Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Application Closed: KERN-EXEC 0, 3 and USER er...

Advisor
metalmarky

Application Closed: KERN-EXEC 0, 3 and USER errors on the N95

My Nokia N95 seems to have a fundamental problem. I tried to cure it by reinstalling the latest firmware, but it did not go away. It all started when I started getting regular errors on the phone just while using it. Turned out that these errors were related to applications that used the accelerometer, like rotateMe etc. Anyway, I reinstalled a few times and did not install any accelerometer based applications, but I continue to get errors. I think they are accelerometer based (on the whole) but not entirely. I tested this by installing the Nokia Step Counter app.

The details of my current errors are...

1) Starting the camera via menu or opening the shutter.
When I do this, I get the error...
Application Closed:
RRSensorServer
KERN-EXEC 0

The camera works when I use the barcode scanner software and it still scans codes no problem, so I know that the camera works. However, the camera uses the accelerometer to know which way up you are holding the camera!

2) Browsing the web
When browsing any webpage via the built-in browser (for example, Google Mobile), I keep getting the following errors...
Application Closed:
CFServer
KERN-EXEC 3

Then immediately followed by...

Application Closed:
Main
USER 0

Pressing OK on these errors clears the problem but it keeps coming back while I browse.

3) Nokia Step Counter
This application starts fine, but as soon as soon as you select 'Start' from the menu and then move the phone, I get the same error as with the camera...
Application Closed:
RRSensorServer
KERN-EXEC 0

4) Occasional white-out screen
Recently, my screen has been going blank (white blank) and all I can do is turn the phone off and on again.

So as you can see, my N95 is dying on me and rebooting the phone (a serious suggestion from Nokia support, thanks, I really did not think of that one!) or reinstalling the firmware is not curing it. Are people of the opinion that my phone is on the way out? Is a phone like a dog where in 1 year it ages far quicker, in this case like 40 years to every 1?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Hey, what does that Kudos button do?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: Application Closed: KERN-EXEC 0, 3 and USER errors on the N95

I had the same (unsolved!) problem, but while playing FIFA08 tournament: KERN-EXEC 3 error.
So I can't finish the game. What do we have to do? Please answer ...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
metalmarky

Re: Application Closed: KERN-EXEC 0, 3 and USER errors on the N95

Hi Dabon

My solution to the issue was this - and sorry for not posting this sooner!  It took a while to resolve the issue and I had totally forgotten where I had posted in an attempt to get an answer! So thank you for your question.

Quite simply, the issue with my phone was hardware apparently.  I went to a really useful Nokia Service Centre in Ripley (Derbyshire) and the guy there took the cover off the phone, cleaned out all the dust and (this was probably the crucial part) RECONNECTED THE CAMERA CONNECTION PROPERLY.

I was told that there is a connection from the camera to the main board in the phone.  This had worked itself lose and so he pushed it back on a bit better.  I think this with the cleaning and generally making sure everything was plugged in fixed the issue.  

It kind of makes sense.  All of my issues were based around the camera or accelerometer.  These 2 things are linked as the accelerometer is used by the camera to detect orientation.  So maybe by doing stuff inside the phone, cleaning and making sure everything was firmly attached, did something to the accelerometer too.

So if you get this error, take it to a service centre (if in warranty) and get them to clean the gizzards of the phone and check all connections are firm.

Hope this helps and provides you with the solution you need!

Hey, what does that Kudos button do?
Please use plain text.