Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Ovi Player Installation Failed

Accepted Solution

Ovi Player Installation Failed

Hello Nokia!

I am very satisfied with my Nokia 5800XM, but I'm not satisfied with the new Ovi Suite. It doesn't sync or even show the content of my Music on my phone (I don't know why, it just shows some error). The worst thing is that I can't find any way to explore my phone in "PC Suite Mode" - there is no way to transfer music or files directly to one folder via Ovi Suite - I have to switch to "Mass Memory Mode". Why is that?

And the worst thing is that I can't install Ovi Player. It simply fails to install and there even isn't an explanation or summary why it has failed. I'm using Windows 7 RC 7100. Every other program (even the Win98) works, no matter how old, but this brand new Ovi Suite doesn't? I tried to reinstall every program by Nokia, tried deleting all folders by Nokia, but nothing works.

Does anyone have an idea what should I do? 
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Re: Ovi Player Installation Failed

The W7 RC 7100 is not really supported. I use the Built 7600 and I had issues with OVI player as well. I succeeded installing but working with it is a mess. Didn't find the phone, couldn't tranfer from phone to PC, couldn't play the songs. The player is more like a pre-release.
‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.

I consider that a large company like Nokia should prepare a fully-compatible Windows 7 (which is out for at least two monts) Ovi Suite, not some junk which doesn't work with a such modern OS.

Shame on you, Nokia! I paid 400$ for my phone and you can't provide a suitable aplication? Shame on you! 

Please use plain text.

So doesn't anyone have a solution?
Please use plain text.
Professor
tpt635601

Can u check here ?

http://blog.ovi.com/2009/11/12/welcome-to-nokia-ovi-player/

Few steps discussed above [i dont knw how relevant is that 2 u]

From other blog, i saw the following

1) The installation of Ovi Player may fail due to some old files and registry left during the uninstall of Nokia Music.

I would recommend to install Ovi Player from this link, and do close all the Nokia applications before installing.

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/nseries/phones/software/SetupOviPlayer.exe

If the installation fails, then try uninstalling as per following instructions.
First do a simple uninstall:
1. Select Run from the Start Menu. In the Run window type “cmd” and click ‘Ok’
2. In the command window type the following:
a. cd C:\Program Files\Nokia\Ovi Player and hit enter
b.NokiaOviPlayer.exe /command:uninstall all and hit enter
3. In the “Add/Remove Programs” window (XP) or “Programs and Features” window (Vista) Select Nokia Ovi Player and click Remove/Uninstall.
4. Wait for uninstall to complete, reboot if required

If this does not resolve the problem, follow these additional steps to completely remove Ovi Player from the PC.
1. Go back to Add or Remove programs.
2. Select Nokia Multimedia Common Components and click Remove/uninstall. If a message is displayed saying that the component is needed by Nokia Music then do the following:
a. Click ‘Run’ on the start menu and type “regedit”
b. In the window displayed navigate to either “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Software\Nokia\MPlatform\” or, “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Nokia\MPlatform”
c. Delete the key “MPlatform” from the registry
d. Repeat step 2.
3. Delete the following folders if they are present, but first make hidden files and folders visible:
a. Open a windows explorer window (for example My Documents or Computer).
b. Go to Tools > Folder options…
c. On View tab go to Advanced settings
d. Ensure Show hidden files and folders is selected.
4. On Windows XP:
a. C:\Program Files\Nokia\Ovi Player
b. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nokia\MPlatform
c. C:\Documents and Settings\<>\Local Settings\Application Data\Nokia\Nokia Data Store
d. C:\Documents and Settings\<>\Local Settings\Application Data\Nokia\Nokia Music

5. On Windows Vista:
a. C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia Music
b. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nokia\MPlatform
c. C:\Users\<>\AppData\Local\Nokia\Nokia Data Store
d. C:\Users\<>\AppData\Local\Nokia\Nokia Ovi Player
6. Go back to Add or Remove programs.
7. Select PC Connectivity Solution and click Remove/uninstall.
8. Select Nokia Connectivity Cable drive and click Remove/uninstall.
9. Reboot PC

If the cause of the issue seem to be related to compatibility problem with other Nokia applications, remove Nokia Ovi Suite or Nokia PCSuite including Nokia Photos and delete all Nokia folders.

