Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia PC Suite doesn't sync

Contributor

Nokia PC Cuite doesn't sync

Like previous versions of PC Suite, version 6_85_14_1 only syncs once with my phone (E61), namely when the software has been just installed. Any subsequent sync attemps fail, the driver does not recognise the phone connected via cable. Can anyone help?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
donald1

Re: Nokia PC Cuite doesn't sync

I had similar problem with my previous phone. The things that helped were either to reboot teh phone or to make a new connection via the connection wizard of the PC suite.
In case the phone is recognized and does not update during a sync you have to renew the sync profile in the PC-suite.

Today I did not have the problem with my N82 phone (which is from the same generation as your E51).

Hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Many thanks Donald1.

Unfortunately, rebooting doesn't work other. The issue ist that my PCSuite does not recognise any phone. I therefore cannot make a new connection via the connection wizzard.
I believe my issue is pretty much independent from the type of the phone.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
donald1

Hi

I have a feeling a driver setting or something basic is wrong. This reminds me on a problem I once had with one of my previous phones. The only solution was using a different version of the drivers / PC suite.

Some other options you can try are following :

1. download and install the bluetooth and cable drivers seperate. Install them and try again aftger rebooting your PC.

2. in case 1 does not work, remove the complete PC suite from your PC do a reboot and install PC suite again (maybe you already tried)

3. This is a wild guess, I never tried it but it could work.
In case 1 and 2 do not work : remove all Nokia software from your PC. Install the Nserie PC suite (version 2.0) from http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/graduates. Install the PC suite and try again. I don't know if the E series match with this PC suite but as far I can judge is the basic functionality the same only some additional features and the UI is different. So this could work for you.

I'm very curious. Good luck. ;-)
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi Donald1

Thanks for your effort and suggestions.

I have tried all the things you have recommended:
- uninstalleded and re-installed PC Suite - which I had already done many times before. No success.
- installed NSeries PC Suite. No success.

I also installed PC Suite on 2 other Sony Vaios (Vista Home Premium, Vista Business). Again, same symptoms, no success.

What do you think?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
donald1

This is strange, I recently read that somebody else bought a Sony Vaio laptop and did not have any problem with the synchronization.
Did you already install all Vista updates ? Also I had initial with my Vista laptop all kinds of problems which were caused by bad or missing drivers and other pieces of software.
Maybe best is to install first the SP1 which was last week released (english version, other languages will follow in the coming weeks).

A driver check can help you or check the website of the laptop manufacturer (Sony) for updates.
Please install them.
Then try again.
Famous is that certain USB drivers do not work correctly within Vista, an update was issued by Microsoft some time ago.

Anotehr possibility can be that Sony enables special 'user-friendly' Sony-only software. On my HP did I remove most of this software because it did not help only gave a different user experience.

The last possibility which comes to my mind is the fact that some computers have a trail license installed of Norton virus check, spyware and firewall. Typical this type of software can block programs who communicate (like synching) with devices from the outside. Maybe good to (temporarly) disable the firewall and the other checks and try to sync again.
This software did give me problems with connecting the laptop to a samba-based server in my network.It could be a same kind of issue. Also this type of issues are very common with Microsoft Windows-Mobile devices and ActiveSync. I know this is not PC-suite but on general levelboth have to communicate to an outside device.
It is easy to do, just give it a try.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions which I followed. After installing Vista SP1 though my hard disk crashed and I was forced to do a complete recovery.

I took this opportunity to buy a new Vaio (VGN-TZ27GN)and installed PC Suite 6.85 and miracously it works ... hope it will last.

A question remains though why it doesn't work on the VGN-SZ48GN ...

All the best!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

The joy didn't last long. After a couple of successful syncs the same problems are now happening on this brandnew Vaio. This is the 4th Vaio that has some sort of a compatibility issue with PC Suite.
I cannot imagine that I am the only one having these problems??
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
donald1

Sorry,
I don not have a VAIO (only Dell and HP)....
Nevertheless I did not read of this problem before. Maybe you can ask Sony's Helpdesk ?
Or Nokia's Helpdesk ?
Please use plain text.

Hi!
I have faced similar problems with 2 pc's. In one PC I used synchronization from Lotus Notes calender to 6021 and the other from MS Outlook calender to (same) 6021. Both worked fine until a couple of weeks ago they both stopped. I uninstalled both PC Suites and replaced them with the latest version but no luck. I feel that this might be a phone related issue since e.g. phone was not able to delete old calender markings according to settings?
Any ideas?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
donald1

I had a similar problem with my old 6230i phone (S40 phone). I had to remove all calendar appointments from the calender on the phone (reset the calendar) and create the setting profile for the synchronization all over again.
Afterwards it worked fine again. The problem existed for the last couple of years using this phone.
I asked Nokia for advise but never received a different answer then to bring the phone to a service center and have a new firmware version installed.
I did this twice for the 6230i phone before I gave up and just re-created the profile (and resettted the calendar on the phone) each month....

With my new N82 (S60 phone), the problem did not yet show. I guess this is some kind of memory management problem in the phone......

Otherwise you can try the hints given in my previous posts in this topic.
Please use plain text.

Hello Donald,

I emptied my calender and now it working. Thank you :-)
It must be the phone that is the problem. It is not able to delete all old appointments automatically and becomes there fore full (or just gets jammed).
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
donald1

yes, I also think that the phone seems to get jammed.
Regular syncing helps (keeps the number of changes relative low per sync session) to avoid this emergency action.

Have fun :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Which I did and wasted a huge amount of time. The India-based helpdesk can only assist with standard issues. As soon as the problem is non-standard or a bit more complex they are out of their depth ... and then they refer you to the laptop manufacturer (i.e., Sony) or OS manifacturer.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
donald1

Yes, I have the same experience contacting the Nokia Helpdesk in Europe. Only very general answers and redirecting to others or future firmware/software updates.
Too bad, it's a waste of time.

Still this is a very strange behaviour of the software. Did you try another phone (Nokia) ?
Please use plain text.

Hi!
The sync doesn't work anymore (see my earlier reply), I tried to do everything againg in the same way as before but no luck. Any ideas?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
donald1

ok, empty the calendar, create a new setting for the sync (delete the old one), use the latest cable/bluetooth drivers, update to the new PC suite software (and all in the reverse order).
In case you use bluetooth you should disable the automatic authorization and do this manual.

Hope this works.

But first do switch your phone completely of and start it again.
Please use plain text.