Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Why PC Suite Doesn't support WiFi Connection?

Why PC Suite Doesn't support WiFi Connection?

As the subject tells, why PC Suite still doesn't support WiFi (WLAN) connection, only USB cable, Bluetooth and two ancient techniques? Wouldn't it be about time for Nokia to move PC Suite to this millenium?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Damn right you are!

You know how i found this thread? I was having the same idea, so i googled "wi-fi pc suite" thinking, i would have an application or something! But this thread is what came up first.

I support this idea 100%.

Especially after seeing what Mobiola Webcam 3 Does :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

Because as yet, despite the coming together of two of you here, there is nowhere near sufficient demand for it, and because it would require completely new software development which is not justified in the face of the demand.

With Cable and USB, you are connecting the two devices directly toegther, but using WiFi you would be conecting them via a third device (the router), so you would have to ensure software compatibilty for all functions.

When enough people want it, I'm sure it will be developed.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Make that 3. I was very surprised that I couldn't sync with my N82 using wifi. Why are Nokia research bothering with web server apps etc and not this glaring omission? Re insufficient demand, I don't recall answering a survey saying I didn't want it.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Make it 4. I want to wifi enabled pc suite.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I need badly wifi enabled pc suite, it ll be much better than bluetooth and usb cable, nokia should develop it as wifi technology is very famous and manay people use it
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

hey guys make it 6 

even i need Wifi supported PC suite very desperately :smileytongue: 

Please use plain text.

If there isn't a demand then why are people paying for these apps:

http://www.telexy.com/Products/Products.aspx

http://my-symbian.com/s60v3/software/applications.php?fldAuto=231&faq=1

I'm one of them and I feel cheated coz N95 has wi-fi technology but no way to manage it  :womanmad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Make that 7.

Its a shame nokia hasn't done this yet. Seems like a simple and useful addition.

Samir Kagadkar

Please use plain text.

Make it 8

I'm in need to synchronize my mobile through WiFi, some laptops doesn't even support Bluetooth which forcing me to carry a USB adapter

chisapic, thanks for the Telexy link I may need to buy that "SymSync" which is better than nothing.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

And another one...

My laptop has wifi, my phone has wifi, and the only way I can get them to talk without a cable is via Bluetooth?

Has anyone at Nokia tried downloading Maps using Bluetooth?  You would die of starvation before you could get directions to a damn restaurant!  Ad hoc peer-to-peer WiFi should be built in.

Someone at Nokia wake up please! 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]

mccbleue it's like saying that there is not  enough demand for LCD screens and that people want to buy monochrome TVs, when there is everything in color and people want to use the available technology. I'd think harder and make a more accurate analogy but I can't right now because I got too **bleep** off reading your post.

ofcourse there is a demand, everybody wants to see faster file transfer and nokia SHOULD keep up with the times and produce WLAN support. 

Message Edited by celandine on 03-Aug-2009 02:22 PM
Message Edited by celandine on 03-Aug-2009 02:24 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage
sanjaymehta

One of the reasons why I've switched to Ovi Sync. Works over WiFI and cellular networks. Along with Swim, I don't need to remember to sync either.

Sanjay Mehta
Motorola "Brickphone" circa 1996, Alcatel One Touch, Ericsson R380, Sony Ericsson T220, Sony Ericsson T630, Nokia E50, Nokia E61i, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E71,Nokia X6, Google Nexus S, iPhone 4S
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

It's not a huge amount of Development. While connected to my Wi-Fi my phone has an IP Address... How hard is that... Sync with <insert IP here>; you can do all the fancy security stuff during the handshake... then boom... connected. 

Then I could wirelessly send content to my phone via my PC at 54G not bluetooth (snail) speed.

So add me to the list of people who found this thread because it sounds like a good idea that really should already exist. 

If it sounds like I'm flaming Nokia, I'm not, just the idea of withholding technology that should aready exist, because you don't think enough people need it. That idea is why we still live the way we do. If technology presented us with more than we need we would surely adjust our needs to need more. :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

There was a similar discussion around synching Windows Mobile with WiFi; they actually removed that feature for security reasons (which I don't understand).

Anyway, point is, there are likely to be reasons other than technology or development costs that Nokia doesn't support this.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I would also welcome this handy additional functionality.  Like many others my laptop has built in WiFi but not bluetooth.  I bet the thousands of other people who have read this thread did so like me to find out how and why using WiFi to connect to PC.

Come on Nokia, develop this.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
manishk3008

I think Nokia people should think to develop ovi suite or pc suite to work over wi-fi.

Becoz wi-fi gives you more freedom than usb connection or BT connection.

If my post helped you to solve your problem then plz hit kudos star!!!!!!:smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

make 20
Please use plain text.

Make it 21.

I own a Nokia 5800 and I always have problems connecting my phone with the computer with USB/Mass Storage/Nokia PC Suite mode. The computer spam me with the Autoplay screen so I assume that the computer detects that I plug in and out my phone repeatedly. This is annoying when I transfer huge video files and suddenly DC. With WIFI, I can put my phone anywhere in my house and transfer my videos without interruptions. Another example of utilizing the WIFI is the program WIFI SMS,which you can receive and reply your SMS through WIFI.

My nokia 5800 firmware : v40.0.0.5.

Any help with the USB problem is appreciated.

Please use plain text.
TURNSKIN

I'm 22

If nokia know what is OOP, when they just need to edit transport layer - add wifi protocol+security(same as Bluetooth?), not even touching program logic and this should work like a charm. Of course nokia phone firmware should be edited same way.

I study computer science. I know what I say.

Please use plain text.