Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Google Mobile app result - Web: No Gateway Rep...

Professor
kurtkaufman

Google Mobile app result - Web: No Gateway Reply

Using Google Mobile (search) app v2.03 (14) [788], on Symbian system s60v3.2 on Nokia n79.
Perform search and click on an item in the list of results. Very often the Web browser will start up and instead of displaying referenced page, a warning will pop up-
Web: No Gateway Reply!
If I return to the list of results, and click on the Google cached version of the link, the Web browser WILL display the page properly.
If I then Click on Google's reference to the "current page" in the outer frame of the cached page, it also will then properly display the current page.
This leads me to believe that there is something about the links on the initial Google page of results that the Symbian Web browser cannot deal with.

Any thoughts, suggestions welcomed!

Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

Re: Google Mobile app result - Web: No Gateway Reply

[ Edited ]

I can't say I've been able to come up with an answer to the mystery outlined above, but here's a workaround:

I have used Vlingo to speak my search terms (with Google set in the Vlingo preferences as the search engine).  I'm not sure I get exactly the same results as when using the Google Mobile app, but all of the results appear as a list of links directly in the Symbian web browser, and all of them seem to work as expected.

(OT: I understand that I'm using an older phone with an obsolete operating system, but it works fine otherwise, and I'm loath to add it to the ever-inceasing stream of electronic waste unless I really have to.)

Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

Has anyone else been having the "No Gateway Reply" problem when attempting to open Google Mobile app search results on a Nokia phone?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

Might be worth trying the same fix I posted for the N95 ages ago here: /t5/Connectivity/N95-WLAN-quot-No-Gateway-Reply-quot-Possible-Fix/m-p/114712
If I have helped you, please hit the star at the bottom of my posts - it's appreciated!
Don't forget if your problem is solved to press the "Accept as Solution" button.
Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

Thanks for the suggestion. In my case, the problem is Google Mobile/Symbian web browser-specific. The phone in general can access WLAN connections without any problems. I have tried all possible adjustments to both Google Mobile and Symbian web browser I can think of. I'm pretty sure the problem lies at the Google-server end of things: something about the way the search result links are formatted provides insufficient data to the Symbian web browser. It's strange that going through the cached page version to the current version works (as described above). Nokia s60 users experienced a similar (but not identical) problem in May of 2011, but someone at Google noticed the situation described on the Google Mobile Forum, and had the problem corrected. No such luck this time, I'm afraid. It may be that the s60v2 is getting to be too old for Google to bother with. It's a shame, but at least using Vlingo (or the runaround with the cached pages) there is a workaround.

Please use plain text.