Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

PC Suite 6.85.12 influences Windows Vista USB func...

Counsellor

PC Suite 6.85.12 influences Windows Vista USB functionality?

I have following bug (not yet 100% confirmed): when I insert any USB device in Vista (i.e. flash drive), I have tray icon for safe removal of device.

If I left click on this icon and select "safely remove" I get dialog "Now it's safe to remove..." - this is standard in Windows Vista.

However after installing Nokia PC Suite 6.85 (fresh install, no update) this has changed.
After clicking "remove" I do not get any dialog from Windows anymore.

Actual removal of device does happen (light indicator on flash drive goes off), but no dialog window anymore.

I cannot right now repeat this bug because it will require reinstall of Windows and Suite, but if anyone can confirm (or deny) existance of this bug - i'd be glad to know.
Please use plain text.
Professor

Re: PC Suite 6.85.12 influences Windows Vista USB functionality?

They've done something, that's for sure.

I had real hassle trying to do an NSU software update on my N81 with this PC Suite.

Rolled back to 6.84 and NSU worked fine.

Don't upgrade to PC Suite 6.85 people!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
manta

I do not have Vista, but I noticed that Nokia devices have several USB modes, i.e. Windows recognises the Nokia device depending on the selected mode differently. If you choose media transfer or data transfer (the different phone models seems to have their individual naming for the modes), then you nee to use that "safely remove hardware", because windows recognises the Nokia device mass storage or Windows Media transfer device (not checking right terms here).

But, when you connect with "default"/"nokia"/"PC Suite" mode, you don't need to use that, because the mode PC Suite uses is wireless mobile communication device class (WMCDC) which builds up and ends the connection session differently.

And NSU uses yet another mode and that is why PC Suite "disconnects" and NSU "connects" and then back.

Nothing has changed from 6.84 -> 6.85, but OK, as said I don't have Vista...

And I recommend 6.85, nice new features again, drag and drop particularly
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi gunglewack

Also had to return from 6.85 to 6.84 to allow NSU to update N95 to v20 after wasting time downloading 114.9Mb twice and then finding "installation failed". I then found that if you monitor taskbar the PC Suite icon turned red after about 35 minutes with approximately 70 Mb downloaded on 2Meg. broadband connection, which meant application can't find phone at the end of the firmware download. I don't whether application is now timing out, so that with faster broadband connection there would be no problems.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Professor

Ah-ha. Those PC Suite boys have made an admission here and a new release!

Get 6.85.14.1 from http://europe.nokia.com/A4144905 - I can now update - thanks!
Please use plain text.