Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

*#7370# *#7780# and three buttons reset

Accepted Solution

*#7370# *#7780# and three buttons reset

[ Edited ]
Hi,
What is the difference between the three resets?
Which of them installs new OS on the handset?

Message Edited by jenia269 on 24-Aug-2008 09:36 AM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
friedbrains

Re: *#7370# *#7780# and three buttons reset

hi jenia,

*#7780# FOR SOFT-RESET- does not delete user info such as contacts, sms, etc

How to do it:
- at Standby Screen type-in => *#7780#
It will ask for “Restore all phone settings-phone’ll restart….”
Then it asks for security code enter factory default => 12345

*#7370# FOR HARD-RESET- deletes all user info

How to do it:
- at Standby Screen type-in => *#7370#
It will ask for “Restore all phone settings-phone’ll restart….”
Then it asks for security code enter factory default => 12345

FOR FLASHING- TOTAL RESTORE: (Do this if your phone does not boot up) - you can say this one gives you the "New" OS, and of course deletes all user info

How to do it:
1) Remove the battery, and then wait for about 20 min or so before putting it back

2) Press and hold these three keys together -Green dial key, Star key[*], Three key [3]

3) switch ON the phone.

4) Do not let go the three keys until you see the WELCOME screen displayed and just let it complete the boot process
Please use plain text.

Thank you very much
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

The terminology here is incorrect. The only way to avoid confusion is if everyone uses the same terms for the same things.

*#7780# is "revert to factory settings" and can also be achieved through the menu system:

Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Factory settings

*#7370# is a SOFT reset.

The three-finger salute is the hard reset.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

24-Aug-2008 01:31 AM
jenia269 wrote:
Hi,
What is the difference between the three resets?
Which of them installs new OS on the handset?

Message Edited by jenia269 on 24-Aug-2008 09:36 AM

jenia269

*#7780# is “reset”
or "restore factory settings"
(same as Menu>Tools>Settings>General>Factory settings).
This resets the ini files, refreshing them from ROM,
and should leave user data intact.

This is called a “ normal reset” or a “soft reset”.

*#7370# is “format”
Once the command takes effect,
the phone’s C drive will be formatted:
all data on that drive will be erased
with clean default files being written.

This is called a “deep reset” or a “hard reset”.

Here, with regard to terminology used above,
one may wish to view postings
(2008-04-10 @ 23:40 and 2008-04-11 @ 16:57)
by Ron Liechty (Manager Forum Nokia Online Community)
at http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131378

The “three-finger manoeuvre” really needs at least four digits. It may be useful when a phone will not otherwise start. If the manoeuvre is successful, then (just as with the *#7370# command)
the phone’s C drive will be formatted:
all data on that drive will be erased
with clean default files being written.

This can also be called a “deep reset”, or a “hard reset”.

With regard to data loss mentioned above: data on a memory card should be safe from deletion. However, formatting can have unintended consequences; for example an application installed on a memory card may also have essential files placed on the phone’s C drive. When that drive is formatted, those files will be deleted, and thus the application (although still present on the memory card) may not function properly, without reinstallation.

In answer to your final question, none of these procedures actually installs a new OS on a phone. Firmware may be updated, however; a good place to start might be here: /discussions/board/message?board.id=swupdate&thread.id=21323
5800XM (RM356) V21.0.101; N95 (RM159) V21.0.016; N82 (RM313) V31.0.016; N79 (RM348) V11.049; 6233 (RM145) V05.60
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi there

Just a quick question:

I did a soft-reset on my nokia 5800xm but it did not solve my problem.

If I do a hard-reset on my phone, will I lose applications such as the games and the maps (gps/navigation) application which I received on the phone when I bought it?

The problem my phone is giving me, is that all the music and help videos which was on my memory card when I bought the phone, says 'unable to read file' when I try to open them. I can see the files in File manger on my memory card, but not in my Galary.

I also use Mxit (from www.mxit.co.za/wap) to chat to friends. This application dissapeared from my phone and when I try to reinstall it, It asked if I want to replace the current version with the same version. When I say 'Yes', it says 'Unable to install'

I currently have software version 20.0.012 on my phone.

Could upgrading my software help solve my problem?

Thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
phonehacker

@ cactusjack69. Hard reset deletes ALL your phone's data, as soft reset does.

