Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N96 BBC iPlayer

Advisor
gadgetmanandy

02-Oct-2008 10:06 PM
therev wrote:
Select Menu then Web and when the bookmarks open select options and then settings then click on general and under access point select always ask and then open IPlayer and open it and when it says allow network connection it will prompt you to select your connection and just select WIFI.
This is the only way I could cure this problem as it kept using wap even though I had set the priority for WIFI first.

Have also followed your instructions. Iplayer page opens but states I must be connected to a WiFi network to watch iplayer.

It must be my network settings, as it works ok at my local Macdonalds restaurant.

I have Sky broadband, any ideas??
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Possible fix router Sky standard netgear + netgear n router.
Try turning off your wireless encryption as a test on the router create a new ssid test and try connecting to N96. Have a look at attached devices on router and see if the N96 has managed a connection ie extra ip & mac address in list unfortunatley no name. As soon as I did this the wifi steaming worked perfect for the iplayer. The problem seemed to be the WPA encryption was to complex for the N96, I find on some usually cheaper network adapters they stuggle with WPA also.
Turning on on WEP 64 bit hex encryption worked fine, As this is basic security then I would suggested turning on access control on the router and add the mac address of all your wireless equipment to prevent anyone else attaching to your network. I
Please use plain text.

Thanks for the fix! My Sky router has never been too stable with many devices (N73, N95, laptop and now N96). Tried the security settings change as per your suggestion (now using WEP 64 bit with authorised device list) and all seems great.

I owe you a pint!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Bitter please , glad to help very frustrating situation. Not sure about 3G situation tried it yesterday it good 3.5G coverage and still got the use with wi-fi only message. Am on Vodaphone with unlimited access.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
gadgetmanandy

Hi thanks guys,

The security settings on the netgear router were the problem. And the fact that i did not RTIM (read the instruction manual!) for accessing WiFi. The N96 did not like the 256bit encryption but all works fine on 128bit encryption.

When I get home I will look at the access control. although I did not see the MAC address of the phone on the netgear configuration settings.

Thanks to everyones advice.

**Also iplayer version update, now alows programmes to be downloaded as oppossed to just been streamed - Awesome! **
Please use plain text.

I had the message to update the iPlayer software yesterday morning. Since I updated it, it just doesn't work at all. I start the application, it asks me to select the network I want to connect via and then it just shows me the background image with options and exit on the bottom. The only option in the options menu is exit.

I've removed the application and downloaded the file again from the location mentioned in this thread, but I get the same thing happen again. Anyone have any ideas what's wrong? I was quite happy watching Little Britain in bed on Saturday and really wish I hadn't agreed to their update now.

Thanks.

Steve
Please use plain text.
Advisor
gadgetmanandy

Hi Steve,

I actually downloaded the update prior to going to bed, and by the next day it worked fine. I did at the time ask the Nokia forum for help in setting up the phone for iplayer and it might be worthwhile rechecking your network connections on the phone and also the real player default settings. I changed all of these things after the latest update and it now works a dream.

Don't give up on the best flagship phone of all time!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi Guys

I've had none of the problems mentioned above however, upon trying to watch a programme (after successfully downloading it) when it goes off to get the license, it keeps telling me that the license could not be acquired?

WiFi is set up perfect, and as far as I'm aware it's using the WiFi signal to get the license - it just won't work? I can watch them online no problem, but I'm hoping to download to view them out of my WiFi zone (like in work :smileyhappy:

urtigat1 - I had something similar... one time this happened, I just waited for around 45 seconds and it eventually came up.

Cheers
Maz
Please use plain text.
Advisor
imthegeneral

Hi guys, This may sound dumb of me but I need an answer! I have an n96 with unlimited internet access (500mb). i have installed Iplayer and it works great. When I download a program for say 70mb, does this use up some of my allowed 500mb download limit?

I have downloaded two programs both at 70mb but am concerned that I will use up all my allowed downloads for the month within the next few days at this rate!

I'm sure i'm being a bit slow here but just wanted an answer!

Lovvin the n96. after a few teething problems it works like a dream.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Mazzy1026,

If you find the downloaded programme in your gallery, for which the license acquisition failed, and attempt to play it; it will try to retrieve the license again for the programme.

Does it always fail when you try to get a license?

Cheers,
d
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

That's correct I'm afraid - it tries but won't acquire it...
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Very strange indeed. Are you aquiring the license over wifi? and when did you last try to acquire a license for the content? what is the content? I can try on my N96, and see if I get the content and license.

/d
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

08-Oct-2008 05:39 PM
imthegeneral wrote:
Hi guys, This may sound dumb of me but I need an answer! I have an n96 with unlimited internet access (500mb). i have installed Iplayer and it works great. When I download a program for say 70mb, does this use up some of my allowed 500mb download limit?

It certainly is coming out of your "unlimited" allowance unless it specifically says otherwise on your contract. You really do need to be careful about the length and number of programs that you watch or face a big bill.

If possible try to use wi-fi wherever possible as obviously that is free.

You may want to consider switching to a better data tariff too.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
imthegeneral

Thanks! I have actually connected via wifi to download the content so far so I guess it's all good :-)

Thanks for the advice.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Ok here's what happens when trying to watch downloaded programme:

> Open video
> Say yes to server connection
(connecting)
> Select my WiFi (been great)
(connecting)
> "Registration"
> Click register (after doing this, licenses can be downloaded
automatically according to this page)
(processing....10 seconds)
> "License Not Received. Try Again?"
> Yes
> Same as above
> Then it sits on a blank page!

I'll perhaps feedback to the BBC - this is Beta after all...

Cheers
Please use plain text.
Advisor

What is the content you are trying to view?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I've tried 2 prog's - 'Little Britan USA' (subsequently watched successfully by streaming, not downloading) and 'James May's Big Ideas'...
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Can you do the following for me..:

Get the firmware version, type in:
*#0000#

And I also wondering about the certificates on your phone. Can you go to the following:

Menu -> tools -> Settings -> General -> Security -> Certificate Management -> Authority Certificates

And list me the certificates starting with "Nokia". Just wonder if your device is loaded with the correct certificates.

I'll go try and get that content you mentioned..

Thanks,
d
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks toot...

Version = 10.065 (custom = 10.065.256.1)

The only certificate beginning 'Nokia' = "Nokia Root CA Nokia"

(Others contain "Nokia" but do no begin with - as you specified)

Top man - thanks...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

In France you can download a iPlayer beta application but I couldn't with this application access to the service even with WiFi connection...
Is it normal ?
EverBeFree
Please use plain text.