Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: When will there be Nokia Mac Suite the same ca...

Registered Member

When will there be Nokia Mac Suite the same capabilities like Nokia PC suite?

Hi,

when we will be able to use Nokia PC suite on our mac? iSync doesn't have the same exact capabilities like Nokia PC suite. I would love to sync all my important messages as well which iSync can't

thanks 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
alex_taylor

Re: When will there be Nokia Mac Suite the same capabilities like Nokia PC suite?

Hi nawan65! You can try SyncMate for Mac and Nokia synchronization. SyncMate is a sync tool for Mac OS X and Nokia S40 phones. It is offered at two editions: Free and Expert. 

With SyncMate Free you can sync contacts and calendar in your mac, read Nokia SMS directly on your Mac.

Expert Edition allows analyzing Calls history and managing your SMS from the Mac (writing, sending, deleting).

Detailed information about Mac to Nokia sync options can be found here

Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: When will there be Nokia Mac Suite the same capabilities like Nokia PC suite?

There are various bits of software nowadays that will allow you to sync a Mac with Nokia - Nokia Multimedia Transfer, iSync etc etc you can also sync calendars, emails, contacts via Google Sync and Mail for Exchange....

But - for me, I'd love to have a Nokia Software Updater for the Mac - I don't see why Nokia don't / won't make one. Every time  I have to do a FW upgrade, it can only be through WIndoze.

Silver Nokia E72-1 UK
RM 530
FW: v31.023
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

Supposedly Nokia is trying to push FOTA. Once this is properly implemented, a PC/Mac Suite type application will not be needed. The current PC Suite is simply awful and Ovi even more so.

Show the KUDOS button some love.... Hit that bad boy.... It don't hurt....

Apple iPhone 5,
Retina MacBook Pro, iPad Mini, Nikon D4

Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi,

Were currently working on Nokia Ovi Suite for Mac. It's too early to say anything about the release date, sorry.

Cheers,
Teemu
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

Hi teemukanakaanpaa,

Thanks for the info but you have to admit, Nokia has been saying this for well over a year now. Ovi Suite for Mac has been promised for quite some time. Please pardon many of the Mac users here when we do not put much faith in what Nokia says. Nokia's actions have proven that the Mac community is pretty much an afterthought. Actions speak louder than words. Your reply is welcome though. Let's hope that Nokia does not make a liar out of you.

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.

Sapporbaby, im with you. Now it's time to change my phone and i'm thinking Nokia N97 can be good enough for me, but syncing with my Macs (i have 3 Macs, old "lamp" iMac, new iMac, and MacBook) it's primary task for phone i own. Last one - SonyEricsson was playing too bad on this field and now i feel that iPhone will be only chance for me. But i dont want iPhone - i want Nokia. But i see now - nokia support is too lazy to make suite for mac... In other way - my 10.6.2 OS cant sync at least with iSync plugin as i seen today testing my friend's 5800. It's a shame for world phone leader.  It's cuz they are "slow northern guys"? :smileyhappy:  

WE WANT MAC SUITE! WE WANT MAC SUITE!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

am i correct?

with the  isync (nokia media transfer) sotfware. i can only move from my itunes to my nokia.

i want to be able to play my nokia files on my itunes...

so...

WE WANT NOKIA MAC SUITE!! 

in the mean time.. has anyone found a reliable DMR to MP3 (Nokia music store to iTunes) converter / process? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

@altitude,

Actually a Mac type suite is not really needed. Mac sync data much better than their Windows versions. Everything is done over BT which is much more elegant than having to use a large piece of software. Everything the Mac needs is built in. The only thing missing most of the time is support from Nokia. It took 6 months for Nokia to finally support the N97. This is from the world leader who is supposed to be launching a flagship phone. It shows Nokia's level of support for the Mac platform. P

Personally I do not want nor need a Mac Suite. I just need support for the phones they release. If they made FOTA more pervasive, then even phone upgrades would be OS neurtral.

What is a DMR (I think you mean DRM) to MP3 converter. There are many on the web that remove the DRM by having you record the songs in your library then re-import them back. I did this about a year ago and all of my music is DRM free. Second, iTunes is now DRM free anyway. Has been for almost a year. All Amazon music is DRM free as well.

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

@Dymitry,

There is a plugin for the 5800, as well the N97. You can go to: www.novamedia.de and look for them. They are a paid service but I trust them plugins more than the free ones from Nokia. 

