Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: PC Suite & E7 - version 7.1.40.6 is the key, ...

Melanooma

PC Suite & E7

[ Edited ]

Has anyone been able to get the Nokia PC Suite to work with E7 ?

When I first received the phone and connected to my Win7 PC PC Suite (7.1.60.0)said that I need to use OVI Suite. I already had a bad feeling about that, as I never got it working on my N97, but thought maybe they have upgraded it it since...

Installed OVI Suite n3.0.0.290 but it was pretty much the same as I remembered, big, slow and unreliable. It worked OK otherwise, but didn't synchronize my Contacts to Outlook which was the main use I wanted it for, so after a day of fightingit I removed it.

I then saw that some people got an older version of PC Suite working with N8, the 7.1.30.9 and decided to try that. And hey, it did recognize my phone, and everything else worked OK, EXCEPT the sync program which says that the phone model is not supported...

So any ideas if there is another version of older PC Sync that works with E7-00 ? Or if there is a new version that would work ? Or is there some other program that would do the trick ?

Please use plain text.
Perusnormaali

Re: PC Suite & E7 - version 7.1.40.6 is the key!!!

Hi,

I've been struggling with the same issue but possibly have a "working" solution. I myself need the Pc-suite to automatically sync my documents between work, phone and home - which is something that the ovi-suite for some reason simply does not want to do.

It seems that the exact version of the Pc-suite is the key. I have exactly same issues as you have with the 7.1.60 -version. I also tried out the 7.1.30.9 version, which apparently works with N8, but with no luck (Pc-suite regognizes the E7 but the "sync" portion of the software says that it does not support my phone).

However in my work-computer I happened to have a version 7.1.40.6 (thank god I've learned the hard way never to update a software that is working) of the Pc-suite installed on Windows XP. With this there isn't a single problem, everything works as smoothly as it can, no error messages or anything. The problem is of course to find this version because Nokia has kindly removed all the previous (working) versions from their servers. This is of course to "encourage" people to move to the ovi-suite lineup. But it still seem a bit of a **bleep**ed up policy: it is clear that there is no real incompatibility issues between the E7 and the PC-suite because one earlier version of the software works just beautifully - rather all the issues are artificially and on purpose manufactured.

However, I don't have the installer for the 7.1.40.6 anymore even at work - just the working software. All I managed to find from the internet is a korean version (sic). The software seems to be working just fine also on Windows Vista - it recognizes the phone and the syncinc-client seems to be ready to go. For me this is for no use because it is impossible to set up the exact syncing-options in korean. However maybe you can do something with it or - better still - find a working english version (then please post a link to it!!!)

Below there is a link to the Korean version. If anyone has any idea how to find a version of the software principly speaking in any other language (english, german, french, finnish or whatever), I would love to have it.

http://freedownloadforall.com/driver/6cf79bc634e859/nokia-pc-suite-7.1.40.6/

Please use plain text.
Perusnormaali

Someone had actually posted a working link to the 7.1.40.6 in the aforementioned N8 discussion. :smileyhappy: Now PC-suite works beautifully with my beautiful E7!

But still shame on Nokia - maybe the move to WP7 is for the best in the end.

Here is the link!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
LGary68

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the link ! Could I find out how you managed to connect your E7 to the PC Suite version you shared for download ?

I tried, but the moment I plugged the phone in, it told me that it is not supported and I will need to use the Ovi Suite instead ?

Mine's an E7 as well. Hope to get some help :smileyhappy:

Thanks !

Perusnormaali wrote:

Someone had actually posted a working link to the 7.1.40.6 in the aforementioned N8 discussion. :smileyhappy: Now PC-suite works beautifully with my beautiful E7!

But still shame on Nokia - maybe the move to WP7 is for the best in the end.

Here is the link!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rrm621

For me (on multiple PC's) , the trick seems to have been to have something 'Ovi' installed - just (stand alone) Map Loader or Ovi Music - doesn't actually have to be Ovi Suite - on the same computer... perhaps this means the presence of some E7-00 compatibility files in a shared directory that do the trick.

Alternatively, use the PC Suite Cleaner to completely remove all associated files from your computer, then do a fresh install of 7.1.40.6

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
NimishSo

A big thanks to all of you.

i downloaded pc suite 7.1.40.6 and was able to sync my e7 with it.Phew!. Its a relief.

For the 1 day that i used Ovi Suite, these were the two issues which i found quite constricting.

1. Message sub-folders not visible

I had subfolders in my messages folder, but for some strange reason these folders were not visible in the messaging interface; fortunately all the messages were there, but without any folder structure under "my folders"

This is just silly!.

2. Lack of setting up conflict resolution in contact sync.

I was looking at setting up conflict resolution rules...but apparently the menu is activated only when there is an actual conflict  when a sync is taking place!

Also, ocassionally i set up the sync such that Ms outlook overwrites nokia but again no such features here with Ovi.

Btw, i used ovi suite for about 4 months last year with my n97 mini...i sufferred but ultimately gave up and went back to pc suite. 

Anyways estoy muy alegre que mi problema solved.

Thanks again for the link to nokia pc suite 7.1.40.6.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I tried to put all the relevant information on this topic into one place as I found bits and pieces around the internet.  It can be found at:

/t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/How-to-use-Nokia-N8-with-PC-Suite-7-1-30-9-apparently-compatible/m-p...

