Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia PC Suite – how to import contacts from a csv...

Registered Member
no_2_nok

Re: Nokia PC Suite – how to import contacts from a csv text file into your mobile

It has taken almost 2 hours to solve this one. I am a E71 user and had faced the same difficulty as most of you. I do not know of this would help everybody. My notes are below:

1- Initially export a few lines of data with CSV (initial.CSV).

2- Open the CSV with Notepad and you will realize both the header and the data are in " ".

3- Open the CSV with excel. Copy the data in the rows and do not touch the headers.

4- Save your file in CSV format (import.CSV).

5- Open import.CSV in Notepad. Copy the Header line (lines) from initial.CSV and paste it over import.CSV header line (lines).

6- Data in rows of import.CSV should not have " " and only be separated with semicolon or comma (same as the header).

7- Now the important part, copy the data to a word processor for editing.

8- Make sure all the lines have the same number of semicolons (or commas) as the header!!!

9- In the data rows put 1 space before the paragraph mark (after the semicolon or coma)!!!

10- Copy the data back to Notepad and Save it.

11- It is ready for uploading.

I do not know the reason for all this trouble but nokia seems to be getting a kick out of it.

Hope it works.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
maths_folk

Re: Nokia PC Suite – how to import contacts from a csv text file into your mobile

There are many difficulties with the nokia contacts export csv file.  And it has taken me many hours of investigation and false starts and crashes to come with the recommendations below.

1) Nokia PC Suite exports the csv file in Unicode format, this is incompatible with Excel and must be converted to ASCII text e.g.. in Wordpad- specify text format and change the extension to csv

2) It does not export the contact groups - I resolved this by using the field "company" to hold a letter for each contact group it is in.  This allows grouping in Excel etc.

3) Excel mishandles numbers even when contained in quotes - and so the leading zero on the telephone number gets removed. The only fix I have found is to use a phone format like 01223-123123. Not very convenient but at least is usable and preserved in both excel and nokia.

To do this I first edited the file in wordpad, to replace every "0 with "0-

That allows the file to be imported into Excel, where I tinkered with the format using the MID function.

4) nokia will not handle a file which has nothing in the final field. This can be fixed by wrapping every field in quotes, But it's less trouble to put a dot in the final field i.e..

"Business Country/Region"

5) Nokia suite provided for 3 copies( General, Home, Business) of email, mobile, phone and address .  This can create problems when importing and exporting to outlook express, wab, contacts folder etc. Since they don't have that many copies (either one or two copies)

It is probably best to limit yourself to two fields e.g.. General mobile and business mobile, so that you can export to other systems OK.

With csv files you can specify what fields go where, but I think in the contacts folder there is no control and you can get lost or duplicated data.

I agree nokia should use a format that is easily edited in a standard piece of software

or provide a spreadsheet like editor into which you can cut and paste lines of contacts as you typically receive them in a table or spreadsheet.

Spreadsheet functionality in Ovi suite or PC Suite would be useful for example, when moving all incorrectly placed mobile numbers into their correct place for example.

Note that  photographs, ring tones and the like get lost in this export-import process so make sure everything else is correct before applying these

David

Please use plain text.
Contributor
maths_folk

The format 01223-123123 is usable but not convenient. Ovi pc suite removes the hyphen (minus) after editing and the phone does not recognise the incoming caller. The only solution is to use word pad to change all "0 to "0- after export and to remove the hyphen before import.
Please use plain text.

cdl_1

You are such a sweet heart, i was completely lost when the file was not getting imported.

Your steps were simple to follow and easy to execute.

Thanks again for a great share.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hansteja

Hi, I've found an EASY method from another forum which I'm pasting here.

http://betalabs-web1.srv.hosting.fi/apps/nokia-ovi-suite-2-0/suggestion/12019/import-contacts-etc-th...

1) Transfer your VCF file to your PC in my case from now happily shelved SE
2) Connect to your Device and go to memory\Others\
2) create a folder called contacts and move your vcf file there
3) disconnect usb cable
4) goto contacts, options, copy from mass memory
5) done.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chipinyuma

Does this work on an E71. I can't find the import function on the phone.  

I am really disappointed and surprised that this should be such a hassle with a company that has been around as long as Nokia has.  What gives?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fikretbasgul

look

*.csv *.txt noooo only

1. outlook express - adressbook open

2. all select contact

3. drag and pc suit contact drop

4. finish all contacts!!!!.....

