not finding drivers when the phone is off.

Do you have Kaspersky installed?

If so: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/f424e04a-818b-415c-b3ec-1fbc6507...

Please use plain text.
NullReference

garym114 wrote:

Also try connecting the phone while it is turned off, then turn it on. You will get a message about not finding drivers when the phone is off.

Do you have Kaspersky installed?

If so: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/f424e04a-818b-415c-b3ec-1fbc6507...

Thanks for the response. I have tried turning the phone on while it is plugged in too.

I don't have Kapersky but I am wondering if its to do with these Upper and Lower filter settings in the registry as I have seen similar suggestions elsewhere. I'll take a look when I get home.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
iampoundpound

I have found this from Microsoft web

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/cannot-connect-nokia-lumia-get-a...

The last one worked for me.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
patriciambailey

[ Edited ]

this worked for me... thank you

REBOOT your phone... it worked...

Please use plain text.
Superdziobak

Reboot worked for my Lumia 925 as well :-)  Thanks!

Please use plain text.