Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

syncing contacts between E71 and Outlook

syncing contacts between E71 and Outlook

Hi there

I have a brand new E71, and a thing of joy it is. One small thing about PC Suite syncing though: there are numbers in the phone that just don't make it into my Outlook contacts. I have PC Suite version 7.0.8.2 and Outlook 2003, on a Windows XP laptop (HP model). I've copied all my SIM contacts to the phone memory, and done a resync... but there are still a small handful of contacts on the phone that contain a phone number - but the phone number simply does not appear in the corresponding contact in Outlook. I've done a couple of variations on syncing chanding the direction from phone to PC, and then from PC to phone, but that also seemed to make no difference. Searched all over the forum and the Nokia site for help, but to no avail.

It's irritating rather than mission critical but suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And a second query: why do I get so many duplicates as a result of syncing - never used to happen with my 9300. Any way to stop it happening. I now have six or seven versions of some contacts both on the phone and in the Outlook contacts, and the only way I can see to fix it is manually, which will be a long and tedious process.

Thank you for any help!
Please use plain text.

Re: syncing contacts between E71 and Outlook

I have some more information about my own problem, and the two queries may be related: the duplicate contacts are entries that originated on the phone: IE I made a contact on the phone and then synced that to the computer. The computer then breaks that contact into two or more entries - one for a phone number, one for an email address and so on. (So maybe the numbers that are on the phone and not being transferred are falling into some parameter related to this). So to me it looks like a Windows problem rather than a PC Suite problem?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hello
I have similar problem with N5610 with synchronising contacts with outlook. I want to use the outlook data base only once as data and then make changes only to de phone contacts database. After synchronising I end up with multiple lines of one contact: contactname + mobile, contactname + home number, contactname + e-mail. On top of that in outlook these changes are made as well. In stead of quickly copying one datebase to the other I now seem to end up having to alter de phone, de PC suite and outlook databases.
How do I ''disconnect'' from the original link to outlook. So that synchroning now would only be between PC suite and the N5610 and not the outlook/e-mail database.

Heeelp? Thanks:smileyhappy:!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
cricfancy

Hi reneem,

Does your phone number is what you have entered as Telephone number on E71 and then you synched with Outlook ?

If yes, Have you checked that number in others of Outlook, if not, please do check. In phone whatever you have entered as Telephone number will be reflecting in others of Outlook. Care has to be taken while you are entering the phone numbers in phone and in PC's Outlook.

Dear Forum, Correct me if i am wrong.
Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
Hi there mabe - I do know that in PC Suite you can say that you want the changes only to happen in one direction (it's in advanced settings on the synchronisation panel) - so you could say that you only want changes to be made from phone to Outlook, or the other way round. But I am not sure that it helps your problem?

To cricfancy - I'm a little confused. Are you saying there's something about the way I am entering the data in the phone that affects the way it appears in Outlook?

Something else I have wondered about as I work through this one: it seems that the contacts that got messed up the most were the oldest ones - that is, ones that predate even the Nokia 9300 (I had a Nokia before, can't remember model).

Message Edited by reneem on 30-Sep-2008 06:44 AM
Please use plain text.
Louis7777

E71 firmware version 4.** Latest .PC Suite Version 7.1.40.1 PC Connectivity Solution: Version 9.45.0.0 Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver: Version 7.1.23.0 Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP 32-bit Edition, Service Pack 2 Language: English Language for non-Unicode programs: English Detected Bluetooth stacks: - Microsoft (Version: 5.1.2600, Build: 2180). 

I connect via Bluetooth.

The connection between the phone and PC is good. The contacts in PC suite are updated correctly.

Problem: New contacts in the E71 is not added to the contacts folder in Outlook 2007, It used to work. I think it stopped working after the PC suite update some time ago because that was the only change I remember. I rechecked settings in PC Sync and no change. I can see when the phone connects to PC Sync on the phone and in PC Sync. The changes just stay 0. I do make sure that keypad is locked and phone not in use when synchronizing. Its a great phone, please help. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
HarryJOVI

I too have recently updated the firmware and the PC Sync suite on my E71 and have lost contact with Outlook 2003 contacts - I am afraid there os a bug in the latest software!    

Any ideas out there?

Please use plain text.