Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

PC Suite : format of contact import CSV ? is conta...

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

PC Suite : format of contact import CSV ? is contact import 100% broken, or can it work ?

Hi,
I've just got a nokia and installed PC Suite.
I want to import my contact list from my previous phone.

I'm trying to use the "import CSV" for contacts, but it is broken.

I cannot event load the files that are exported by PC Suite (French version).
This exported CSV file is encoded in UTF16, with semicolon separator, double quote quoting, and with a first row containing the labels.
it fails to load.

I've tried many change on one simple line (encoding iso, comma separator, no header row), and nothing works

Can someone give me the CSV format for import, or just a sample. I've writen a Java program to convert my agenda in CSV, and I can retro-engineer anything that can works, but noting works.

I've look here and on all internet and it seems a FAQ with no answer. the only answer is to sync with outlook, but it is not a solution.

I could also build a txt file, but here also I need the format or at least an example that works, even just one line.

the kind of separators, the number and order of fiels and the eventual headers are the only things i need.
It is strange that such a basic function don't work, and have no solution here or on the net.

thanks in advance.
Alain
Please use plain text.
Professor
al_lea

Re: PC Suite : format of contact import CSV ? is contact import 100% broken, or can it work ?

If the old phone is at hand, you can try to copy the contacts out as vCard (.vcf file) and copy to the new phone.

A sample header of the .csv file works for my outlook express:
NAME,TEL WORK,TEL VOICE(1),TEL VOICE(2),TEL VOICE(3),TEL CELL,TEL HOME

When importing, outlook express will ask you to manually perform a map from the field listed above to outlook express' field definition.
What's the law of the jungle?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: PC Suite : format of contact import CSV ? is contact import 100% broken, or can it work ?

Ok, the idea would be to pass through outlook express, with their field to field mapper.
Transforming my data into a pile of vCard could be a good idea, very flexible and standard, good for long term.
I keep the idea for later, as a much better solution than mine.

In fact I've juste found where is the problem, that should be put in the FAQ and a a bug report.

The french version of nokia tools export a CSV with french label in the header line, like:
"Titre ";"Prénom ";"Second prénom ";"Nom ";"Suffixe ";...

and when I reimport them it is refused.

if I use the US version, the header in the export file are in english, like "Title";"First name";"Middle name".
and they are accepted for import.

anyway NokiaTools seems a bit weak, since more than 100 contact break the tool (crash!)

--- for a future developper who find this post, here is the list that works:
"Title";"First name";"Middle name";"Last name";"Suffix";"Job title";"Company";"Birthday";"SIP address";"Push-to-talk";"Share view";"User ID";"Notes";"General mobile";"General phone";"General e-mail";"General fax";"General video call";"General web address";"General VOIP address";"General P.O.Box";"General extension";"General street";"General postal/ZIP code";"General city";"General state/province";"General country/region";"Home mobile";"Home phone";"Home e-mail";"Home fax";"Home video call";"Home web address";"Home VOIP address";"Home P.O.Box";"Home extension";"Home street";"Home postal/ZIP code";"Home city";"Home state/province";"Home country/region";"Business mobile";"Business phone";"Business e-mail";"Business fax";"Business video call";"Business web address";"Business VOIP address";"Business P.O.Box";"Business extension";"Business street";"Business postal/ZIP code";"Business city";"Business state/province";"Business country/region";""

the file is encoded in UTF16, and on my french XP the ';' is the column separator.
Alain
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Because I had the same problem, I test your soluce. Result is: no way, it doesn't work !
I save the file on different format: csv: 7% and it stop. Txt unicode: 50% and stop...without leaving a single new contact !
Any other idea ?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
cricfancy

Hi scolinbxls,

Do you have any spcl characters or unwanted spaces on your contacts?? I am not sure if this may also create any problem???
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

in fact I realise that I loaded the CSV with the English-US version of nokia tools.
I've not even installed back the FR version.

maybe you cannot even load the english CSV with non-US version.

another fundmental fact is the encoding which is UTF16 (not so common to use UTF16... iso8859-1 and UTF8 are more common).
for easy encoding I use crimsoneditor. I suppose excel or openoffice cannot produce UTF16 CSV (check).

finally, maybe you need some voodoo 8~/ (sorry for this hightech solution, I'm an IT professional, and voodoo is commonly used at work- because praying does not work)
Alain
Please use plain text.

