Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia 6300 & PC Suite

Counsellor

Nokia 6300 & PC Suite

Hi all,
I seem to have a problem with a newly purchased Nokia6300:
I'm trying to synchronize my MS Outlook calendar via bluetooth, but I don't get any reaction when pushing the 'Synchronize now'.
I run Windows XP Professional, Service Pack2 on a Dell D531, with MS Office 2003 Professional.
I downloaded the latest version of PC Suite (6.85.14.1) and had my phone's software upgraded in a service center.

Strangly enough I can connect to my phone, create backups and text-messages are downloaded automatically, but as said I cannot synchronize, moreover, trying to browse the phone's content (via file manager, multimedia, images,...) just results in my PC's browser opening a (random?) folder my PC's hard-drive, not my phone's.

This last problem (browsing the phone) is no issue if I use PC Suite 6.83.14.1, but still I cannot synchronize the phone.

Any help are hints are greatly appreciated!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: Nokia 6300 & PC Suite

to be clear, I do not get any error-message, there simly is no reaction at all. I also never received the synchronisation-set-up screen when first going into the synchronisation-menu. I've tried de-installing, re-installing and repainrein numerous times without success :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

any ideas on what to do?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
manta

your bluetooth sw ?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I tried by installing the latest Toshiba BT stack: v5.10.12, but had no success.

However, I would like to point out that using the cable results in the exact same behaviour, so I'm not sure that it is related to the bluetooth?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
manta

make sure you have
-nokia connectivity cabe driver
-pc connectivity solution
-nokia pc suite
all instaoled and that you have made sure (repair etc.) that those areinstalled OK.

Check that your cable is right version for your phone( it is not enought that you can phycically matc it, it needs to be the right type, check from nokia webpages -your phone pages.

now describe in every detail how you connect the cable and what happens in each step in phone screen 8question,s what you choose etc.) and then in pc side via device manager, how your phone is visible through USB cable ( NO yellow questionmarksallowedetc.)

then describe the error situation in every detail.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

nokia connectivity cabe driver - OK
pc connectivity solution - OK
nokia pc suite - OK
installed and repair etc. - OK

cable is right version - not sure, I tried using one from a GPS and am now using the one from a new blackberry, I do not have a Nokia-cable (what numbers should be on the cable, I have a bunch)

I connect the phone, get the question to select the cable mode, unlock the phone, confirm the select get to choose between nokia, printing and data storage. I confirm nokia. It returns to the main-screen with a little usb-icon in the upper left corner.

on pc-side I do not get any errors from the device manager.

then I open pc suite, select synchronisation and am pretty much stuck there (i.e. except from 'select phone', none of the buttons respond to clicking)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
manta

dke-2 is the code for nokia cable but it is standard usb cable so should work....

have you right clicked the sync jingjang icon in windows tray area and then reopen the sync from pc suite main view, dos that help ?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

have tried, same result.

-'Select phone' is clickable and works
-'Settings' is clickable, but does not have any effect
-'View last report' is not clickable (if I start it via program files, I get the message that there is nothing to see, since I have no previous sync-sessions)
-'Synchropnize now!' is clickable, but does not have any effect
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

btw, thanks for the efforts so far!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

as far as the cables goes:
AWM E89980-A SUNF PU STYLE 2725 80°C 30V VW-1 28AWG/1P 28AWG/2C
CSA LL64151-A AWM II A/B 80°C150V FT1 USB 2.0 CABLE TID 60000103
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
manta

you could try to reset yourphone by restring factory settings, you can find that laternative from phone tools and settings somewhere.

YOu may loose data from your phone so make sure you have the backup (as you are saying you could successfullly take. I did not understand what you meant by downloading text messages? It is the same piece of software that shows you the content of you rphone: contacts folder, SMS folder, imaes and all other forders so it does not make sence that you can see text messages but not for example images ?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

not too worried aboput losing data since I don't have it that long.
I only wonder if I do a restiore will it go vback to the previous software version (I had it upgraded in a Nokia repair centre)
what I meant by downloading messages is that I can see the SMS-messages in the pc suite screen (lower-left) meaning that some sort of synchronistaion is happening after all.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

brwosing my phone (contacts, pictures, directories) is indeed no longer possible with this version (although it was possible with the previous version of pc suite (which I got on a cd when purchasing the mobile)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

still no change after a restore factory settings :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
manta

I would go back to the service center and claim that they have not made the upgrade of the software right. They have PCs there and they should show you that the phone connects OK with a PC, if that is the case, then you know there is something wrong in your PC (Windows or PC Suite or what ever).

Right now there are too many things that have changed so that it is impossible for me to try to figure out from distance what can be wrong.

Other alternative is that if you have a friend who has a pc, install pc suite there and try if you phone works there
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

they weren't too helpful in the service center, so I think I'll stcik to the second scenario, I just need to find someone with the same windows and office version. BTW, and tis is an important one, is there an easy way to completely delete the calendar? I ask because multiple colleagues are willing to try with their pc, however I do not want to end up with their calendar on my mobile, having to delete every entry one by one.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
manta

Bartingent, can you confirm what is working right now in your PC ?

Do you get a connection to PC suite with cable ? How is that connection visible :confused:explain how the connection is shown in PC Suite main view)

Can you oopen Music manager and will it show your phone ?

Can you open Backup/restore and will it show you phone ? Can you make a backup with that ?

If you can verify that most of the things listed above work, please try this:

Go to

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Nokia\PCSync\SynchData\\

and under that folder delete log and SMIL files.

Boot PC and now try to connect again and open PC Suite - PC Sync and see what happens
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
manta

Bartingent, can you confirm what is working right now in your PC ?

Do you get a connection to PC suite with cable ? How is that connection visible :confused:explain how the connection is shown in PC Suite main view)

Can you oopen Music manager and will it show your phone ?

Can you open Backup/restore and will it show you phone ? Can you make a backup with that ?

If you can verify that most of the things listed above work, please try this:

Go to

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Nokia\PCSync\SynchData\IMEI nr of your phone\

and under that folder delete log and SMIL files.

Boot PC and now try to connect again and open PC Suite - PC Sync and see what happens
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

as soon as I connect via cable and select nokia mode:
-I get a small mobile as an icon in my systray, allowing me to acces all pc suite functionlities by rightclicking this icon
-see the phone's name preceded by the usb-sign on top of the mobile in the pc suite main menu

-if I click File Manager it opens my user's documents and settings-folder in stead of the phone's directory -- as said in my original post this problem dissapears by downgrading the pc suite version.
-if I open music manager it shows my phone as connected and I can copy music to it
-I can make a backup of the entire content of my phone, with exception of 3 write-protected theme's

in the path \Nokia\PCSync\SynchData I have two 15-digit directories (both dating from when I got this phone), but both are empty. Should I delete anything else?
Please use plain text.