Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

PC suite hijacked .jar files

Contributor

PC suite hijacked .jar files

Hello!

I brought a (used) Nokia N70, and installed the PC suite. (Which I had, btw, to download via a fileshareing network, because although the Nokia site says it supports Win2K, the only downloadable version does not. Thanks for that, too.) It's version 6.85.

That was yesterday. Today I wanted to start a progam on my computer, completely unrelated to phone stuff. This program is, like many these days, JAVA, and therefore comes in a .jar file. Surprise! The PC suite (which does not work anyway, but more about that in my next posting) has hijacked all .jar files, so that I cannot use them on my computer any more. Great. There are a few programs in .jar format that I actually need. (As opposed to the PC suite, which is merely a nice thing to have, I may add.)

Deleting the file association for .jar, as there was, as far as I recall, none before, either, has not done anything. Or rather, instead of the decidedly odd offer to install the file to my phone, nothing happens at all.

So, how can I start my programs again, which I need to work? I was about to uninstall the abysmaly intrusive PC suite anyway, which I will try in a moment (restarting the PC, what programs demand that those days anyways?) but I have a nagging feeling the .jar problem will remain. So what do I do so that I can get some work done here actually?

Thanks for your help,
Alex

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: PC suite hijacked .jar files

I managed to get .jar files to work again, by uninstalling the PC suite, which did not do the trick, using the Cleaner from Nokia, which did not do it, either, then by uninstalling every JAVA version on my computer, and then, but this may have been due to removing the .jar files from the file associations list, resetting it in that list.

I suppose that if I ever tried to re-install the PC Suite, I'd have the .jar files problem again? Or is there actually a way around that problem?

Alex
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

If you reinstall PC Suite, it will, again, associate .jar files with the Nokia Application Installer.

You can change the association manually (with Windows Explorer, or the ASSOC and FTYPE commands) afterwards.

If you do, then the PC Suite Application Installer will no longer allow installation of Java apps to the phone.

Then you need to copy the .jar files manually to the phone, and launch the installation yourself.

To see what the current association is, on a PC with PC Suite installed, you will see:

c:\>assoc .jar
.jar=Nokia.ApplicationInstaller

c:\>ftype Nokia.ApplicationInstaller
Nokia.ApplicationInstaller=C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 7\ApplicationI
staller.exe "%1"
Please use plain text.
Contributor

On my PC, using the Windows Explorer did not work. I tried that first, obviously.

I am also still surprised that a) somebody thought this was a good idea, and b) that one has to use  the Command Line Interface to reset that, and to ask in a forum how to do that. (Which, btw, you did not tell, either. What parameters would I need for ASSOC and FTYPE? Not everybody who uses .jar files has a degree in computer sciences.) The obvious place to reset that would be a menu in the PC Suite. Actually, the obvious thing to do would be to ask during installation whether one wants that behaviour in the first place.

It's a bit academial for me, now, though. Using any files via the cards did not work, either. Neither music nor backgrounds nor .jar files. I am going to sell that phone again. And for the first time in my life, the one I buy next is not going to be a Nokia. Pity, actually. The phones are really good, and I am used to using them. The software, however, really sucks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

PC Suite has behaved like this for at least the last 5-6 years.

Using Windows Explorer should have the exact same effect as the ftype/assoc commands.

If you have a PC with PC Suite uninstalled, the ftype/assoc commands will show the values you want to use even if PC Suite is installed (if you want to hijack them back).

The problem is due to .jar files being able to contain both PC Java apps as well as phone-side Java apps.

If PC Suite wouldn't "hijack" the file type, it would make it more complex to install Java apps to the phone from a PC.

If Sun (inventor of Java) had used a different file extension/type for different types of Java apps, this wouldn't have been an issue.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Maybe it did behave like this before, but I have never installed it before, because until now, I only had phones where polyphone ringtones were the maximum finesse. Which is exactly what I am going to get myself now. Phone, SMS, and an alarm clock. All the rest are extras. Obviously extras that still need considerable development, if my recent experience was anything to go by. After all, if even Nokia messes up like this, what to expect from other companies? I shudder at the thought.

And I don't know why it did not work with the Windows Explorer, but it did not. So it might be a good idea for the next poor sod who has the same problem, if you could explain which command line commands could help. Especially since most people won't have a second computer to look this up.

And frankly, yes, I understand the problem with the file extension, but why does Nokia insist on making this my problem? And a big problem, too. Why the ability to double click a .jar on my computer and install it on the phone anyway? Isn't that exactly what one installs the PC Suite for, to do it in there? What's next? I double click on an MP3 and instead of being able to listen to it, PC Suite will offer me to put it onto my phone, and I need to uninstall it to be able to listen to music again? Because that would be exactly the same thing; and just because somewhat less people use .jar programs, that hardly justifies any such behaviour. (Especially since the number of people using .jar computer programs will probably rise.)

If you are part of the developer team, stop shooting the messenger and think about how to solve that problem. If you aren't, well, I hope a developer reads this and does the same thing.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I, like Alex am now without a working .jar to java application association. I installed PC Suite and experienced the exact same problems. I also experienced the fact that uninstalling PC Suite fails to put the old association back just as Alex described. Resorting to lengthy re-installation of Java virtual machines!

Claiming your software has been misbehaving for 6 years does not justify it!

There is not a problem with .jar files containing both pc apps and mobile apps, this is intentional!

Not being able to double click .jar files is a serious issue for me! I have to write command line .bat scripts to launch them now! Starting Nokia's PC Suite and picking a file to install on my phone on the otherhand is a no-brainer!

Blaming Sun is a lame excuse! YOU could have chosen a different file extension!

How did you manage to register without checking the 'I am older than 18 years...' ?

Please get your father back on the keyboard! I demand an adult response

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

[ Edited ]
Don't blame me. I didn't write PC Suite, and I'm not part of any PC Suite development teams, either. I'm just explaining the behaviour to you.

And even if I have PC Suite installed, the few Java apps for Windows I use (e.g., Eclipse) work fine even if PC Suite is installed. So PC Suite "hijacking" the file type doesn't bother me.

Message Edited by petrib on 17-Apr-2009 09:38 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Oh, terribly sorry. I thought you were a Nokia representative!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

This is still a problem with the latest version of the PC Suite: 7.1.40.1.

Windows used is XP SP3.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
traumadoc

There should be true consequences against Nokia for this blatant system interference by taking over the jar association without "easy repair."

However, you can repair it SIMPLY

Go to http://www.jonelo.de/java/jarfix/index.html and download JarFix and run it - instant fix

Please use plain text.