It worked for me: I had exported my contact with the french version of Nokia PC suite and it was impossible to reimport them. So I changed the header of the csv file with the one provided by alainco, then I installed the US version of the PC suite, and then I was able to reimport my contacts!

Thanks for your help alainco.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Seams that they have an other problem on the number of field for the french version of exportation.

What I have done:

Export my book with the french version

Modifying it with Notepad++,scalc than notepad++:

- Filing last field with "End" (Search regular ;""$ replace with ;"END")

- Adding an export for some contact with english version (for the first line....)

- Checking Formating in SCALC and adjusting column

- Save

- Back in Notepad++:

Search for ;;replace with ;"";

Search for ^;replace with "";

Search for ;$replace with ;""

Search for \(33[0-9]{9}\) replace with "+\1" =>That was to enclose phone number

-Then, for adding the last column

Search for ;"END"$ replace with ;"";"" =>Be carefull to do it only once !

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hello,

Used version = Nokia_PC_Suite_rel_7_0_8_2_fre_web.exe

Windows XP; French version

I tryed the following

I first installed french version of the software

exported frm my 6021 the contact list in CSV file

Tyed to import the file it on Nokia 3110 and 3109: No way

Following recommendations

--------------------------------------

I uninstalled the PC suite

I installed an english version without changing any regional settings

Exported contacts file in CSV as previous

Reimported it succesfully

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Have a look at this:

/discussions/board/message?board.id=pcsuite&message.id=34375&jump=true (Post 8)

Maybe it helps

Re

ErOtto

Please use plain text.

Hi all

Having stood on the shoulders of the giants above, this piece of excel work may be useful

in Excel (I only used first name (Cell A,) last name (cell B), phone (Cell C)  and email (Cell C) headings, but use as many/few as you want

In cell E1, type "First name","Last name","General phone","General email"

in cell E2 type =CONCATENATE("""",A3,""",""",B3,""",""",C3,""",""",D3,"""",)

This will join the cells together, put "" marks and commas as necessary.

Select whole of column E and then open notepad and paste and then save as ????.csv

This will import straight away into nokia comms manager.

I spent 2 days trying different things and this worked first time on new E51 with 117 contacts

Have fun

Neil

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Neil,

Bought a Nokia and tried to import data from excell.

After a few tries it worked, but the column of the mobile phone was lost.

I exported a contact list in csv-format from the Nokia Communication Centre and imported it again without any treatment. The result: Nokia software doubled the number of contacts (2x the same) and removed the cellphone numbers.

I tried to import csv, txt, ... Nothing helps. Import succeeds, but without cellphone numbers.

Does anyone has a solution for this problem?

Cellphone = N3109 classic; I use the latest version of pc suite: 7.1.26.0 with Windows XP professional and service pack III.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

this helps for sure!!

have been struggling on this very non-user friendly ado. After hours of staring on the import problems I found that going around it solves the problem within 5 minutes!!

Simply use the 'back up' functionality to have all the contacts from your previous Nokia in a file. Then import this into your new one. DONE!!  (I used the bluetooth functionality to avoid the fact that you need different cables.......)

Enjoy this, everybody. I simply wish had thought of this much earlier; took me 4 hours before this idea  :-(

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi all 

Some suggestions to create a correct CSV file for Nokia PC Suite:

1. Export your contacts from your old system (e.g. Motorola PC Tools) a file in CSV format
  2. Create a contact in Nokia PC Suite
  3. File > Export that contact in CSV format
  4. Open that file with CVS editor like UltraEdit (www.ultraedit.com FreeTrial) no Excel because it have some problems and open also  your file with your real contacts
  5. Compare to syntax of first line because the column labels MUST are the same, if you notice difference like "Business phone" (Nokia PC Suite) and "Business ph" (your contact file) you must update the label with the same words of Nokia PC Suite file. IMPORTANT: save the same original file (do not change the name!) and close editor
  6. Import the file in Nokia PC Suite
  7. If you do not mistake will be all ok in another way ... check again!
 Get to work!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hello,

Well it still does not work for me.

