Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 5800 usb modem driver (windows xp)

Nokia 5800 usb modem driver (windows xp)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I got myself a 5800 and installed the latest version of PC Suite (7.1.26.1) and it finds the phone and what not. What doesn't work thou' is the usb modem. In the device manager windows states that Nokia 5800 XpressMusic USB Modem and CDC Comms Interface isn't installed properly. When I manually try to install them it fails complaining about an error in the INI-file.

I did see a INI-file in the Software and driver section for my phone but that did nothing. I also tried uninstalling the Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver integrated in PC Suite and installed the stand alone version, with the same result as above.

So how do I get windows to install the modem driver for my phone?

Regards

OpEx

PS. If the only advice you have is uninstall PC Suite, use the cleaner, and reinstall. Don't waste your time. I need constructive solutions. DS.

edit:

Message Edited by opex on 15-Jun-2009 12:11 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevamiga

Re: Nokia 5800 usb modem driver (windows)

Might want to start with some details... What OS?
Nokia 5800 Xpress Music :smileyhappy: - Please leave Kudos if I helped you! Thanks!!
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevamiga

Ok.. sorry I see now in the title its changed to Windows XP...
Nokia 5800 Xpress Music :smileyhappy: - Please leave Kudos if I helped you! Thanks!!
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevamiga

Have you tried the seperate cable driver?

Found this using google :

http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-and-software/download-software/cable-drivers/driver-for-nokia-dk... 

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

opex wrote:
I also tried uninstalling the Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver integrated in PC Suite and installed the stand alone version, with the same result as above.
Message Edited by opex on 15-Jun-2009 12:24 PM
Please use plain text.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet? I have the same problem - both running XP sp3 and Vista Home Premium.

It worked fine with previous version (6.?) of Nokia PC Suite, failing after installation of   7.1.30.9.

I have now re-installed the  Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Bluetooth Modem and this works (but much slower, as expected).

Strangely this shows up as duplicate in the control panel list :  "Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Bluetooth Modem #2" but there is only this one in the PC Suite  One Touch Access dialog.

Please use plain text.

I contacted Nokia Support and promptly received helpful email (extract below) suggesting uninstall and re-install.  Wasn't too optimistic as installing that started the problem, but it did fix it :-)  .  I skipped rebooting the phone but used the rest of these:

To address your concern, let us first reboot your phone. This is a temporary measure as it acts to refresh its memory. The steps are:

• Turn the phone off.
       • Remove the battery, SIM card and memory card for at least 15 minutes.
       • Reassemble and turn the phone on.

Then, let us remove all Nokia components from the PC and reinstall Nokia PC Suite. Here is a guide for you:

Please uninstall all existing Nokia components (in the following order) and restart the PC prior to installing the latest Nokia PC Suite:

• Nokia Connectivity Solutions (if applicable)
       • Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver
       • Nokia PC Suite
       • Other Nokia Components

• On the PC, click:
         Start > Settings > Control Panels > Add/Remove Program (if Windows XP and older is used).
         Start > Settings > Control Panels > Programs And Features (if Windows Vista is used).
       • Scroll down the list of programs, select a Nokia component and press ‘Remove’.
       • Repeat the steps above for all remaining Nokia components.
       • Restart the PC.
       • Open 'C:/My Computer/Program Files' and delete the 'Nokia' folder (if available).
       • Open 'C:/My Computer/Program Files/Common Files' and delete the 'Nokia' folder (if available).
       • Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup > C: Drive

To clean the PC:
(Only applicable if Nokia PC Suite version 6.83 and above was previously installed)

• Visit http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-and-software/download-software/nokia-pc-suites/how-to/nokia-pc-s... to download Nokia PC Suite Cleaner.
       • Run the application and follow the on-screen instructions.

To install Nokia PC Suite:

• Logon to http://www.nokia.com/pcsuite and click on ‘Compatibility & Download’.
       • Click on ‘Download’ and select ‘Save’ (not ‘Run’) to your desktop.
       • Once download is completed, double click on the icon to begin installation.
       • Upon completion of installation, launch Nokia PC Suite.
       • Initiate ‘Connection Wizard’ by clicking on the phone icon and follow the on-screen instructions to establish the first connection.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I had this issue and have just fixed it without any reinstalls etc.

If you go to device manager and find the cdc and usb modem failed device installs, right click on them and update the drivers, choose install from a specific location, tick include this location in the search and in the box paste

C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 7\Inf

go through the process and voila it works, repeat for both the failed device installs.