Turkish say: arkadaşlar çözüm çok basit outlook express açın adres defterini sonra buradaki kişileri seçin sonra pcsuite açın pcsuitten rehbere girin sonra seçtiğiniz kişileri rehbere sürükleyin hepsi geçsin csv fln hiç gerek yok

Please use plain text.
pynpower

Hi All,

I bought a E72 yesterday and i'm trying to transfer my contacts from my previous phone.

I had a Sonyericcson W300 and i exported all of my contacts to a VCF file and tried importing it to my E72 via bluetooth (w300>laptop>E72). All contacts were transfered to my laptop as asingle VCF file.

But whe i tried to import it to contacts of of E72, it only imported the first entry (contact info of the 1sr person) only.

Then i tried out this simple app where it converted the entire contact list in in to small individual VCF files. But that created 486 individual files. when i tried to export (via bluetooth) to my E72 it got stuck.

So i tried to import them in batches of 10. it was successful. however there is no way to import all the contact details from all of those files at once. i have to click one by one and accept the acontacts in to the contact list of the E72.

Nokia, has done a very impressive job by packaging all of the features one could imagine of in to one amazing masterpies called E72. But if there is not a better way of importing contacts from a open file format such as VCF in to its address book, then all of that effort is gone to waste. Coz it;s one of the most basic requirements one would expect to be very easyly done!

Please let me know of a way to do this in a less exhaustive way.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Guys, I love this forum because I feel it is good to share knowledge. The fact is I have read so many forums including this where I found tons of useful contribution but none of which worked for me directly, before I continue explaining the way I believe you will get your CSV contacts imported I wish to thank Dutchlaw who actually paved the way by providing insight how the data format should be like, his post was a founding stone to my success. My old phone Nokia 5130 had contacts not properly saved so there were too many duplicates which I wanted to eliminate in my nokia E5, well it is company’s but at least I wanted it to have clean and clear contacts properly detailed. So I export my contact into CSV and removed all duplicates, voila, here I had my clean contacts file, trying to import into the phone Using Nokia PC suite no contact was imported, I tried all suggestions from different forums for about 7 days while watching protests in Egypt but no luck. You won’t believe my success came in parallel with Egyptians. I finally managed to import a txt file. Here was my approach 1. Don’t try to import as CSV Nokia PC suite has problems with this, my proof is I created dummy contacts in the phone exported to CSV re-importing back into phone without having to open the file and it worked, but once I opened the file and just save without tempering into it ,importing refused; this test I did after trying to use the exported file as a template for hours, days uhhh it never worked. Then I decided to export as TXT still same problem as it happened with CSV. 2. Then I noticed that a TXT file there must be “TAB” between the colon after the field name and the Data, it was difficult creating a TAB using excel because as you type in and press TAB key, the cursor moves into next cell, work around I created my file with two columns in Excel. First Colum A there were fields and Column B contacts data for corresponding fields. Colums C I put a semicolon, then Column D I concatenated the three , =CONCATERNATE(A1, C1,B1). Then applied the formula for all the data down the column. I copied column D into a blank NotePad in order to remove cell boxes before copying into a MS word file, otherwise in word it would be a table another nightmare. In word I used CTRL+H, clicked on “more” to show more options, selected “Use WildCards option” in the “Find what” I put the “;” (semicolon without quotes, in “Replace with” I put “^t” without quote (Press SHIFT+6 to get ^ then t) this combination stands for a “TAB” space. Clicked replace all, uuuuhhhhhh TAB came in! 3. The data had a space between field name and data, I copied again all into Notepad and saved as TXT. 4. Import the TXT file worked like Charm. Please let me know if it hoes you, I would be very glad to have helped you as I get so much help from other on the internet. Just send me a note to my email cdoublen@yahoo.com if you need more help or template of the contact files I created. But below I have pasted how the data look in each step. Note English is not my first language so if you can’t understand all this I reply your email with all steps with screen dumps. Clarence

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Reginauld

Hi all,

Just purchased a very reasonably priced Nokia after my PDA went walkabout. What a painful experience to find that Nokia software does not manage to take Outlook contacts directly. Zero marks out of 10 for Nokia on this one. I remember this used to be a complete pain the last time I owned a Nokia some 7 years ago.  And that was a major reason for going off Nokia.Nothing much has changed. I hope someone in Nokia is listening.

However, there is a pleasantly simple solution. Buy vCard magic from PCVITA software. Create a new directory for Vcards somewhere on your computer. Run vCard Magic annd tell it where your Outlook contacts file is. Press the button and all yhour Outlook contacts are converted into vCard files. 

Then use your Nokia software to import the vCards. Zoom zoom zoom!

10 out of 10 for PCVITA. No, it's not free. But the outlay is cost effective compared with stuffing around with dinosauric text editors.