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.

sapporobaby wrote:

@altitude,

Actually a Mac type suite is not really needed. Mac sync data much better than their Windows versions. Everything is done over BT which is much more elegant than having to use a large piece of software. Everything the Mac needs is built in.

Ok.

1) How about installing some 3rd part software using Mac "elegant software"? 

2) How about converting video for use with Nokia using Mac "elegant software"?

3) How about more 50 things that possible with PC Suite with one click but absolutley idiotic... oops.. "elegant" with Mac? 

Cmon, dont try to sell me rose sunglasses... I have XP on a bootcamp partition on my iMac, so i can see how REALLY ELEGANT it works instead of Mac iSync+Multimedia Transfer pair. In 2007 i bought an first generation iPhone and i know how it can be when macish "it's just works" really just works. Why we must figure out how to connect that phone to computer? It's not our job! It's Nokia's job and they do it as bad and slow as they can do - that's my point. 

BTW, thanks about that plugin link. IF i will go with Nokia, it must will be useful for me. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

1. Ever here of Bluetooth? How about simply sending the file like I have been doing for about 5 years from my Mac to my various Nokia phones. Hasn't failed once. Look it up.

2. Ever hear about Handbreak? Free software that converts a million different formats and allows for advanced customization. Again, look it up.

3. I would say my first two points pretty much negate yours, and provide a level of illumination that you did not previously possess. Game, set, match to me.

A Mac suite would be about the same type of bloatware that the current Ovi Suite is. Everything you need to encode video, sync your data (minus the plugins of course), and install software is native to Mac OS X. I am not sure of your usage experience but most Mac people already know this. As I said before, a much more elegant solution. I have a script that simply syncs my data at certain periods of the day without any intervention from me. Elegant. PC Suite can't do this. By the way Bootcamp is lame. VMware or even Parallels is better and more practical.

For some apparent reason, you continue to put your trust and faith that Nokia will provide a solution to your problems, but history has shown that the Mac platform is not a priority with Nokia. How many times do you have to be hit over the head to realize that it hurts? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result: Albert Einstein. It is insane to "currently" think that Nokia is suddenly going to change its ways and support the Mac platform the same way they do with Windows. It was nice that Teemu posted his "form" letter stating that and Ovi Suite type app is coming but this has been said for such a long time, no one really takes it seriously. Seeing is believing. 

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.

Oh, ok, i'm not so serious user as you are :smileyhappy: I bet, I can beat you in car and truck jounalistics and in classick rally (haha :smileyhappy: ) but cant in mac solutions for all around :smileyhappy: I'm just trying to say: God give us iTunes - ideal machine for work with iPhone. I just waiting something like that for Nokia. I know - it's a black hole but "hope is just a hope" :smileyhappy: In my humble opinion PC Suite (Ovi Suite, bla-bla Suite) is much useful than big kit of 3rd party apps. And BTW - i dont like BT for syncing. It was some big troubles while i'm using BT for serious data, so now i trust only a good old USB cable - just in case :smileyhappy:

So... God save a Fin! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

I hear you and as a Mac user, of course I am going to help you as best I can. We are small in numbers but have chosen the right path. 

As for your issues. I have used and sometimes use Salling Media Sync. It is very good and more reliable than NMT in my opinion. Check it out at: http://www.salling.com/MediaSync/Mac/. It may work of you as well. It does not sync data.

BT in my opinion, is simpler easier to use than a cable in my opinion. I do not have to remember to bring a cable or plug anything in. I sometimes even leave my phone in my bag and the script I created in Automator does the rest. If you want a copy I can email it to you. I am pretty glad the way MobileMe works with my iPhone 3GS. It syncs via push in the back ground. Ovi should be doing this but it doesn't.

By the way, I am not Finnish. I am from the US. 

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.

Wow :smileyhappy: No, seriously, WOW! :smileyhappy:

1) Thank you

2) That Salling thing in free edition looks like almost same with NMT with minor differences. I think main part of iceberg is under water. I'll get my buddy with 5800 again to see what's a difference.

3) BT is cool in any way excluding important data transfer for me.

