Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Using Nokia 5800 as a Wifi router/modem to access ...

Advisor

Using Nokia 5800 as a Wifi router/modem to access to internet using a Wifi Laptop

Dear Support,

I would like to use the Nokia 5800 as a Wifi access router to internet. So I want to use the phone as a Wifi router avoind using the USB cable. I think that a specific application shoud be downloaded on the Nokia device before.  I need the support of  VPN connections and, if possible, a small firewall. Encrypted protected connection to the Laptop is welcomed

The idea is to use a Laptop equipped with a WiFi module to connect it, via the Nokia phone, to internet. Please note that is this case is not the Nokia phone that it is used as a direct  Wifi terminal, it is used as a wireless router /modem to project a Wifi enabled Laptop to internet. 

If a router idea is to complex to be implemented, a Ad-hoc communication between a Nokia and a Laptop that emulate a modem can be acceptable too.

Is it possible and how?

Thanks

Please use plain text.

Re: Using Nokia 5800 as a Wifi router/modem to access to internet using a Wifi Laptopout

checkout JoikuSpot at www.joiku.com

JoikuSpot Light is a FREE limited edition of JoikuSpot that turns your mobile phone to a WiFi HotSpot. Surf the web with your laptop with no cables using your mobile phone as a 3G modem!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
penttisa

Re: Using Nokia 5800 as a Wifi router/modem to access to internet using a Wifi Laptopout

Thanks for these tips. I fighted hours to get internet and data tranfer connection between Mac OSX 10.6. and Nokia 5800 Mus Ex. By bluetooth it was impossible and by USB cable it took hours to get right settings in. But it works also now. I found also this tip and tried it ---- it works fine without extra settings --- only set your internet provided. Fine and thanks to Joiku team.

Please use plain text.
Sage
archie_

Re: Using Nokia 5800 as a Wifi router/modem to access to internet using a Wifi Laptop

@binoy918,

That adviced earned Ovi a purchase. I've tried Joikuspot before, but I now know what I'm looking for - and this was it. Nice one.
Symbian connected me to the world, to my dreams.. Thank-you Nokia
Please use plain text.