Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: PC Sync with Outlook Categories

[ Edited ]
for the same reason and given poor task managers for nokia/symbian phones (including Papyrus and Handy Calendar) I have switched from e90 to iPhone and OmniFocus (a briliant GTD for Mac and iPhone) and all my problems are gone :smileyhappy:))

and Mac to iPhone synchronisation of contacts and calendar items via MobileMe (which gives also online access) is absolutely perfect

on the iPhone I even have seamless access to all files on my iDisk...

I know have my Mac in my pocket, which was never possible with nokia - why? this I will never understand....

bdsawicki
(a happy iPhone convert)

Message Edited by bdsawicki on 09-Dec-2008 09:40 PM
Best regards,

Borys
Please use plain text.
Contributor

This thread is over 3 years old and the problem still exists. I find it hard to believe that in all this time Nokia has not figured out how to transfer phone numbers from the worlds #1 contact program into their phones.

Organizing contacts into groups is a necessity when you have more than a few dozen numbers to deal with. Unless this is fixed my next phone will not be a Nokia.
Please use plain text.

Just purchased the E71, love the phone BUT hate, that there's NO WAY to sync the Outlook CATEGORIES with the contact GROUPS in this phone... When I read this thread i get sick! No answer from Nokia, no solution from Nokia. They just do not want us as satisfied customers. OK, next time I'll buy from another company. - Sailcomp over. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Yes , yes i believe it should be possible to synchronize by categories , and also synchronise the categories by them selves because i wasn't able to see my outlook categories (groups) in my e71 after sunchronizing.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Just another voice of support for Outlook category syncing here.

I want to sync my personal Nokia with my work Outlook, and I want PC Suite to do all of its syncing with "Personal" Outlook category. This can't be that hard, but would be incredibly useful.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

This HAS to be some sort of joke by Nokia! How is it possible that after more than 3 years of user questions, there is still no Category sync for Outlook?

It is this sort of lack of care for customers that will see be actively discourage people from buying a Nokia phone...

If only I had this info 4 days ago, I wouldn't have bought one myself.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Did anyone try to get in direct contact with NOKIA?

- local dealers

- online NOKIA people here in the forum

- and so on.

I'm wondering why no one from NOKIA is participating.

Also why did I find hundreds of entries about this issue in this WWW, but only a few here in the discussions?

What can we do to get more attention on this issue?

Bye for now,  I'm searching myself for contacts.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
They say they are working on a solution.
They give no answer to the question "Until when?"
I think the press is not interested. More than 60 dissatisfied customers and more than ten thousand viewers (only on this page) are not enough.
I do not believe in wonders with four years of delay.

Moderator's note: Non-english portion of the post has been removed.
Message Edited by concordia on 07-Sep-2009 11:19 AM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Well, this solution won't help, for syncing contacts. But, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye, when it comes to syncing tasks and calendar items:

AquaSync + AquaCalendar, from PocketTorch at http://www.pockettorch.net/ 

AquaSync places as add-in, on Outlook, which reads the category to which a calendar or to-do item is assigned. It then writes that category into a text string, contained within square brackets, and appends that text string to the title of the item.

An ugly solution, I agree (I would have preferred it to write the text string into the item's note field, as Pimlico Software's DateBk does, in the Palm OS).

AquaCalendar then uses the text string to assign the to-do item to matching categories set up on the phone. AquaCalendar's task list can be viewed filtering by these categories.

This solution doesn't totally conform to GTD needs, but goes a good way toward providing functionality Nokia has been missing for years.

The appalling lack of Nokia to this and many other core problems speaks volumes to their disregard for their current customer base. If Nokia's business model is based almost entirely on sucking in new customers, Nokia will not be a sustainable business concern. All the noise, coming from their Beta Labs, won't amount to a thing, if Nokia PC Suite can not recongize the phone's memory card (as is my case), if their native email and messaging apps won't function on their phones (as is my case), if their apps corrupt data and create cross-linked files when saving to the phone's memory card (as is my case) and the many other problems with basic software issues. 

Please use plain text.

Nokia PC Suite must be stopped. This software is a good example of what should NEVER be done. Most of users looking to sync data are OutLook users. PC Suite is not suitable for that.

NOKIA is an hardware company and we have the result.

Do we have to start a open source project to replace PC Suite?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

So far i have posts on the subject on:
developer.symbian.com
developer.symbian.org
end user forums on nokia.com
developer forums on nokia.com

beta labs forums on nokia.com

What a bunch of retards are Nokia???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is their problem???!!!!!!!!!!

They layed of a lot of people and, clearly, still need to completely replace certain departments.

And their loss of mind on the SIP client side of things. 

