Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

IM for Nokia will not install on C5-03

Sage
AlanWatson

IM for Nokia will not install on C5-03

The Ovi store tells me that the "IM for Nokia" app is available for my newly-purchased C5-03, running S60 5th Edition (10.0.031), but when I try to install it I get an error message saying that it is not compatible with my version of the operating system and that I need to update it using the software updater. Needless to say, the software updater says that I have the latest version of the software.

Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Sage
AlanWatson

Re: IM for Nokia will not install on C5-03

Please could someone tell me what the prcocedure is for reporting bugs like this to Nokia. Having so many apps that simply do not work at all on the Ovi store - especiallyy apps written by Nokia itself - makes Nokia look stupic and amateurish.

The only way for any organisation to improve is by responding to feedback. But if the feedback never gets through then Nokia can never improve and is doomed to fail - whether it uses, Symbian, Meego or Windows.

So how do I get my feedback through?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Well, it may be that it detects it is compatible for the phone, but not the software. please note that not all devices have same software because sometimes operators simply refuse to give out the updates.

On a lighter note, Nimbuzz is the best IM app out there anyway. Even if IM for Nokia works on my device, Nimbuzz is still better.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Sage
AlanWatson

My phone is SIM free, so it's nothing to do with the operator. This is an issue for Nokia. The installation failure message tells me to download an update to the operating system for my phone but the software updater tells me that I am already using the latest version.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Even if the phone is SIM-free, it doesnt mean that it has nothing to do with an operator. For example, Rogers in Canada sells SIM free phones, however, those phones are still locked down as Rogers branded handsets. Therefore, they cannot update unless Rogers approves the update Nokia sent them, even if they are SIM free. Same applies for a Sim free handset you may get from T-mobile or similar situations.

Another case are regional variants. Not all regions acquire the updates at the same time. Well, that's the same for several phone companies anyway, so I dont think it matters much.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Sage
AlanWatson

I did not buy my phone from an operator. I bought it from Nokia in Taipei.

Please let me assure you. This has nothying whatsoever to do with an operator.

I have a Nokia phone, bought from Nokia. I am trying to download software written by Nokia from the Ovi store run by Nokia. It does not work and gives me an error message which is contradicted by Nokia's software updater.

Why on earth should I blame an operator for something that has Nokia written all over it?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Again, if you read my second paragraph, there are regionalizations to consider. If you would, could you give me your device's product code?
Please use plain text.
Sage
AlanWatson

There are numerous codes under the battery but none of them is helpfully labelled 'product code'.

I can see:

Type: RM-697

Model: C5-03

FCC ID: QTKRM-697

FCE557BAD8BO

Code: 059F4Q9

And my software version is 10.0.031

But regardless of all this, the simple facts are a) that the Ovi store (knowing all about my phone) tells me that this software is available for and will work on my phone, when it does not and b) the Nokia software installer (knowing all about my phone) tells me that I should update my phone's operating system when no such update is available.

Neither of these two things should happen.

As a Nokia well-wisher, customer and shareholder, I want to see things like this fixed so that I and other customers have a better experience in future and continue to buy Nokia phones.

It seems impossible to get this to happen.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

It says you have a Taiwan version of the phone?

Asian regions usually get the updates later because of the language issues. Anyway, the problem is that Ovi Store detects phone models, not the phone software installed. Some apps require certain levels of software.

But then again, why insist on using Nokia IM when there are better alternatives?
Please use plain text.
ajmallatif

Update your mobile firmware to latest V21.0.003 then it will work.
Please use plain text.