Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

6300_problem:installing java Application larger th...

Registered Member

6300_problem:installing java Application larger than 1 MB

Hi Everybody
I have problem installing java Application. when I try to install java application (such as dictionary) larger than 1 MB using nokia PC suit 6.8, it return an error message :
"The application cannot be installed to the phone. The file size is too big"
while I have 1 GB memory card installed on my phone and :
memory card: 123 MB free
phone memory: 6.5 MB free
phone software version: 6.01

I don`t know what to do. please Help
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: 6300_problem:installing java Application larger than 1 MB

Hi mkhatibi

Unfortunately 1MB is the maximum .jar size on this S40 device. Unless the application is available split into smaller sections, there is no solution to this issue.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

i hope that im replying in time

YES THERE IS A WAY!! 

see i have a 5310 and i just installed a 6.72 MB java dictionary!

soo heres the deal with these nokia phones. s40v3 Phones do have a limit on java, a file bigger than 1mb cannot be installed. But there is a way around this.

here are the steps

download the jar file you want to install, to your computer. Now open My computer, and on the upper left corner you shall see a menu, click the 'TOOLS' button and then click "Folder options"....a little window will appear. click the "View" tab on this window you need to find an option "hide extentions for known file types" you have to unmarkthis option.

now when you open my computer and go to the folder where you had downloaded the java file, the file name will read "(anyfilename).jar". HERE IS THE TRICK

rename the last part of your file.... instead of jar. change it to jpg so that it reads  "(anyfilename).jpg"

now copy the renamed file....and paste it in your mobile's c: drive.... Iam assuming you have used a usb cable or something to connect your phone to your computer..

now go to your mobiles c drive using Windows explorer and again rename the copied file back to what it was. i.e "(anyfilename).jar"

BASICALLY the phone limits a file with a ".JAR" extention, you can fool it by renaming the extention to ".jpg" and then once the file is copied into the phones c:drive you can change the extention back to JAR by renaming it :smileytongue:

i figured it out today and thought i would share it with ppl

hope it works for you :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Dear ussamanaveed ,

there is a tiny problem with that you said. At least for me, I have exactly the same prob as mkhatibi . Namely I want to install exactly the same program and my spaces are exactly the same on my phone and card. Only I use Nokia PC suit 7.1 and that doesn`t work either: It says the same, "file is too big".

The problem is not with copying the file to the phone, I simply put the card into a card reader and copied it.

But in this case when I want to open the file it says "Invalid application. Delete?" :smileymad:  It should be ok as also my phone is 6300 and the application is *.jar....

And when I try another way and try to install with the  Nokia Application Installer it says the same as to mkhatibi : "the file is too big." Either I want to copy to my phone or I want to my 1GB memory card.

scoobyman , what do you mean by "split into smaller sections"? Do you mean only at the copying phase? What if I succeeded in "installing" or copying the file but is doesnt work?

Thanks in advance. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

thanks a lot. worked for me but i had to use .mp4 extension as the .jpg could still not copy to the memory card
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hoossein

:smileywink:

That was GREAT solution!!!!

Wasted 1 HOUR of my time @ 2 AM!

Changed to jpg and did the installation on the phone ... because if you do it on the PC while is connected to the phone will NOT work ....

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kald7

This is the quickest solution I've found that worked the very first time. Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sagarvora

thnks a lot yaar..!!!!!!
:smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.