Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

NOKIA E71 USB Connection

NOKIA E71 USB Connection

Hello,

I installed the lastest version of PC Suite for my NOKIA E71 but my comptuer (Windows XP Service Pack 2) is not able to detect my phone through USB cable (CA-101).

Event Viewer has generated the following error: 

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ServiceLayer ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started."  Timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "ModemDeviceChange"

I open "Device Manager" and devices named 

"NOKIA E71 USB Modem" cannot start (Code 10)

"NOKIA E71 USB LCIF" cannot start (Code 10) 

"NOKIA E71 USB OBEX" cannot start (Code 10) 

"NOKIA E71 USB (COM16)" cannot start (Code 10) 

Below the driver details from device manager: 

Driver version 7.1.18.31

Date :11.11.2008

Please do you have a fix for the driver cable CA-101?

Bests Regards

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: NOKIA E71 USB Connection

I have got exactly the same problem and reinstalled many times PC suite and the cable driver. I had no issue with my previous E61. We need an answer from NOKIA!!!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have the same problem, the first time I connect it wroks fine.  To reconnect the phone I have to restart my computer.  This is very frustrating.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi, I have same problem. Running XP SP3.

Latest FW on E71, and latest PC Suite.

Can connect using Bluetooth, run Mass-storage. But when chosing Connect PC to internet when plugging in USB cable does not work.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
cricfancy

Hi,

Have you guys made any changes to your phone / pc ?  Have you updated your pc suites without uninstalling your earlier pc suite ??

Do have backup of your phone data & PC registries then
Uninstall Nokia PC Suite, Nokia Connectivity cable driver, PC Connectivity solution, Nokia flashing cable driver(if any on your PC), Run PC Suite cleaner. Install latest Nokia PC Suite from nokia.com/pcsuite, reboot your pc.  Once pc started, connect your phone with USB in different ports of your PC and check :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I downloaded an old version of the cable drivers, and uninstalled the new ones, rebooted and then installed the old version. Now it works.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have almost the same problem with my new Nokia E51. I use the original cable and prior to any installation I've downloaded the latest Nokia PC Suite for this phone - 7.1.30.9 I am using Win XP Pro SP3.

The difference is that phone connection sometimes succeeds. When I move it to a different USB port it works, after disconnection it fails, later works again... 

All other USB devices on my computer work fine. I have ActiveSync 4.5.0 installed also.

Please give me a clue!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

update:

I've uninstalled PC Suite, cleaned up and installed 3 times. The connection is unreliable - sometimes starts, sometimes I have to swap USB ports, sometimes I have to restart the phone...

My phone is updated to the last version of firmware.

Please use plain text.

I have done all of the above and still doesn't work.  Where can I find an older version of the USB drivers?
Please use plain text.

I've switched USB ports, rebooted and restarted....connects perfectly with bluetooth but USB will not connect in PC suite mode.
Please use plain text.

Where did you find an older version of the cable drivers?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Try this:

http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-and-software/download-software/cable-drivers/driver-for-nokia-dk...

With these I can connect from the second try. First time when connect the telephone is not recognized, unplug and replug -now works. And everytime you should do so (unplug + replug).

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have the same problem and the connection goes on and off at times. I have to restart the pc sometimes and sometimes.. uninstall and re-install pc suite again.. this is frustrating.. is ther a fix to this problem.. 

All this started happening after i upgraded my firmware..  

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have a similar (same?) problem. I was able to use the music manager in PC Suite 6. I now have PC Suite 7 with OVI Music 2.0.0.1006.00 and it doesn't connect to the phone via USB.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
zohan88

I have problem when i connect my phone with usb and click on pc cuite it just disconect me..

but when i click on mass storage then connect me ....

when im in mass storage mode if i tried ti work with pc suite disconect me again..

im going crazy, why is this happening??

any help??

Please use plain text.
scanlan

I just connected my E71 last night and I know that for me at least, the connection problem is the MICRO USB CABLE!  I am not sure yet if it is actually the cable (brand new first time use) or the usb port on teh phone.

I hate to suspect my brand new phone, but I have used many usb cables on many devices and never had a problem with any of them.

I bought a low priced micro usb cable from Micro Center for $10 so I am hoping that is teh problem. 

The only way I could keep a connection was to put pressure on the end that connects to the phone at a sideways angle.  My wife just bought the exact phone and it does the SAME thing.

I really suspect it is in the micro usb connection in the phone.  i am going to buy a good quality cable today and see if that  changes anything.

But I do know this;  it is either the cheap cable I bought or all of these phones have defective usb connections in the phone itself.  There is no way that so many connection problems should exist.  I never had a single problem with my BlackBerry in 3 years no matter what cable or operating system I used. 

Will Nokia step up to the plate and fix this????  If not, I'm taking the phone back to Wally World!

Also be aware of Chinese copies that are NOT Nokia Phones, just exact copies!

jay

Please use plain text.