Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Cortex A9 vs. Qualcomm Krait, Mali 400 vs Adreno 3...

Contributor
proneter

Cortex A9 vs. Qualcomm Krait, Mali 400 vs Adreno 305

Which of the two will supposedly give a better and faster processing and gaming experience:

1. A phone with 1 GHz Dual Core Cortex A9 with Mali 400 and 512 MB RAM

or

2. A phone with 1 GHz Dual Qualcomm Krait with Adreno 305 and 512 MB RAM?

I'm quite a novice when it comes to smartphones, so please help.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Re: Cortex A9 vs. Qualcomm Krait, Mali 400 vs Adreno 305

There's more to it than just the hardware side of things. The OS that runs on the hardware plays an important factor too. Not to mention how well the game or app is coded.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

proneter wrote:

Which of the two will supposedly give a better and faster processing and gaming experience:

or

I'm guessing that the phone with the A9 Cortex chip will be an Android and obviously the phone with the Krait is a Lumia. Be advised that many games coded for WP 8 are coded for the 1 GB RAM models. And there's no guarantee that there would be a version for the 512 MB RAM models.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

This is a Nokia Lumia support board, not a which GPU is better. You do not get to choose which GPU is in your phone. Take your flamebait elsewhere..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
proneter

rayhipkiss wrote:

proneter wrote:

or

I'm guessing that the phone with the A9 Cortex chip will be an Android and obviously the phone with the Krait is a Lumia. Be advised that many games coded for WP 8 are coded for the 1 GB RAM models. And there's no guarantee that there would be a version for the 512 MB RAM models.

Yeah, you are quite right. And I do know that a few games require more RAM in WP8 than that in their Android version., eg, Temple Run.

Actually I wanted to know which of the two combos has more processing power, given the former runs Android, while the latter WP8.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Out of my own experience I can tell you that the Krait dual core running WP 8 performs very well but the Android combo can show signs of lag. I've even seen the SGS 3 with it's so called superior hardware stutter and lag just by trying to perform basic tasks because of the UI becoming too bloated. That's where WP 8 comes into its own by being less resource hungry.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
proneter

rayhipkiss wrote:

Out of my own experience I can tell you that the Krait dual core running WP 8 performs very well but the Android combo can show signs of lag. I've even seen the SGS 3 with it's so called superior hardware stutter and lag just by trying to perform basic tasks because of the UI becoming too bloated. That's where WP 8 comes into its own by being less resource hungry.

That's exactly what keeps confusing me. I've found everything about the Lumia 520 and 620 to be good, but how come apps like Temple Run need 1 GB of RAM in WP despite such a powerful chipset and a graphics processor, while a low-end Android with 512 MB RAM runs it better than smoothly? Seriously, the developers ought to come up with a 512 MB RAM support. I mean, that's the only turn-off about Lumia 520, 620 and 720, and apparently it can be rectified so easily!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Temple Run doesn't need 1 GB RAM, it's the developers not bothering to release a version for the units with 512 MB of RAM. That being said, they may very well be working on a 512 MB RAM version as we speak.

Please use plain text.