Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 swype in OVi

Sage
HaPe
Accepted Solution

N8 swype in OVi

It seems that swype is now available in the OVI store for N8.

Just the download is not working in the moment,

or do all N8 users download it art same time? ;-)

N8-00 with orange case, loving it

If my post was helpfull, click on the white star and give me an KuDo ;-)
Please use plain text.
Sage
HaPe

Re: N8 swype in OVi

In the moment German language is not supported ;-(

Are there plans to extend language support?
How will we be informed about new languages in the future?

Will there be an automatic update or can we download additional languages anywhere?
What are the plans herefor?

BTW: Installed from Ovi and works great (in english). A reboot has to be done, and swype only is visible if the input language is one of the supported, for example english.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

With it still being in beta you will either need to ask the developers of swype those questions or ask on the swype beta forum.

Contact swype:
http://www.swypeinc.com/contact.html

Swype beta forum:
http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/swype-for-symbian/discussion

Please use plain text.
Sage
HaPe

no, it is not beta, it is now officially in the ovi store

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Well they haven't closed the swype boards on beta labs so you may be able to get answers there. You have more chance there than here!
Please use plain text.
Sage
HaPe

ok, posted there. will you all inform you gere about news

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
swype

[ Edited ]

Hey Swypers!

I am happy to hear everyone is able to download Swype for the N8 on the OVI store. We have been hard at work improving our application and increasing support for more Symbian^3 devices.

If you had found a way to get the previous C7 release onto your N8, I am sorry to say that folks have had varying success removing it. The original OVI release was limited to the C7 due to these known uninstallation issues with the N8. The following steps have been shown to work for some-- if these do not work the only other solution is a hard reset of the device: 

1. Reboot the phone

2. Immediately go into Settings -> Application Manager -> Installed Apps

3. Choose to uninstall Swype

4. IGNORE the message stating you have to set Swype Input to NO in Swype Settings

5. Wait for the un-installation to complete.

6. Reboot the phone.

7. Swype will be un-installed and the default keyboard will be available.

As for languages, you can follow the progress of language pack development on our Beta forums. We have an ongoing Swype for S605th Edition Beta program where we will be rolling out language packs as development and testing completes. These will eventually make their way to the OVI store for both Symbian^1 and Symbian^3.

Happy Swyping!

Peter @ Swype

Please use plain text.

Hi,

I have the N8 and am keen to get Swype onto it so when it appeared in the Ovi store I was pleased but after innumerable attempts to download it my enthusiam is waning. The item has been sent to my phone but every time I attempt to download it it gets about halfway through then gives me a download error. My phone has the latest firmware, has recently been reset to factory settings and has successfully downloaded other applications so the problem must be either the app isn't compatible or there is a problem sending it, either way there appears no way I can get it unless something changes.

Please advise.

Regards

Please use plain text.
sramo24

I have a C7 and I have the same problem that grattus. I've installed and uninstalled 1.000 times but I ever have the same error. I attached photo.

What am I doing wrong?

Please use plain text.

Hi,

I have discovered the root of the problem with the download to my N8 and it may help you. As you may have seen in my original post I believed that Swype never completely downloaded, it would get approximately halfway and stop with a "download error" message. I have since discovered that in my apps folder there are several swype downloads. I clicked on three or four and got a corrupted file message but one started and completed the installation. As a result of this I now have Swype fully functional on my phone.

It is frustrating that the phone "fooled me" into believing that it couldn't download Swype but if you try looking in your applications folder (E memory) you may find one you can download.

Good hunting!

Grattus

Please use plain text.
sramo24

I finally succeeded.

Thank you very much!!!!

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

It is saying that Swype has these languages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swype

Languages

Swype is currently available for the following languages:[7]

• Arabic
  • Basque
  • Bulgarian
  • Catalan
  • Chinese - Mandarin (simplified)
  • Chinese Traditional w/Bopomofo
  • Croatian
  • Czech
  • Danish
  • Dutch
  • English - UK
  • English - US
  • Estonian
  • Farsi
  • Finnish
  • French
  • French Canadian
  • Galician
  • German
  • Greek
  • Hebrew
  • Hungarian
  • Icelandic
  • Indonesian
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Latvian
  • Lithuanian
  • Malay
  • Norwegian (Bokmål)
  • Norwegian (Nynorsk)
  • Polish
  • Portuguese - Brazil
  • Portuguese - Portugal
  • Romanian
  • Russian
  • Serbian (Latin KB)
  • Slovak
  • Slovene
  • Spanish
  • Swedish
  • Thai
  • Turkish
  • Ukrainian
  • Urdu
  • Vietnamese

Why does Nokia Ovi only have a handful? The list was longer back when it was in Beta Labs! Please bring back all the Language Packs!

The only ones listed in Ovi are:

Polish,

Finish,

Danish,

Hebrew,

Italian,

Norwegian,

Swedish,

Icelandic,

Bulgarian

There used to be French, Spanish, Arabic, Thai, Indonesian and many more other languages supported while this was in Nokia Beta Labs.

Such a disappointment...

:smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mittsdad

I am trying to download Swype to my N8 via wifi. I have the application page showing but it just says waiting for connection. I have just downloaded another application from Nokia store with no problem. Has anyone got any ideas why it will not connect on Swype?
Is Swype worth downloading?
Please use plain text.
Basya1027

Hello, I have Nokia N8 and SWYPE worked fine for Russian SMS and e-mail. SWYPE has asked to upgrade recently and now I have problems with the installation of the app. Once downloaded from OVI it keeps saying you need to reboot, but after the reboot nothing happend, the app is shown under installed apps, but there is no Swype option under messaging - input options. Please help to fix the problem, I realy need Swype. Thanks

Please use plain text.