Totally insane imbecils.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I too recently switched from Win Mobile to symbian and was surprised that there was no way to sync folders/categories and filter by them.  This is an essential feature.  I love the hardware on my E71, but the software sucks.  Win Mobile may be confusing, but it does everything and does it correctly.  This is my first Nokia in more than 10 years and will be my last one also.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi, I've the same problem from ancient time, when I bought my first nokia-symbian, more or less 5 years ago, a 6630... I've changed varyous symbian, new symbian version came, new pcsuite came, but still the same problem... the groups/categories! But now, a solution EXIST! I tried it in january but the version is still the same! I'm always "obsessed" to try every new software, hoping in group support! Ok, ok, the name :-D OxySync from Oxygen Software... But... Yes, there is a but, I don't use it because it's **bleep**! It made me some confusion with my contacts, didn't add all. I'm waiting new versions but it's a start and it works, more or less :smileyhappy: So, backup your contact and try! And nokia: hurry up, add that in Nokia Pc Sync!!!

Mauro

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Good lord - I got an email this morning, reminding me this thread was still going. I last posted here in 2006 and in that time, I went from nokia to two windows mobile phones and I'm now about to swop to the iphone.

And the problem still exists!

Please use plain text.

I am in the software industry since 30 years, it's really hard for an classic manufacturer to develop software. At least they need to make the software group out of Nokia brand.

After what I read, I will switch to iPhone 3GS or Android maybe.

Philippe

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I just bought a 5800. Before buying it, I checked that "it synchs with Outlook".

I simply didn't - couldn't - imagine that it doesn't do it as well as my PalmVx - ten years old, and still going (and synching) strong.

How can a product made in 2009 do something essential worse than a product from the past Millenium? How Is That Possible?

Now I discover that people have been kicking Nokia about this for years, andtheyt haven't done anything about it. If I don't find a solution this week, I vow solemnly never to buy Nokia again. And tell all my friends.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Dears,

I had been a loyal customer of Nokia from 1998-2003 than switched to WM phones for a simple reason i myself have 2500 Contacts all categorized under outlook, there is no way of synching them to my phone and no workaround....

Being fed up with the voice quality and problems of WM 6.1 and seeing no updates in the near future jumped and bought the Nokia E75 to test. I was fully impressed with everything (usability, voice quality, ....) apart from the same problem i had faced with my Nokia 9000 Communicator like 10 years ago. WHY CAN'T I SYNC MY OUTLOOK CATEGORIES WITH MY CONTACTS AFTER 10 YEARS.....

Had sent dozens of emails to customer support back than posted 100's  of request on official and non-official forums and after 10 YEARS NOKIA still didn't implement a simple feature..... Jesus.

Is it just me and my organization that use outlook and categorize there contacts or is it a feature that nobody uses. if it's the latter let's start a campaign to force Microsoft to remove the Category feature.....

It's no wonder that other companies are getting your market share.......

Keep up the good work NOKIA in messing up a great brand name......

Cheers

J

Please use plain text.
Advisor
joeyice

Current N95 user and was thinking about upgrading to the N97 which will not happen now since they still don't support categories.  I don't like WM so I guess I am forced to go to the iphone 3GS, which I rather not but category support is essential for my needs.  
Please use plain text.

Was using Palm for many years then switched to a Nokia phone 2yrs ago. User friendly phone functions. Bought my first smartphone Motorola with Windows Mobile and have been using for the last one year. It was pretty good synching my data with my XP desktop but I have problems synching now with my new Laptop running Vista. MS are also having their problems with synching with their new WM Device Center so I decided to jump ship and bought a Nokia E71. From the complaints about synching, looks like I may have made a wrong choice.

My old desktop XP Home Edition has all my data which still synchs with my Motorola WM. I can't sync the Motorola with my new laptop Vista which still has nothing since Jul. Now I don't even know how to sync the data to my E71. Reading this board, looks like I should have got an iphone. Lots of friends swear by their iphones but I'm not into the latest fads because I'm not so keen on touch screens yet. Still prefer a qwerty actually. That is the reason I got a E71. All I want is to sync contacts, tasks and calendar appointments to my E71. I don't even need to group the contacts and I don't sync emails. Is that too much to ask?

By default, looks like the non-actions of MS and Nokia are pushing all users towards Apple and iphones. Apple do not need to do anything if they don't want to. MS and Nokia are already screwing up themselves.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

It is absolutely beyond me as to why adding a few fields here and there that sync correctly via PC Suite is a such a "big deal" for Nokia. A chunk of customers are leaving over this. 

If i understand correctly, Nokia anually contacts Alex from Pocket Informant in attempt to get him to port his software over to Symbian. His argument is that it would cost tens of thousands to get done(which he doesn't have) with Symbian app sales being low at the same time. 

- Why can't Nokia finance the porting??? - what's 50k or so for Nokia.

- In any case the PC Suite would have to be edited to support extra field sync. Why is this not being done?

- Where is Nokia at on all of this???

To previous poster:

I would not bag MS for anything PIM related.

MS Outlook is THE ONLY PIM of its kind with the functionality it provides. Lotus requires a server to function and has a DIY approach which doesn't suit everyone. Korganizer and Evolution are getting there but are still pretty virginesque in comparison and Thunderbird Lightning and Google Calendar are total rookies.

All sync works perfectly on any MS OS if you know what you're doing - it requires a little elbow grease at times.

...And ditch Vista for heaven's sake

Please use plain text.