Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Use the PC internet connection to surf on the phon...

Contributor
pbocchini

Use the PC internet connection to surf on the phone (through USB or Bluetooth)

Hi,

I have an internet connection on my PC and I want to share it with my Nokia phone (5230).

This is trivial with any other mobile operating system, you just connect the phone to the computer via USB or bluetooth and the phone goes on-line without the need of a data plan (even without a sim card). I do it all the time with my windows mobile, for instance.

Now, apparently this is not so trivial with Symbian and OVI suite. I have read a lot of discussion on the board with people that were asking how to do this and the answers were all "Why do you want to do that?". Apparently, a lot of people want to do that, so, rather than asking why, please let us know if that is possible or not.

If it is possible, tell us how to do it. If it is not possible, let us know how to start a feature request to Nokia to add this very basic functionality to its OVI suite.

Nevertheless, if you are curious to know why all these people want to do it, I think the most important reasons are

1) we have decided not to buy an unlimited data plan and we do not want to pay for data (e.g. to download software from the phone or to browse on the couch) when we already have an available internet connection at home.

2) all the hardware necessary to do this is already in the phone and we want to use it at its maximum.

Please don't answer stupid things, such as "buy an unlimited plan" or "buy another phone" or "use wifi". The question is clear.

Thank you,

Paolo

Please use plain text.
Professor
pudu

Re: Use the PC internet connection to surf on the phone (through USB or Bluetooth)

there are some tricks and tips here http://xan.dnsalias.org/gnubox/

but i am not sure, wether it is aplicable for your requirement. give it a try and let us know the result
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
a_petrov303

Re: Use the PC internet connection to surf on the phone (through USB or Bluetooth)

good question...would like to be able to do that to...

another reason why we need that is also to update phones software when necessary.

I am thinking loud here - is it possible to start a sort of access point on my laptop which is connected to the net through LAN, so that the phone will connect to the pc through wi-fi?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pbocchini

Yes Petrov, that is definitely possible and easy to do (at least in Window 7). The problem in my case is that the phone doesn't have wifi.

Thanks for the replay, I am still looking for a solution!

I found this promising "Nokia Network Bridge" but I couldn't set it up yet.

Any help will be appreciated!!!

Paolo

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
a_petrov303

can you please tell me how to do it in win 7? - the wifi thing?

many thanks Paolo

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pbocchini

Pudu, GNUbox did exactly what I needed, but is is discontinued since 2006. I probably doesn't work for S60 5th edition.

How can we ask directly to Nokia, there has to be an easy way!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pbocchini

When I set it up I followed a guide on line.
I think it was something like this:

http://goo.gl/hKN7

or this

http://goo.gl/reun

I hope it helps. It works with my Windows 7 and my Win Mobile 6.1 phone.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pbocchini

Just to summarize, we have fixed the problem in of sharing an internet connection through wifi. But we are still looking for a solution to the original question: how to share via bluetooth or USB.

Any help? Nokia?

Paolo
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
a_petrov303

I do not want to distract any due attention from your problem, but I have just created a ad-hoc connection on my win 7 laptop and NO, N8 cannot connect to it.

I do not know who has succeeded in this out there, but I really doubt it...or could it be due to differences in symbian 3 and s60?

anyone?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pbocchini

Petrov,

I just want to clarify that I did it very easily with a Windows Mobile phone. On the contrary, I never tried with a symbian since I have no symbian with wifi. I am sorry if I deceived you, I sincerely thought it was trivial. But again, it should be! There is no reason why a Nokia shouldn't be able to connect to a wifi ad hoc connection. If it does not, as you say, it has to be just a silly software issue that Nokia/Symbian should quickly and easily fix.

Similarly, there is no reason why the PC'c internet connection is not made available while the phone is connected via USB or bluetooth. Nokia or third parties should do something.

PLEASE.....

Paolo

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Stefbe

No answer from Nokia yet?

Please use plain text.
Shinryu

Had anyone used the driver from installation CD? I think it has an app that can connect to the phone to the internet using USB connection
Please use plain text.
Shinryu

Pleas help us
Please use plain text.