4) Ok, as ex-Tex (2 years in Houston,tx) i'm still Russian. Any way i know why Nokia is so slow in support. It' legendary Finnish "parking brake always on" :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: They are my neighbors - i was living in Sankt Petersburg long time and it's very close to Finland. I saw them, speak with, done some buisness with them and I can say - that guys have a good powerful brakes in brains :smileyhappy: And braking parachute in rear pocket too :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

HEY, NOKIA GUYS, IT'S JUST A JOKE! :smileyhappy:))))) 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

@SB (sapporobaby)

thanks for the updates, and you're right.. i dont want or need a suite for mac. i just want something simple to moves and play my new songs on both platforms. i dont want to have to open 5 apps and move 7 icons here n there...

and what you say itunes is DMR free? i tried various methods (incl drag n drop nokia wma files to itunes, using 3rd party converters - which didnt convert anything - and gave me errors).

so appreciate if you can elaborate on the steps for that. (cable or usb) if it matters...

@Dimitri..

thanks for the interesting information and experiential life history on finland and russia.. haha :smileywink:

(btw: i find there are not many real apps or games for the 5800... ?) its been over a year they released 5800.. still no support... how about the N97.. im thinking to change to that.. is it ok? is it comes with music? - not intending to hijack the discussion topic...

cheers guys,,

ps: at least i got an email reply from nokia, to let me know in no uncertain terms that a suite for mac is not available.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

dudes,

salling looks cute but doesnt do DRM files.... back to sqr 1.

it wont sync when i connect.

who said DRM went out last yr? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

@altidude,

Nice name. Missed it at first time. :smileyhappy:

iTunes has been DRM free for a while. Amazon has been DRM free from the start. As I try to NEVER use anything with a .wma extension as in my opinion, .wma files sound inferior to .acc or even higher bit rate .mp3 files. Anyway, there is an app called: DRM Dumpster. You can give this a try. I used this to rip all of my DRM files. What it does is simple. You put a CDRW into your drive, select your entire library and DRM dumpster will burn all the files to a disk, then reimport them back into your library. There is minimal sound quality degradation. The other option is to go to iTunes, let is look at your entire library and it will tell you how many tracks you have that can be re-purchased DRM free. As far as I know, there are no solutions (free) to remove the DRM from your music.

As for the N97, you might want to reconsider, and read all of the topics in this forum about the N97. I had one, kept if for two weeks and returned it. In my singular opinion, it is a waste of time and effort. Nokia could have done better and chose not to. In the return, I got an N86 which is a great phone, and other than needed a slight firmware upgrade to speed things up, it is pretty good. I use it as a backup to my iPhone 3Gs. The combination of MobileMe, the iPhone, iTunes, and the native Addressbook, Email, and Calendar are simply unbeatable at the moment. No other company can field such a formidable combination of services integration and hardware. We will see how Ovi evolves in the future.

As for your letter from Nokia, sort of makes everything Teemu wrote sort of moot huh? 

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.
Advisor

ya.. mute is an understatement...

i've tried tuneclone, switch, ApplemacSoft DRM converter, NMT and itunes...

will DRM dumpster be any dift.. off course im not looking to pay for any conversion or for any software....

Nokia should let me play it on my MAc anyhow..as listed on all the downloaded music.. each song is specified as playable on a PC and Nokia device but not burnable to CD.... so fair enough... but get the itunes working Nokia! 

just to clarify, im trying to sync all my Nokia (comes with music) files (WMA - i dont think there is a choice for any other format... agree.. doesnt sounds as refined as ACC) into my itunes (and subsequently to my ipod or any other playing device.

Thanks for the update on the N97... and N86 looks good.. but dun think i can go back to non touch screen.. i  find im touching all sorts of screen areas on my other older phones... N97 mini? haha...  

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

[ Edited ]

Hate to say this but any solution you use will most likely cost money. Why Nokia went with the worse two pieces of media software (Windows Media Player, and Real Player) is beyond me. Quicktime is much better, free and does more. As for your situation, you might have to spring for it. Windows Media Player might have a plugin that will allow you to burn disks. If so, this is probably  your only way. Hope your lib is not too large. When I used DRM DUmpster on my lib, it too about 4 hours but I had about 3000 songs. No other ideas dude. Sorry.

Moot is an understatement. Funny. :smileyhappy: 

A bigger question to ask is why come along now and post the same cut and paste message in several threads that already reiterates info that everyone hear knows? It would have been nice to get a different message rather than the typical Nokia canned message. Just goes to show the level of commitment and support to the Mac platform.

Message Edited by sapporobaby on 06-Dec-2009 05:01 PM

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.