Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

To all Mac owners: Nokia Media Transfer 1.0 beta i...

Ex-Moderator (Retired)

To all Mac owners: Nokia Media Transfer 1.0 beta is available

[ Edited ]
Hi guys

i have recieved the following information. Please feel free to have a look and leave your feedback

----------------------------------------------

Now available – Nokia Media Transfer 1.0 Beta. Transfer pictures, videos, music, and more between your compatible Nokia device and Mac.

The Nokia Media Transfer application enables you to transfer pictures, videos, podcasts, music, and files between your Nokia mobile device and your Mac.

Note: This is a Beta version of the Nokia Media Transfer application. Please keep in mind that beta means that this application is a work in progress. For this reason, Nokia cannot give any guarantees or warranties concerning its use, and our customer care is not able to assist you should you encounter any problems during its installation or use. The terms for using this application are displayed during the download process.

http://europe.nokia.com/mac/mediatransfer

Regards,
Nokia Media Transfer team

Message Edited by vandelay on 07-Jun-2007 05:13 PM

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: To all Mac owners: Nokia Media Transfer 1.0 beta is available

Hi ajak

I look forward to trying it out, as it will save me dragging stuff across the partition and restarting Windows under Boot Camp!

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lenny491

Tried it. Seems to work just fine! Still waiting for Software Updater for Mac!!!
Nokia N73 v 4.0735.3.0.2 RM 133
Please use plain text.

Looks interesting. Can't wait for a version which will work on the 6230i. I might finally be able to write to my flash card from a Mac via USB, and not have to rely on Bluetooth.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]
I have a few comments/bug reports (I have also submitted these through the app).

BUGS:

1. The app seems to force conversion of perfectly normal AAC files created in iTunes (.m4a). The files are converted to... AAC!!!

There is no need for this conversion as the files play fine on the phone (N95)

Both files created with iTunes standard ACC settings and with a custom VBR settings are converted.

MP3 files are transferred without conversion.

2. Bookmarked AAC files (.m4b) are not converted or transferred (they are ignored) - many podcasts use this format and they play fine in iTunes and QuickTime.

(Edit - it seems iTunes and OS X treat these files as protected, even though they are not - also the N95 will not play the files if copied without conversion).

FEATURE/ENHANCEMENT REQUESTS:

1. User prefence for caching - I have a 4GB memory card and may not be interested in having everything on it cached on my computer. When using USB2 the connection should be fast enough for viewing/streaming from the phone.

2. The viewing in the browser is a bit confusing - when e.g. the memory card is selected it shows a lot of different files from different folders (I have TOMTOM maps on the card so a lot of useless files are showing) It would be nice to either be able to select which files are shown, or just make the browser work normally, so it is only showing files in the current folder (selecting the memory card would show the root folder).

3. Options for conversions (e.g. "Do not convert files with a bitrate below xxx kbps").

I look forward to the next version - if the 2 bugs are fixed this is already a very solid app.

Great to see real OS X support.

Message Edited by peter321 on 09-Jun-200707:31 PM

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]
With a little tweaking, I got this to work with my E65 - it would be nice to have 'official' support for Eseries handsets, though. Most of them these days have cameras, and they all have music players! The insane opening/closing of the icon for the conversion utility when transferring music was a little unexpected! But it's a beta, so oddness like that can be forgiven.

I did find that I had to quit iTunes and re-open it before it would work the first time - might be useful if anyone else seems to have it be stuck at 'calculating time' when transferring music the first time.

EDIT:
Another thing - it might be useful if it gave a reminder to update the music library on the phone after transferring music, like Music Manager in PC Suite does.

Message Edited by tr0ut on 10-Jun-200704:57 PM

Message Edited by tr0ut on 10-Jun-200705:03 PM

I am a f1sh.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

08-Jun-200710:31 PM
g0mrb wrote:
Looks interesting. Can't wait for a version which will work on the 6230i. I might finally be able to write to my flash card from a Mac via USB, and not have to rely on Bluetooth.

You could just take the MMC card out and put it in a cheap USB memory card reader. That's what I've been doing until now with the MicroSD in my E65.

Does the 6230i support USB Mass Storage mode? If it does, then you should be able to mount the memory card on the desktop like any other removable drive. (Mass Storage mode makes your phone act like a USB memory card reader.)
I am a f1sh.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Guys, I downloaded this software last night.

All seemed to be working fine EXCEPT for the 2 transfer to i-photo options. I was unable to tick these boxes. I deleted the software and re-installed but still had no success.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this option unavailable on the BETA version?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi scouser_75

I am sure that you selected "Enable iPhoto Folder Transfer" during the Nokia Media Transfer setup. If you did not, click the Nokia Media Transfer icon in your menu bar, select Device settings, and check the box next to "Enable iPhoto Folder Transfer."

I realise that you want to go the opposite way, but wondered whether this needs to be enabled to proceed. Just a thought!

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.

Finally!

This is great. Mac users have long been waiting for such a tool.

It's also nice that you didn't release a simple conversion of PC connectivity suite, which feels too bloated. It's also very pleasant that your software integrates with iTunes.

cheers
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi Scoobyman, thanks for the reply.

I've tried going into the settings, but unfortunately I am unable to check the relevant boxes - the system just won't allow me to check the boxes at all.

I was able to transfer all the pictures from the phone into i-photo.

But in i-photo a folder hasn't been created for the phone.

Just a thought - I've selected the option where-by i-photo is recognised as a digi cam. Could this possible be the reason why I'm unable to check the Enable iPhoto Folder Transfer option?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

In the FAQ, it says that album artwork is also transfered if I added it in my iTunes. I tried a few different songs, but after the transfer, none of it shows the album artwork on my N95. It says the latest Nokia products will show the album artwork. I'm pretty sure the N95 is one of the latest. Anybody have any clue why the artwork isn't showing up or is it just me?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

It also says that if it's added by iTunes it's not transferred - this is because iTunes 7 stores the artwork separately from the file.

You can use a program as CoverScout from Equinux for embedding the artwork with the tracks - then it works with the N95

There may also be some free scripts that embed the artwork.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi.
I´ve just bougth nokia 6131 and i hardly can wait the PC Suite version for Mac. Will i wait to long? Do you know something?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Sorry, i mean Nokia media transfer
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Sorry guys to bring this up again. But has anyone else had any problems trying to Check the boxes to Enable i-Photo Folder Transfer or Enable Transfer Of Your N95 Photos?

I've tried everything I could think of and am still not having any luck.

Help please :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Dear Nokia,

Please remember that some folks with E series phones also like to take pictures, listen to music and are Mac users too.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

10-Jun-200704:53 PM
tr0ut wrote:
With a little tweaking, I got this to work with my E65...

What did you do to get it to work with the E series? I was looking through the profiles in the "show package contents" and was thinking of just renaming one.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Check out this site for more info on E-series and Nokia Media Transfer:

http://techtransit.blogspot.com/2007/06/nokia-media-transfer-for-e-series.html
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

14-Jun-200707:33 AM
peter321 wrote:
Check out this site for more info on E-series and Nokia Media Transfer:

http://techtransit.blogspot.com/2007/06/nokia-media-transfer-for-e-series.html

That's pretty much what I did, although I just changed the RM number and model number to see if it would work.
I am a f1sh.
Please use plain text.