Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N97 Not In PC Suite USB Mode

Darein

N97 Not In PC Suite USB Mode

Hi Guys, 

I realise i may have posted this in the wrong place the last time...

I wonder if anyone can help me. Im nearing my wits end with this, either the laptop is going through the window, or the phone is!

Trying to get my N97 to connect up to my Win 7 laptop, which is proving to be most problematic. Every time i try and connect through OVI, when attempting to reach connection it either states "N97 not in USB pc suitemode" (here i have told the phone to automatically connect in PC Suite) there is no problem seeing the phone on the machine thats fine, the main problem is OVI.

Things i have tried:

Uninstalling all Nokia applications from computer, and using the cleaner to remove any files

Repairing OVI

Deleting phone from devices and starting again

Using PC Suite (which also wont install - info in a mo)

trying different modes on handset to achieve connection

Swapping USB plugs

All to no avail

PC Suite 7.1.4 - i cant even get this to install, i reach install step 5/6, it doesnt even try and i recieve the error " Installation operation failed - the system cannot find the file specified"

things i have tried 

removing all anti virus and firewall activation

compatability troubleshooting

running in admin mode (which i am anyway) 

I desperatly need this to work to update the handsets firmware. to do this i need to back it up, to do that i need to use OVI or PC Suite!

Cheers Guys

Please use plain text.
vegiisan

Re: N97 Not In PC Suite USB Mode

I'm having the exact same problem with the N97, the funny thing too is, Ovi Music Player detects the phone and I can sync music with it with no problem. But PC Suite, Ovi Suite and Nokia Software Update all say the phone is not in PC Suite mode or not in a non-compatible state - which isn't true because I have it set to auto connect to pc suite mode too.

Also, my sister's computer syncs with the phone and detects it fine, but mine doesn't - both are running Windows 7 64-bit. Windows appears to be retaining some sort of old driver that either doesn't display or doesn't use the Nokia name to identify it, that is causing the incompatibility error.

I know Windows is retaining drivers that can't be unstalled properly because when I reinstall it on my PC it only installs 4 items: Ovi Suite, Ovi Music, Connectivity Driver and Something Manage Tools. BUT on my sisters PC on a fresh install, it installed up to about 10 different programs, some with driver related names. Windows also installed up to 10 different drivers again on top of that after Ovi was installed, but it only installs two on my PC: MTP Driver/Nokia N97 Generic.

I tried the same steps:

a) Uninstall/Reinstall all Nokia software/drivers about 10 times now.

b) Deleted all driver references to Nokia in Device Manager

c) Used both PC Suite/Ovi Suite to detect it both fail, but Ovi Music works for some reason.

d) Windows can detect it and transfer files to it.

e) Tried all the different USB ports, same story on each one.

So strange, need a solution on everything that needs to be deleted that is hard to locate. =S

Please use plain text.
vegiisan

No ideas on why Windows/Ovi Music can sync with the N97 - but Ovi Suite/PC Suite say it's not in the proper USB Mode? =\

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gp64

I had this problem (phone in PC suite mode but Ovi suite says it's not, Ovi music works fine) today and went to un-install when I noticed the option to repair the Ovi suite instead of un-install.  Didn't think it would do anything but gave it a go and it worked - now connects fine.  I might have had different issues to you all since my install locked up originally and I had to install a second time, but give it a go.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
schmic

I have same issue - cannot connect to PC Suite in USB mode.

Can't therefore back-up device & cannot update firmware on phone.

Have there been any response from Nokia on this issue - needs resolution yesterday!

Please use plain text.
pnh60

What I have generally found with the Nokia N97 is that is is full of good ideas, but the execution and build quality is very poor.  There are constant mysyterious problems like this one that appear out of thin air.  They do not know how to make reliably functioning software--the worst version of windows is a dream by comparison in my view.

In my case with this problem, sometimes in connects as USB storage, sometimes I get the PC Suite mode but it never coneects to PC Suite or OVI.  Anyway, I don't have a solution.

Please use plain text.
pnh60

I found a solution on All About Symbian, but it is not a happy solution even though it fixes the problem:  hard  reset, but beware this reset all sorts of stuff and wipes out your on phone contacts and calendar--probably other things.

To quote the poster on all about symbian:

Only solution I know of is a hard reset..*#7370#. Has nothing to do with PC drivers, the PC suite program.

It worked for me but I have some work to do to get my phone back to the way I like it.

Please use plain text.
vegiisan

Hmm I'd have to argue that theory, because, it will connect on my sister's PC downstairs but not on my PC upstairs... so.. =S

I used the PC Suite Cleaner and uninstalled everything, then reinstalled and it worked for a while. How ever now the MTP USB Driver for Windows has stopped working again so once again th phone won't sync.

-_-"

Please use plain text.
Se3D03

I believe I have the same problem.

My  nokia 5530, is also not recognized in pc suite mode by ovi suite.

and becausee of that, i can't update the firmware.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
happytoon

RESOLVED ?

I've also installed OVI Suite 2.2.0.241 and had the same problem. Although I put my N97 in USB PC Suite mode, Ovi complained that the phone was not in PC Suite mode...

To resolve this, I've done as follows:

1) un-installed the Ovi suite and any "connectivity" related Nokia software + reboot.

2) download the nokia cable driver suite from

http://www.nokia.co.uk/support/download-software/cable-drivers/driver-for-nokia-dke-2-dku-2-ca-42-ca...

3) install the cable driver previously downloaded.

4) install Ovi Suite 2.2.0.241 + reboot

Since then (5 days ago), my N97 connect successfully all the time and sync with Ovi suite immediately with no complains :smileyhappy:

(the MTP driver is still failing, but I don't Sync automatically my N97 with Media Player. I prefer to move the music files manually).

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
avim1980

Re: N97 Not In PC Suite USB Mode - Try this

Hi,

I've just had the same problem with win 7 ultimate, Most chances are that if you connect your mobile to the PC and look in the device manager, that you will see about ~6 unrecognized drivers

what worked out for me is to manually update these drivers via device manager and point the driver path to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Connectivity Cable Driver

this is the path of the built in driver that comes with the installation of OVI or PC Suite

let me know how it worked out for you

goodluck

Please use plain text.

Just had this problem on  windows 7 64 bit machine.

The N97 driver was pointing to some driver for a Marvel device!

In device manager found N97 and set driver manually to look in nokia cable folder above for driver and then rest of devices appeared and sorted themselves out.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rainfreak5

avim1980

THANX ALOT IT WORKED FOR ME on 6700 :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.