I wish I could update the title to 7.1.40.6, which seems to be the ideal solution.  Anyway, you guys might find that topc interesting, and I posted a link there pointing at this discussion.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bawbee

I have managed to install PC Suite 7.1.40.6 on my Nokia E7.  However, although I can delete my old text messages in batches, I am having no luck with deleting old contacts.  I did initially delete a batch of 12 but subsequent attemps give an error message "Failed to delete contact".

I am also unable to sync with my Lotus Notes (V 8.0.2) contacts.

Does anyone have any further advice, please.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
silversteel

I have just shelled out for the new nokia E7 and AM DISSAPOINTED NOT BEING ABLE TO USE THE LATEST NOKIA PC SUITE, ESPECIALLY FOR IMPORTING / EXPORTING CONTACTS ETC!!

OVI SUITE IS **bleep**!

IF ANYONE FROM NOKIA IS READING  - If it isn't broken, leave it alone.

Here are the links for available older versions of pc suite.

http://www.soft82.com/version/download/windows/nokia-pc-suite-6-85/

http://www.soft82.com/download/windows/nokia-ovi-suite/

http://www.oldapps.com/nokia_suite.php

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
silversteel

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the 7.1.40.6 version link.

Just installed it and connected straight to the E7 no problems.

If anyone from Nokia is reading - give people the choice.

Pc suite or Ovi suite, don't  FORCE people to have to use something that doesn't suit them.

Make sure both programs do what they did before you bring out any updates and make sure they both work with all new and old phones regardless.

Your customers like me and others using this forum spend good money on your merchandise, so you should honour that by providing decent software that works with old and new phones.

I will definitely think twice before another NOKIA mobile phone in the future.

The amount of legwork myself and others have gone to, to get a compatible working version of pc suite to work with the E7 is unbelievable!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Headphones

Thanks sooooooo much for posting the link.

I just got the E7 after much deliberation because Nokia has
abandoned us in so many ways.

I am however wedded to Nokia (ovi) maps and the synchronization
with my PC.

Also the keyboard is the best out there.

I was soo disappointed not to have the PC synchronization
working.

In addition Ovi Suite is simply PANTS.

Resource heavy - it makes my whole PC run slowly.

PS Suite is just excellent and lets you control what you want it
to do.

Thanks for making my phone and PC experience seamless once
again!!

Please use plain text.
Axel_H

Re: PC Suite & E7 - version 7.1.40.6 is the key, ?but where can I find it ?

Like others who have commented before me, bought the E7, really pleased with it until I tried to use the latest PC Suite, which of course did not work.

So before I waste any more time on this and get even more annoyed, Is there any way to get the latest version of PC Suite to work with the E7 or can I download Version 71.40.6 (as some commented working with the E7) from somewhere.

The links I found so far, although they say download for the older version, all download the latest.

......as somebody else said, why oh why do they feel they have to change things if it works.

Any help very much appreciated,

Axel 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Windy2

Hello, I'm really pleased to know that I can use pc suite 7.1.40.6 but the pc suite 7.1.40.6 which I downloaded from the link above post was not .exe and I couldn't open it. Someone kindly assist as I'm anxious to get my "expensive E7" going.
Many thanks.
Please use plain text.
SQCOM

Hi,

The answer  -  I think - is quite easy, once downloaded to a folder rename the file to add the missing .exe to the end. the installer then seems to work. Haven't tried to run program yet as now need to restart. I'll let you know what happens.

Please use plain text.
SQCOM

Thank you Perusnormaali for the link' a great discovery after a long time fighting Nokia's hiding software tricks. The   file worked after renaming to add the .exe extension. What would be really good now would be to get Nokia to release an updated version of a programme called Nokia Intellisync which works with newer phones (N series etc). This was better than pcsuite or ovi (not difficult to be better than Ovi) and has lots of useful features, folder selection was extemely comprehensive and had a push sync feature so changes happened on both devices instantly. Please Nokia take note, I love the N8 but not the sync software.

Please use plain text.
SQCOM

adding .exe works! now running and syncing with Windows 7 and an N8 good luck
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dunes

it is given in the link above by a member and it works.  but i recently got my e7 and can someone tell me if my pc is connected to a broadband, how can i surf net from my pc connection if my phone is not connected. it always say the other way round i.e. connect pc to net through phone but how to connect phone to net through pc.

dunes

Please use plain text.
LRyder

:smileysurprised:

It works!

Why this is not public solution by Nokia, only users know solutions? I have been without calendar and todo 6 months.

Wau!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
skywalk27

Hi there.

Bit late in the day but try this.

Most cell fones in 2009/2010 had PC suite installed on the memory card so as soon as you tried to hook it to PC, hey presto it tries to Auto install.

Had all the same problems so today I removed 7.1.6 or whatever and put 7.1.26 from a borrowed 6303....

All fine and dandy unless I'm missing a trick.... problem solved

So Nokia, come on... REMOVE THE SYMBIAN BLOCK forcing use of substandard Ovi that cant see MMS, have separate calendar unless you want to hook to outlook, and numerous other slow sluggish memory hogging things.....

Either that or give Ovi the full functionality of PC suite (like that going to happen.....

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
podhalanski

Hi,

the latest PC Suite 7.1.61.2 supports also Symbian 3 devices. You can download it from nokia.com/pcsuite.

Please use plain text.