If this all fails, then please contact Nokia care for further investigation.

2) So fixing my .NET framework seems to have got Comes With Music working again :smileyhappy:

So if anyone else has having issues maybe try that.

If my post helped you, click on Kudos button :smileyvery-happy: and if my solution provided is opt 2 u, accpt my solution :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

i tried the removing of files on my vista laptop and it still comes up the same failed to download ovi player so annoying as my comes with music subscriptionis about to end.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Galaxy7 I Totally Agree with you i Hate the Nokia ovi player aswell it is Disturbing annoying... I wish Nokia would CHANGE it back to Nokia music 1.2 It was Waaaaaayyyyyyy Better
Please use plain text.
Advisor

i recently formatted my hard disk and loaded windows 7. and then i cant load ovi player- the latest version. something called nokia multimedia common components fail to load,and then it shows ovi player - failed!!

think win7 isnt compatible yet

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
swa10

Following the steps worked for me on Win XP. As additional care: stop firewall. Do not use PC suite and OVI suite together - it is a source of problems. Stop all Nokia related process before trying to install OVI Player.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star to the left. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
FGFE

I'm a little fed up with this **bleep** of software.

there's no mean for me to download nokia music 1.2 and there's no more mean for me to install ovi player 2 on my windows 7 pro.

I've tested many propositions of resolution but it's just a loss of time...

Hey Nokia Guy's where are you ? Clearly, is ovi player compatible with windows 7 ? Don't you need windows 7 customers ?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hanani

Toooooooooo bad - it does NOT work (Win7)  on the other hand - my N97 is neither something I can be proud of :smileymad:

using Nokia since ages most recent were the 9300, N95 the E71, and since July 15 - a proud owner of the N97 - later switched to the N97 White
Please use plain text.
grillz

i haven't formatted hard disk, but i have the exact same problem.

I have tried deleting all nokia files as is suggested above, and annywhere else i found them. i also removed pc suite and drivers.

I'm on a brand new acer  netbook, with Windows 7 starter, and when i try to install ovi player, the common components fails, then ovi player fails, it prompts me to close program, and i do. it leaves a desktop icon, and i have to uninstall it all again as it does not work , it vrashes immediately on start up. tried loading with trouble shooter using xp service pack 2 settings but it still failed.

Please help, i have been unable to use ovi player for 6 months because it just never wokrs, and i spent forever establishing my music collection on ovi.

hope to hear from someone soon ;-) thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ClementIsaac

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Johannvisser

Thanks! This worked for me!
Only Nokia For Me, Thanks
Please use plain text.
varbaro

thx, did all steps ( win xp) and now it working
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Patfox74

The first instruction works perfect to me! Thanks!
Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

Stepwise not working for me either (win7 starter). In step 2 there's a choice of repairing or uninstalling 2008 c++ version, I chose uninstall. After that 2010 package installation (step 3). Then the linked player: installation error. Then tried for the Xth time the new SetupOviPlayer.exe and Nokia installer told: Multimedia common components download failed and the same for Ovi player/Nokia music player.

It's a shame, the player was my favorite, all others either filter the sound too much (windows media player) or stop working (sounding) properly after a while (e.g. winamp, songbird etc.), assumingly after windows updates, or have useless UI for music listening (VLC).

Please use plain text.
Sage
ken80ny

@swa10, your advise to turn off security setti.gd like firewall anti virus helped.thanks!
was: 3310--> N80 v5.0719.0.2--> N82 v31.0.016; now: 5800xm v40
KeN82Ny
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Please use plain text.
Contributor

The Visual C++ redistributables didn't make any difference to me but the link you gave to the music player itself

Thanks

Please use plain text.