Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: PC suite crashes VISTA

Advisor

PC suite crashes VISTA

My PC suite is crashing VISTA Ultimate (64 bit) to a blue screen. I'll just explain what happens, when it happens and then explain my tech setup.

PC Suite was working fine for months. Suddenly a few weeks ago it would crash my VISTA machine to a blue screen shortly after I plugg in the USB cable between the E61 and the PC.

I thought it may be the USB lead or USB port so I bought a blue tooth adapter and used that as the means of creating a connection between the phone and PC but the same thing happens....sudden blue screen crash. Sometimes it crashes right away, other times it crashes within a few seconds.

This ONLY started happening after I had to change the BIOS chip on my Asus P5W motherboard. Thats the only clue I have...

ANy suggestions would be great. AT the moment I am running PC Suite 6.84
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi sparrowhawk360

Are you using any other USB devices that work or are keyboard/mouse wireless?

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hiya
yes - I am using a USB keyboard, mouse, speakers, external harddrive and skype phone.
I've also tried different USB ports to ensure that it was not the USB port which was the problem.

Definitely the software...
Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi,

Does it crash also if you connect you phone in different USB mode (like "mass storage"-mode)?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I'll have a look. Incidentally, when I get the Blue Screen, it says something about wudfrd.sys
P
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]
it doesn't crash when I connect the phone and select 'Data Transfer Mode' but thats no good to me for syncing my calendar and contacts right?

Once I switch back tp PC suite mode, the PC crashes and I get the WUDFRD.sys error

Message Edited by sparrowhawk360 on 18-Jul-200712:48 PM

Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi,

Ok, maybe problem is related to WPD. So, try this:
1. Open Control Panel (Start menu > Settings > Control Panel)
2. Open System > Hardware tab. > Device Manager
3. Find "Portable Devices" and open it.
4. Select your Nokia phone(s) > Right click on the phone name > select "Uninstall" > OK.
5. Re-start the PC and connect your phone again (PC Suite will install WPD driver again in there)..

-> if that did not help, then you may have to ask help from Microsft (WUDFRD.sys file is made by Microsoft so they may have fix for your problem)!

BTW: You can also disable WPD feature...if you want to do that, see this:
/discussions/board/message?board.id=pcsuite&message.id=14295&view=by_date_ascending&page=1
Please use plain text.
Advisor

It seems to be working now.

I uninstalled the device from device manager
Uninstalled PC Suite
Uninstalled NOKIA PC Connectivity (hadn't noticed that before).

When I reinstalled it seemed to work fine without crashing.
Fingers crosssed...

Thanks for all your help Miksu.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

The same problem occcurs with the E90. In my case the stated procedure was only a temporary solution. Two weeks after it, PC Suite started crashing Vista again - without having changed anything, neither PCS, nor E90 firmware.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have the same problem with my N73. I installed a fresh copy och Windows Vista 64. I then installed Symantec Antivirus and Office 2007. After this I installed PC Suite 6.84. I connected my phone to my pc with the USB cable and the sync worked. I even tried sync over bluetooth and it worked.

Everything looked great until I rebooted my PC. Then everytime I connected my phone the PC crached. USB or bluetooth gave the same blue screen.

I removed the N73 device from the devicemanager and then I can connect my phone! I need to remove this device every time I boot for this workaround to work.

Another strange thing is that Vista 64 now is unable to find drivers for four Bluetooth devices. When I try to find drivers for these (Vista asks me at every boot) it points out that it needs drivers for Nokia devices.

Are the bluetooth device drivers available separatley?

I have Vista 32 on another PC and the same version of PC suite works great on this!

/Anders
Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi anderssvensson,

crash problem -> is there any other detail in crash (component name)?

And does the same problem happen if you don't connect the phone to PC but you activate that WPD device via windows device manager?

What bluetooth drivers Vista ask?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi!

The component that the crash points out is WUDFRd.sys.

I tried enable the device without connecting the phone and Vista crashed again.

I have created screenshots of what Vista prompts me for when trying to find the bluetooth drivers but I can not attach these to this post. Can I send you an e-mail?

Reg
Anders S
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: PC suite crashes * XP SP2 *

Hello,
I have a similar problem, but am running PC Suite 6.84 on XP SP2, and am using N95 with the DKE-2 USB cable:

Each time I plug the phone to the cable, the system promptly reboots. No freezing, or warnings or blue screens (on XP), but a sudden reboot, and on startup a message "Windows has recovered from a serious error".

I can avoid the issue by going to Device Manager / Portable Devices, and uninstalling "Nokia N95", which appears there disabled (crossed out). Even selecting "enable" instead of "uninstall" did the trick previously, until last time I tried, when it also caused a reboot. After "uninstall", plugging in causes the driver to be installed on-the-fly, and then the connection works. However, the driver gets broken (and disabled) again as soon as I unplug.

The driver has a date of 1.6.2007 with version number 6.84.33.0. In the details section, file version given by Microsoft is "6.0.5730.0 (winmain.060915-1845)".

I have tried uninstalling 6.84 as completely as I can, rebooting and then re-installing, but the problem reappears.

Well, it goes without saying that this needs to be solved. Anything I can do? I'll provide more details if needed. Anything Nokia can do? A fast bug-fix, perhaps...

Thanks for any advice.

-Renne
Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi,

Anders S: Could you save those screen shot to www.savefile.com and send link to me?
Also, what is the WUDFRd.sys version number?

renne: What is your Microsoft Media Player version?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi Miksu,
Windows Media Player is version 9.00.00.3354 (as the newer versions caused problems with Yahoo! LAUNCHcast the last time I tried). Also available is mplayer2.exe, version 6.4.09.1130.
Please use plain text.
Employee

Re: old version of Microsoft Media Player

Hi,

Maybe that old version of that Media Player is reason for your problem.

Install Media Player 11 and check does it solve you problem...

BTW: What version you have from Microsoft User-Mode Framework Feature Package (check it from Add or Remove Programs)?

(I have WinXP with SP2, Media Player 11 and User-Mode Framework 1.5, build 5730 -> No problems with WPD)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi!

The version of WUDFRd.sys on my Vista 64 is 6.0.6000.16386.

Remove .txt from my attachment...

/Anders
Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi Anders,

Maybe you should update that WUDFRd.sys file
( see this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933607)

-> Does it help?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks for the tips! I have ordered the update from Microsoft! I'll let you know if it helps!

/A
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: old version of Microsoft Media Player

[ Edited ]
Hi Miksu,
I installed WMP 11, but the behaviour remains the same. Microsoft User-Mode Framework Feature Pack is the same version as yours.

After the device gets disabled (when unplugging), the message in the device properties is:
"This device is disabled. (Code 22)
Click Enable Device to enable this device."
Explanation at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125174 claims that this is because I've disabled the device myself (not the case). As I mentioned, their recommended practice (re-enabling) has caused a reboot as well.

Maybe I should try manually installing the drivers from http://www.nokia.fi/A4313215, even though the specific advice there is to use the drivers included in Nokia PC Suite?

Just a note that except for the PC Suite, this system is otherwise stable and working normally.

EDIT: my other system (at home, WinXP Home SP2) works fine with the same phone, cable and PC Suite version. So there should be no problem in the USB connection with regard to the actual phone or cable. Something in the device driver software is clashing badly with this XP SP2 system.

Message Edited by renne on 03-Sep-200711:46 AM

Message Edited by renne on 03-Sep-200711:47 AM

Please use plain text.