Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: n79, Google sync, Nokia calendar and contacts,...

Professor
kurtkaufman
Accepted Solution

n79, Google sync, Nokia calendar and contacts, and Mac OS 10.7

I have an n79 (Symbian S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2), and a Mac computer running OS 10.6.

Currenty I use iSync to backup phone contacts and calendar data to my computer.

I understand that there are issues with iSync and Mac OS 10.7. Eventually I may need to upgrade my computer to Mac OS 10.7.

How does the Google Sync program work? Would it be able to import all of the data currently in Nokia Contacts and Calendar? Afterwards could I still use Nokia Contacts and Calendar or would I have to use Google contacts and calendar apps on my phone instead?

I understand that Google sync uses something called "Mail for Exchange" that I can install on my phone.

Sorry to make this such a complicated question, but I have not been able to find answers that I can understand on Google's website, and I obviously don't want to install anything until I know what I'm doing!

Thanks for any help.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
haZey

Re: n79, Google sync, Nokia calendar and contacts, and Mac OS 10.7

Hi kurtkaufman,

Here is more information about Google Sync : http://www.google.com/mobile/default/sync.html

Before you follow any of the instructions I give, please back up your contacts on both your phone and in Gmail.

1. Navigate to and open the Sync application
  2. From the Options menu select “New sync profile”
  3. Choose any name you like for the profile name
  4. Select and click ‘Applications’, you will see a list of all content types that your phone can synchronize; however, currently Google Sync only supports Contacts.
  5. Select and click ‘Contacts’, but make sure the “include in Sync” option is set to “Yes
  6. Define the ‘Remote Database’ option as ‘contacts’. It needs to be spelled exactly like this (lower case), or Google Sync will not work.
  7. Click ‘Back’ to exit this screen and save your settings
  8. Ensure that only Contacts have ‘Settings defined’ and all other content types say ‘Sett. not defined
  9. Click ‘Back’ to exit this screen and save your settings
  10. Select and click ‘Connection Settings
  11. Enter the following values:
    • Server version: 1.2
    • Server ID: Google (capital ‘G’ is important)
    • Data bearer: Internet
    • Access point: the Internet access point for your carrier.
    • Host address: https://m.google.com/syncml (Important to enter https for a secure connection)
    • Port: 443
    • User name: your Google Account username, e.g. kurtkaufman@gmail.com
    • Password: your Google password.
    • Leave other values unchanged.
  12. Click ‘Back’ to exit this screen and save your settings and also exit Sync profile settings
  13. Highlight the your Sync profile and select ‘Synchronize’ from the ‘Options’ menu to synchronize your contacts with Google.

Hope this helps, it seems a long winded, but hopefully you get what you expected. Report back with your outcomes.

Regards,

haZey

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

Re: n79, Google sync, Nokia calendar and contacts, and Mac OS 10.7

"...you will see a list of all content types that your phone can synchronize; however, currently Google Sync only supports Contacts...."

HaZey, thank you for your complete explanation. However, as it appears the Nokia calendar data is not synchronized with Google calendar, the use of Google Sync would be of limited value to me, as  I want to continue to use the built-in Nokia calendar application for the time being.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.