Cheers

Reg 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TVRAAO54

Re: Monika PC Suite – how to import contacts from a c.v. text file into your mobile

Does the format file requires headers or july plain data csv file. Pl provide a blank file.

Please use plain text.
williamlambton

Re: Monika PC Suite – how to import contacts from a c.v. text file into your mobile

It is astonishing that Nokia require customers to edit a .csv file for it to work with their system. It would be quicker to enter each contact by hand!! Synchronising with Outlook more or less works, but throws up 'warnings' (the 'warnings' being about a few names in the list of contacts the system has decided to reject, for no known reason).

I am obliged to update my Nokia's 'phone records once a week from Outlook, which holds the master list, so am looking for a utility which will convert an Outlook .csv export into something intelligible to Nokia's desktop software.

I am already using http://www.digiarch.org/outlooknormalizer.html to get rid of the brackets and the first zero in the area code present in Outlook's preferred telephone number format, so that the numbers work on a Nokia. So hopefully someone will have cooked up the equivalent for reformatting an Outlook contacts' export for Nokia's benefit.

I am hoping the revised .csv file will go in cleanly, without the 'warnings' which occur when synchronising directly with Outlook.

Please use plain text.
williamlambton

[ Edited ]

No joy! Anything but. However, http://www.codetwo.com/freeware/outlook-export/ is useful for stripping out unnecessary contact fields and provides customisation of some .csv values (though fiddling about changing these didn't make PC Suite behave, but not every variant was tried), when exporting from Outlook. I then imported the revised list back to Outlook, abandoning the idea of a direct import into Suite. The programme mentioned just above in previous post will then, in Outlook, strip out brackets, the leading zero and spaces. Whilst reason is not clear, I was thus able to transfer, using one-way synch Outlook > Suite, what I needed, without 'warnings'. However, field mapping still needs some work, concerning names, but not on account of any technical malfunction. I am using a 6100, which I rotate with a 6230i. They take incoming calls only. Rotation is necessary as the data port in each wears out fairly quickly through repeated use in a wired hands-free/charger unit in the car (a car charging/hands-free combo is not possible with more recent models).  

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TVRAAO54

we can also use csved 2.1.4 a free CSV editor, which a lot more features.

Please use plain text.
Daga86

Hello.

I recently lost my Nokia 5800, ainda i had it syncronized with my nokia ovi suite. Is there a way to export those contacts i have in nokia ovi suite, without plug in a nokia phone?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
goufab

dude u really shook my brain.......had been working foolishly for half an hour......

phew!!thats a relief ......simplest answer.....saved my time.........thank u very much

fikretbasgul wrote:

look

*.csv *.txt noooo only

1. outlook express - adressbook open

2. all select contact

3. drag and pc suit contact drop

4. finish all contacts!!!!.....

Turkish say: arkadaşlar çözüm çok basit outlook express açın adres defterini sonra buradaki kişileri seçin sonra pcsuite açın pcsuitten rehbere girin sonra seçtiğiniz kişileri rehbere sürükleyin hepsi geçsin csv fln hiç gerek yok

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
denanlazarus

Thank you sooo much :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
DanieM

Thanks for the advice and instruction. It worked 100%! Nokia could give more specific details regarding the import of contacts.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Alain2

The easiest way to sync outlook contacts and a Nokia phone:

Buy Vcard wizard, it's only cheap, about £13

It allows you to export your Outlook contacts in Vcard format which is instantly recognizable by the Nokia software.

You can also download the free version, but it only does 5 contacts at a time (I had over 4000).

Job done

Please use plain text.
Eugen_Jim

FIXED IT, after a whole afternoon. Hi, everyone.

First, i imported the CSV file into new Excel, to manage the columns better. The old CSV had all the values inside the first column.

First, i deleted all unnecessary columns, and left only (name, mobile, phone) columns.

Then, i realised there's something with the last column behaviour, i don't know. It wanted to import just those contacs where i hade some "Business home" values.

Next i made a trick:  i moved "General Mobile" column to be the LAST. In the position before this last column, i also moved the "General phone" column (i had a couple of phone numbers there also). Then save the file as CSV.

Surprise!!! Nokia PC Suite 7 (NOT Nokia Suite) imported all 286 contacts from this new CSV. After imported in my 5230 mobile, I could see them through Nokia Suite 3.5 also (i have both installed), and exported as VCFs in a folder. So, I praise my God and Lord of Life for giving wisdom to us.

Be blessed and hope this work for you also. Pay attention when imported the old CSV. Set the columns having phone numbers as TEXT type, othewise you loose the "0" or "+" before all of the numbers.

Please use plain text.