Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Problem with Bookmark sync over Ovi Suite for PC

Advisor
vanbongjohanson

Problem with Bookmark sync over Ovi Suite for PC

Hey I'm about to migrate from PC Suite to Ovi Suite.
But there is a problem.

Till now I synced my Bookmarks between the Phone and my Firefox v 3.06. This works fine.

In my PC Suite v 7.1.18.0 I'm able to change the used Browser between 3 options.
1.Microsoft Internet Explorer
2.Mozilla Firefox
and
3.Mozilla Firefox 3

In PC Suite I uses the third option and this works.

But in my Ovi Suite there is only the option between
1.Microsoft Internet Explorer
2.Mozilla Firefox

I have no idea why my PC Suite shows this 2 Firefox versions. In my installed apps on my Windows XP SP3 there is only Mozilla Firefox (3.0.6)

Can somebody help me with this problem please.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

Re: Problem with Bookmark sync over Ovi Suite for PC

I'm not an Ovi Suite user myself. There are two possible causes of the difference:

(1) It may be that Ovi Suite has not been updated as recently as PC Suite, which might mean that FF3 support could not have been added yet. You would be wise to check this before abandoning PC Suite altogether. Don't worry, though, Ovi Suite was developed fr'om N-Series PC Suite, and I runN-series and standard PC Suite together on the same machine with no issues.

(2) It could be the other way around and that Ovi Suite is more up to date, and that the process has been refined to allow for differences in FF2 and FF3.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
vanbongjohanson

hm. And what can I do now? just wait if Ovi Suite will be updated or what?

I might be my false and it's only on my pc.
May I have to reinstall Ovi Suite or Firefox or what?

I found on my disk in my folder for PC Suite the add-on for my Firefox browser (PC Sync 2 Synchronisation Extension)
But in the folders for Ovi I can't find something similar.

The bookmark sync with PC Suite only works when I activate this Add-on.
Maybe Ovi get along without this Add-On but I'm not sure with this.

So please, If there is anybody who uses the Ovi Suite can u check if the bookmark sync works with your Firefox 3 and post your result here.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
cricfancy

Hi,

Its advisable that you can wait for future releases of Nokia OVI Suites as it was working well with Nokia PC Suite 7.1.18.0.  ITs my personal suggestion :smileyhappy: Dont be too hasty to uninstall firefox

Please use plain text.
Advisor
vanbongjohanson

Ok.

I will wait for some time. For now I use the PC Suite furthermore. Hopefully this will be updated in a newer version.

Where I'm able to hint the developers of OVI Suite on this topic or are they reading here?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jagga

cricfancy wrote:

Hi,

Its advisable that you can wait for future releases of Nokia OVI Suites as it was working well with Nokia PC Suite 7.1.18.0.  ITs my personal suggestion :smileyhappy: Dont be too hasty to uninstall firefox

How on Earth did you get this to sync?

I have the exact same PC Suite version as you [PC Suite 7.1.18.0] , and I also have the same 3 options:

1. Internet Explorer (on my PC in WinXP SP3 it is IEv7)

2. Firefox (again here its FFv2.1)

3. Firefox v3.1.3 beta.

It can sync with FF listed in #2 ... but if I try with FF 3.1.3 Beta ... it tells me to close FF.

Then I try to sync again and it launches a single tab in FF v3.1.3; PC Suite loads in a window "BkMrkSync.xpi" trying to use this for synhcing or something then fails after a few minutes and auto closes FF 3.1.3 Beta.

[quote]Error/Solution stated from PC Suite [Nokia PC Sync is unable to load the interface 'BkMrkSync.xpi', required to support synchronization with Mozilla Firefox 3.

Please repair Nokia PC Suite[/quote]

I've already ran a repair from WinXP SP3 Add/Remove/Change menu ... even tried to update PC Suite ... nothing resolved. I no longer wish to keep FireFox 2 installed on my PC if I can get this working.

Anyone have a working solution, please?

Thanks in Advance.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

where do you find the browser options?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Exclude bookmarks in your sync settings and you will at least be able to sync everything else okay.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jagga

affinity wrote:
Exclude bookmarks in your sync settings and you will at least be able to sync everything else okay.

Thank you for participating but unfortunately this is counter productive to providing a solution that works for the title and purpose of this thread " Problem with Bookmark sync over Ovi Suite for PC"

Now that FF v 3.5 is official and out of beta this issue still prevails.

I've also recently updated PC Suite and still the same issue.

Please use plain text.