Hope that works for you, let me know?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

None of the solution above works for me. I even did a fres install of OS from Vista to XP and the same problem. All started after the firmware update. Must I say that on my girlfriend PC it works perfect?

NOKIA BE A PAL AND INVESTIGATE THIS

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

dfgdfgdbgk fkgdlglf flfgfgkfgjfglfl f
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pluto8458

I shared the same sentiments with you.

What I did is to have both OS(xp and vista) installed on my laptop. If I want to connect to the internet using my N5800 as modem, I choose Vista. If I work with with some softwares which were not compatible or been rejected by Vista , I choose XP. You can install xp and vista in different drives.eg: C: XP ana D: Vista.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Well, glad you fixed it, but it's not exactly a fix, it's more of a workaround.

Anyway, I tracked the problem on my system, can't fix it yet but I think is connected with some windows components I didn't install or removed for performance reasons.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
therion23

I have one possible solution for you, after fighting with this for a looooong time. Tell me, do you have c:\Windows\Inf\mdmcpq.inf or not?

Please use plain text.
jjgambar

Is true,  work, I check  c:\Windows\Inf\mdmcpq.inf and did not have the famous file ... so I
locate this one in http://www.infdump.com/download-inf-files_new.php/inffiles/M/MDMCPQ.INF/5.1.2535.0/download.html and copy it and then just update the driver and install correctly. tnks therion23

Please use plain text.
Contributor
therion23

Basically, your problem is that you either installed from an nLite'd media or ran a program like xp-Lite after installation. In either case, someone has deleted all modem drivers from your installation.

I grabbed the file from a Windows 7 installation and it worked fine. Glad it worked for you too.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
manuelangel

Can you tell my (as exact as possible) the list of actvities required after download de famous file you noticed?...  I'm not a big expert, so I need clear (an easy) explantations.

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
therion23

By all means. Copy the file mdmcpq.inf to your c:\windows\inf folder. Then go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, right click your CDC Comms Interface (with the question mark on the icon) and choose Update Driver. Windows should be able to find and install it by itself now. After that, do the same with the Nokia USB Modem inside Device Manager.

If you run into further trouble, drop me a note.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
manuelangel

Thanks a lot by your quick response.

Followed your instructions and the situation persist and connection is not possible.

I have not any error on the hardware device manager.

two additional information:

1)  Inside the  windows/inf  I see this files:

mdmcpq

MDMCPQ.INF  (THIS IS THE COPIED as required)

mdmcpq.PNF

mdmcpq2

mdmcpq2.PNF

Will be this ok?

2) The modem controller is on the last version as windows replies to requested update. I tried  to test the driver, and this is the log

ATQ0V1E0 - OK
AT+GMM - Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
AT+FCLASS=? - 0
AT#CLS=? - COMANDO NO PERMITIDO
AT+GCI? - COMANDO NO PERMITIDO
AT+GCI=? - COMANDO NO PERMITIDO
ATI1 - 354183020140360
ATI2 - V ICPR72_10w04.5
       22-03-10
       RM-356
       (c) Nokia
       V 50.0.005
ATI3 - Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
ATI4 - ICPR72_10w04
ATI5 - OK
ATI6 - OK
ATI7 - OK

ATQ0V1E0 - OK

AT+GMM - Nokia 5800 XpressMusicAT+FCLASS=? - 0

AT#CLS=? - COMANDO NO PERMITIDO

AT+GCI? - COMANDO NO PERMITIDO

AT+GCI=? - COMANDO NO PERMITIDO

ATI1 - 354183020140360

ATI2 - V ICPR72_10w04.5

22-03-10

RM-356

(c) Nokia

V 50.0.005

ATI3 - Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

ATI4 - ICPR72_10w04

ATI5 - OK

ATI6 - OK

ATI7 - OK

Please use plain text.
Contributor
therion23

If there are no question marks in your Device Manager (as in all devices properly installed), then try and make a connection via Nokia PC Suite. Also, make sure you use the latest PC Suite (and NOT Ovi Suite), and in case you need to update PC Suite, do so, and go to Device Manager and run Update Driver for the CDC Comms Interface and Nokia 5800 USB Modem.

If that won't work, i'm out of ideas, cos my own problem ended there and i have no idea how i can replicate your situation. You do of course have a data subscription on your phone, right?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
therion23

Two quick notes: My driver version is 7.1.32.57 and the CDC Comms Interface will change name to Nokia 5800 XpressMusic USB (COMX) after installing the proper driver. Either plug the phone or tell Device Manager to show hidden devices in order to find it, it's under Ports (COM & LPT).

Please use plain text.