Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Suite for Mac OSX users

Advisor
N_311

Nokia Suite for Mac OSX users

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am a first time user of Nokia. So was excited when I decided to go for New Nokia Asha 311. Was bit disappointed when the box didnt contain data cable. I managed to buy one but the real disappointment turned out to be non-availability of Nokia Suite for Mac OSX users. This is a real turn off. With the advent of users moving towards non-Windows OS, Suite applications must be catered to all. 

My question is, will Nokia develop any such application for Mac community? Or is there any alternative available. I did googled it long and hard but couldnt find any suggestions apart from having Parallels, which I must confess I dont want to do.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Puigchild

Re: Nokia Suite for Mac OSX users

[ Edited ]

Hi N_311,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums!

Nokia Suite is not available for Mac OS, and it is highly unlikely that it will ever be ported. Apple had an application called iSync that enabled users to synchronise some of their their phone data with the computer, but since OS X Lion, it was dropped from the distribution. This is probably due to the growing emphasis on cloud storage. 

There is an alternative way of backing up your phone though, it may seem a bit tricky, but it is rather simple to do. 

• Go to settings > sync & backup > create backup
  • Select all the things you want to backup
  • Tap the tick on the top right corner to create a backup
  • The backup will be stored on your memory card in a folder /backup files
  • Take out the memory card and connect it to your computer and copy the backup file for safe keeping
  • If you need to restore a backup, just copy the backup file on the memory card and on phone select settings > sync & backup > restore backup

If you want to share some files or other data, you can just copy it on the memory card and transfer it to your computer in the similar fashion. We understand that this is not ideal, but gets the job done.

Hope this helps!

Puigchild

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
k_vill

Thanks for this step-by-step @Puigchild. How about for newer units that do not have a memory card?

Perhaps some kind of basic app can be developed like PhoneDirector by Nokia to its Mac users. Just as new entry-level feature/smart/dual sim phones are being launched in many parts of Asia and Africa, Mac users (specifically PC converts and/or Windows users owning iPads, for example) are growing as well. It's not a lost cause altogether.

PS. I'd hate to think that Nokia's move to install Windows on its newest lines prevents it from ever coming up with sync apps meant for loyal Nokia users.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
N_311

Hi Puigchild,

Thanks for your response.

But since I use Snow Leopard, will it still support Asha 311? And will it assist in SW upgrades?

Currently it seems that Asha 311 has a upgrade (from 3.81 to 3.90) only through Suite and not through OTA.

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bpmnonstop

Dear friends, I just can't beleive that Nokia can't develop a Nokia suite for Mac OS users, really disappointed.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
occhifurbi

I agree with you! Really disappointed!!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
maybethishelps

I have been srtuggling with the Nokia Suite Mac problem for a year. What I did was load "Parallels" on my Mac . It allows me to Run windows on my Mac. Then I loaded an old Windows 7 that allowed me to add an microsoft Outlook and a Nokia Suite. The Suite works in this format and allows me to save contacts and calendar information. It also allows me to download maps, apps and updatesf rom Nokia. Pictures will load on the Mac side since the Mac recognizes my N-8 as a camera. Check it out. It does not take a lot of space and is working great. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

I have been using Mac OS X (10.6.8 Snow Leopard), but will soon have to update to 10.8.  When I do, I will no longer be able to sync my Nokia N79 and iCal/Address Book on the Mac using iSync. What I have gotten into the habit of doing is to back up to the memory card on the phone (as described above) and then copy the backup file via USB to the Mac. 

It is good that I use the internal backup on the Nokia, since one time I accidentally deleted an active calendar on the Mac and, thinking I could restore it to the phone, tried to sync it "back" using iSync. Instead, to my horror, the calendar on the Nokia was deleted as well! Fortunately I had backed up the phone to its memory card earlier in the day, and almost nothing was lost.

Maps: No real choice there. Have to use VmWare Fusion or Parallels and Nokia Suite to update map data.