Factory settings reset. In standby, dial *#7780# and the phone's lock/security code (the nokia's default security code is 12345). This reset restores phone's original settings.

Soft reset. In standby dial *#7370# and the phone's lock/security code.
Warning!Soft reset deletes ALL your phone's data!

Hard reset (the three key code/reset). Turn off the phone. Press and hold three keys together, the green/talk key, the * key and the number '3'.Then, turn on the phone and don't let the three keys before you see the nokia hands logo/nokia boot up screen.
For 5800 XM hard reset need different keys/buttons. The green/talk key, the red key and the camera key/button. The process is the same.Warning!Hard reset deletes ALL your phone's data!
And, for N97 go to /discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&message.id=158831&query.id=591236#M158831

If this post was helpful, thank me by clicking the Kudos! star.

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Please use plain text.
Contributor

What do you mean with 'hard reset deletes ALL your phone's data as soft reset does'?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
phonehacker

Cactusjack69 wrote;

What do you mean with 'hard reset deletes ALL your phone's data as soft reset does'?

I mean that hard reset, as soft reset, deletes all your images/photos, videos, messages, log, contacts,  apps/games and generally, all the files you have into your phone's memory.

If this post was helpful, thank me by clicking the Kudos! star.

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Please use plain text.

Can anybody help me with my nokia 7900, I have the same problem with the security code.

I tried all the steps in these discussions but none of them worked!

Please help.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

The soft and hard reset mechanisms described here only work on S60 smartphones. The 7900 Prism is an S40 phone, which means that you cannot do a reset.

Your only option is to take your phone to a Nokia Care Point with proof of ownership, and they will do the necessary. This will, however, wipe your phone's memory entirely as well as reset the security code, so do a backup before taking the phone in to be reset.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.

I don't have anything stored in that phone yet, it still new.

Anyways, thanks for the reply.

Lusk

Please use plain text.

I have been advised to turn on the phone and keep it on for 30 mnts, then enter my security code. Do you have any idea if this can solve it? I didn't do it yet cuz I don't know the consequences.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi there.

I'm still a bit confused sorry. I want to be 100% sure if or when I hard-reset my phone what will happen.

I know what soft-reset does, as I have done this before on my Nokia 5800.

If I hard-reset my phone, does it go back to the first/original software version on my phone?

I recieved my phone with the Bounce Touch and Gr Racing Tunder games on, If I hard-reset my phone, Will I lose these games?

I also have the Nokia Maps application (which was also) on my phone when I got it. It seems most of it seems most of its files (maps, sounds, etc) is stored on the memory card. Will the Maps application still work if I format my memory card? Also, if I hard-reset my phone, will I lose the Maps application?

Thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Neither the soft reset nor the hard reset (both do the same thing, but the hard reset can be used if the phone doesn't accept keypad input) will touch any applications that are in the phone's ROM. That includes Nokia Maps. Nor will either remove anything from your memory card.

I have no idea if the games are in the phone's ROM or iinstalled into its C: drive as part of the firmware installation. There is the possibility that you will lose them. This said, if you did a soft reset and didn't lose them then a hard reset won't remove them either.

If you reformat your memory card then you will be able to carry on using Maps but you will need internet connectivity in order to download portions of maps as and when they're needed.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

EHi there.
Thanks for all the help all. I got my problem sorted out by just formating my memory card. Now everything works again.
Please use plain text.
Faddu

hi..i am using nokia e63..by mistake i selected the factory settigns option n inserted the code and the fone restarted, i lost all my contacts...How can i recover the contacts data ? please help

Please use plain text.
Sage

*#7370# should delete all user info, but it does not.

On my N97 mini the "Notes" were all existing after a *#7370#.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I just want to clarfiy that a three finger reset can actually ruin the software in the phone.

In which case the phone has to be flashed on a server machine. I wont NEVER use the

three finger reset if you are not able to flashs it afterwards. Also, your warrenty is not

covered if you flahs it yourself or three finger reset it.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Henker

noplayback wrote:

*#7370# should delete all user info, but it does not.

Absolutely ! That's the reason why I still have a corrupt MfE account on my phone that won't go away. Deleted everything *twice* - account comes back after a reboot of the phone.

*sigh*

Please use plain text.