I lost all my contacts after using Nokia PC Suite's Communication Centre 7.1.30 as follows:
- I exported my phone's contacts to a file in the .csv format.
- I then edited the .csv in Excel to make various updates.
- I then cleared the previous list of contacts from the phone. (As I had removed a few contacts, and did not want them to stay behind)
- I then attempted to import the modified .csv file back in Communication Centre.
Communication Centre failed to import that file, saying: "The contacts cannot be imported. Check the file format."
I thought I was safe because I had backed up the initial .csv file... But Communication Centre also refuses to import it, with the same error

message.
More than 100 contacts were lost!

I tried to repeat the process by creating 1 contact on the phone, exporting it to a .csv, and immediately trying to reimport that .csv. This too

fails, still with the same error message. Conclusion: PC Suite Communication Centre is unable to reload its own .csv files!

The problem has been discussed on several topics:
/discussions/board/message?board.id=pcsuite&thread.id=34154
/discussions/board/message?board.id=pcsuite&message.id=27647
/discussions/board/message?board.id=pcsuite&message.id=27660
Various workarounds were proposed by users on these forums. None of them works for me.

I've tried changing the field headers; Reducing the number of fieds to only a few basic ones; Not having header at all; Using semi-colons instead of commas.
Nothing works.

So it appears that this is a real PC Suite bug, that needs to be fixed by Nokia engineers in future versions of PC Suite.

Who knows how to get support from Nokia themselves?

Please use plain text.
Sage

My PC Suite is able to re-load its own CSV files no problems. I even made some by hand in ASCII rather than unicode and imported it OK.

If you send me your contacts file I'll try importing it?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: PC Suite : is contact import 100% broken, or can it work ? - Nokia now working on this

I struggled with this, read and tried all the tricks in this thread and got nowhere............. so........................ I managed to get the email of the Nokia CEO and sent a firm but polite note about this problem. We now have Nokia product and quality management working on the problem! Further posts as and when they produce a solution!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: PC Suite : is contact import 100% broken, or can it work ? - Nokia now working on this

For those still following the thread...........

My e-mail to the CEO produce a lot of action and Nokia have been excellent in providing support to solve this problem. After much e-mail interchange I happened to be in Helsinki on business and they sent somebody to help solve the problem - which he did, by a total factory re-set that cleared phone memory and the csv import then worked.

The entire process has shown up numerous inconsistencies between the phone and PC suite and Nokia say they will work on this.

I also learned that the reason UK users are way behind on software releases for the phone is that our carriers (Orange in my case) have not "approved" the firmware upgrade. I find it hard to believe that this is other than deliberate lack of cooperation. It is difficult to imagine that Nokia would release software that would, in any way, damage their network. This smacks of their typical "walled garden", "we know what is best for you" attitude.

As illustration, their has just been an announcement of new software for UK users from Nokia, but my phone STILL will not accept the update. 

We should berate our local network suppliers for their attitude.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

The Issue is still not corrected, debugged by nokia. After a few hrs of breaking the head on a non solvable problem within the scope of Nokia Contact Manager and reading the Forum, the solution is consolidated as follows, works with most phones

1. Make a New Contact in Nokia Contact Manager

2. Export it to template.csv format.

3. Double click to open the template.csv

4. Note the file format required ( My case a 6600 fold  is at the end of the Email) and close the file

you are now ready to import because we now know the format & fields required by Nokia Contact Manager to import..