This may be of interest:

http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/virtualization/virtualbox/overview/index.html

I believe that there is a free version of VirtualBox, but then you still need a copy of Windows XP or newer.

One other possibility is Crossover:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

-But I don't know whether Nokia Suite can run in that kind of environment (will try and report back).

With regard to music and photos, I have long used a mass memory USB connection, and moved the files manually. A bit cumbersome, but as the battle lines are drawn amongst the various big players in the computer/mobile business, they in general are not trying too hard to support device interoperability.

Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

[ Edited ]

Crossover (see previous post) allows Nokia Suite 3.7.22 to install, but phone is not recognized when connected by USB.  So sorry, no go.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jamewatsn

Thanks for this step-by-step @Puigchild. How about for newer units that do not have a memory card?

Perhaps some kind of basic app can be developed like PhoneDirector by Nokia to its Mac users. Just as new entry-level feature/smart/dual sim phones are being launched in many parts of Asia and Africa, Mac users (specifically PC converts and/or Windows users owning iPads, for example) are growing as well. It's not a lost cause altogether.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
c5usr

Puigchild,

While replacing the sim card in my trusty old C5, I've managed to destroy the sim contacts in the phone (was a vary tight fit!).  So I will have to upgrade the phone.  Problem is all my contacts are on the phone - do you have similar instructions to those you gave N_311 to create a backup of my contact list from my C5-00 (am also a Mac OSX user so can't backup that way...).  Otherwise am I going to be forced to resort to pen and paper :-(.  Look forward to getting some help on this!  Thanks

Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

[ Edited ]

@c5usr:

Aside from the general backup described above, you can also back up your contacts from within the Contacts app:

Options-->Mark All-->Create Backup

Contacts will be saved as vcf files to a folder "Other" on the microSD card (assuming there is one).

You can then import the vcf files to your next phone (any type) or to your Mac/PC.

(the above assumes that the software on the C5 is the same as on my N79, but in any case the functionality is probably very similar)

Please use plain text.
mleborgne

Hi,

With a bit of hacking I was able to sync an asha 205, maybe it will work for your phone:

1) Download 'Nokia Multimedia Manager for Mac' http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/NMT_1_4_3.zip

2) Start it, activate bluetooth on your mac and on the phone

-> There should be a dialog with 'searching devices' and your phone should be listed probably like this : "311(not supported)"

3) Right click on the "Nokia Multimedia Transfer" app, select 'show package content'

4) Browse inside Content / Resources / Profiles

5) Copy the profile from a phone similar to yours (I choosed nokia500.profile for my asha 205), name it nokia311.profile

6) The file is a binary encoded plist, decode it: 

> plutil -convert xml1 nokia311.profile

7) Edit the nokia311.profile and adapt to your phone. In my case I had to change the following section using the info from my phone "System Version" menu:

<key>supportedModels</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>modelNumber</key>

<string>RM-862</string>

<key>softwareVersion</key>

<string>3.21</string>

</dict>

</array>

8) Save the file, convert back to plist binary:

> plutil -convert binary1 nokia311.profile

Good luck, I'm too lazy to write propers instructions.

Morgan

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Just to say many thanks for posting this workthrough for the benefit of others and in my case used nokia5130xpress.profile to set up my Asha 311

Let's say that you copied nokia5130xpress.profile from NMT >Contents > Resources > Profiles to desktop and renamed it as nokia311.profile then Right click on it > Get info and read information upon Where

Open Terminal and cd (change directory) to value in Where and notice no output upon terminal screen to show command completed upon hitting "Return"

Go back to nokia311.profile upon Desktop > Right click > Open with > TextEdit and amend as appropriate and save.

Use Terminal again with plutil -convert binary1 nokia311.profile this time and then copy amended file back to NMT >Contents > Resources > Profiles

Whilst using Mac OSX 10.8.4 had to use USB connectivity in Nokia Suite mode as Bluetooth not recognised:

1 NMT2 NMT3 NMT4 NMT5 NMT

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.