5. One a new work book and import the data from the csv file.

6. Fill in the Names, mobil & tele nos ( I have used a macro to clean the data by using "Clean", "Trim", & "Proper" )

7. At the first unused col enter the following formula at the first row with the header

=CONCATENATE(A1,",","""",B1,""",""",C1,""",""",D1,""",""",E1,""",""",F1,""",""",G1,""",""",H1,""",""",I1,""",""",J1,""",""",K1,""",""",L1,""",""",M1,""",""",N1,""",""",O1,""",""",P1,""",""",Q1,""",""",R1,""",""",S1,""",""",T1,""",""",U1,""",""",V1,""",""",W1,""",""",X1,""",""",Y1,""",""",Z1,""",""",AA1,""",""",AB1,""",""",AC1,""",""",AD1,""",""",AE1,""",""",AF1,""",""",AG1,""",""",AH1,""",""",AI1,""",""",AJ1,""",""",AK1,""",""",AL1,""",""",AM1,""",""",AN1,""",""",AO1,""",""",AP1,""",""",AQ1,""",""",AR1,""",""",AS1,""",""",AT1,""",""",AU1,""",""",AV1,""",""",AW1,""",""",AX1,""",""",AY1,""",""",AZ1,""",""",BA1,""",""",BB1,""",""",BC1,"""",",","""""")

8. Drag to all the rows used

9. Select from row 1 ( with header ) to rows required and copy

10. Open a new file in Notepad

11. Paste the data

12. Save as phoneList.csv ( note change to All Files and Unicode)

Your data is ready ... Import this phoneList.csv file into your contact manager and there you have the data

I have no idea why Nokia does have a simple maping the field, must to busy working on the high end application and they do not have time for such basic requirments, ( its same with BB, they do not have a simple contact manager??)

I am sure now that the Mobil OEM have undisclosed agreement with Contact Manager Software Industries and they will not develop any simple contact managment in their phone managment softwares..

ddingbat, if you still have the CEO ID, pls email him once more and inform that the isse is worldwide and still no solutions? Thanks..

---- data in temple exported from Contact Manager ---

Title,"First name","Middle name","Last name","Suffix","Job title","Company","Birthday","SIP address","Push-to-talk","Share view","User ID","Notes","General mobile","General phone","General email","General fax","General video call","General web address","General VOIP address","General P.O.Box","General extension","General street","General postal/ZIP code","General city","General state/province","General country/region","Home mobile","Home phone","Home email","Home fax","Home video call","Home web address","Home VOIP address","Home P.O.Box","Home extension","Home street","Home postal/ZIP code","Home city","Home state/province","Home country/region","Business mobile","Business phone","Business email","Business fax","Business video call","Business web address","Business VOIP address","Business P.O.Box","Business extension","Business street","Business postal/ZIP code","Business city","Business state/province","Business country/region",""

,"This","","Test","","","","","","","","","","","1234567890","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","",""

Pls note the start and close at each line..

Please use plain text.

thanks a lot for these hints!

for top 7.:

there is missing a brace at the end of  =CONCATENATE(A1,",","""",B1,""" ...  )

For my german Excel my formula must look like this:  =VERKETTEN(;"""";A1;""";""";B1;  ...  ;""";""";BC1;"""";";";"""""")

I added at beginning > ;""""; <, otherwise the first field was deleted. This  > """ <  didn't work!?

So my total formula is this:

=VERKETTEN(;"""";A1;""";""";B1;""";""";C1;""";""";D1;""";""";E1;""";""";F1;""";""";G1;""";""";H1;""";""";I1;""";""";J1;""";""";K1;""";""";L1;""";""";M1;""";""";N1;""";""";O1;""";""";P1;""";""";Q1;""";""";R1;""";""";S1;""";""";T1;""";""";U1;""";""";V1;""";""";W1;""";""";X1;""";""";Y1;""";""";Z1;""";""";AA1;""";""";AB1;""";""";AC1;""";""";AD1;""";""";AE1;""";""";AF1;""";""";AG1;""";""";AH1;""";""";AI1;""";""";AJ1;""";""";AK1;""";""";AL1;""";""";AM1;""";""";AN1;""";""";AO1;""";""";AP1;""";""";AQ1;""";""";AR1;""";""";AS1;""";""";AT1;""";""";AU1;""";""";AV1;""";""";AW1;""";""";AX1;""";""";AY1;""";""";AZ1;""";""";BA1;""";""";BB1;""";""";BC1;"""";";";"""""")

And this is working for my:

Nokia PC suite: 7.1.18.0  Mobile: e71, FirmwareVersion: 110.07.127

Make sure to import all data in Excel as text format!

Please use plain text.