Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia 5800 - WLAN/Wifi connection issues

Contributor

Nokia 5800 - WLAN/Wifi connection issues

I am having a problem with connecting my 5800XM to the wireless network at my uni.

Wifi connection at uni requires a username and password

My uni provides 2 different settings which im not sure which to follow

WPA-Enterprise Authentication and WPA-Personal & Web Authentication

Ive tried going through Settings -> Connectivity - > Destinations ->  Access point (added the uni wifi)

but from this point on i dont know what settings i am supposed to change or use.

Would anyone be able to know what settings i would have to enable/change??

Any help would be great

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: Nokia 5800 - WLAN/Wifi connection issues

settings for both below

WPA-Enterprise Authentication

SID / Network Name: uniwide

Wireless Security: WPA-Enterpriseor WPA2-Enterprise (more secure but may not work on legacy clients)

EAP Method: PEAP

Key Type/Encryption Cipher: TKIP or AES-CCMP(more secure but may not work on legacy clients)

Phase2 Type: MSCHAPv2

Identity/Username: Staff/Student ID

Password: Your password

and

WPA-Personal & Web Authentication

SSID / Network Name: uniwide_webauth

Wireless Security: WPA-Personal

WPA Pre-shared-key: UNSW2wireless

Key Type/Encryption Cipher: TKIP

Identity/Username: Staff/Student ID

Password: Your password

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Have a look at this thread, it contains useful info:/discussions/board/message?board.id=connectivity&message.id=22404

Use the WPA Enterprise Authentication info (the first of the two sets of details you provided). The important piece of information is the tiny right-pointing arrow you need to click after going through WLAN Security Settings > EAP plug-in settings > EAP-PEAP. Clicking on that little arrow at the top of the screen takes you to the second and third page of settings, where you can configure MSCHAPv2.

I also recommend reading the detailed manual you can download from the Nokia site.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks.

Where can i download this manual? 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
coopa

Please use plain text.

I have similar problem - my workplace uses WPA-Enterprise for security, with PEAP authentication.

I've installed the certificate I got from IT, and selected also CHAPv2 for the username/password.

When I try to connect, it just fail after very long time (couple of minutes), and in the RADIUS server's log, we see timeout - challenge not provided by client.

I've tried to find where I set the key type (to match what is written above: 

Key Type/Encryption Cipher: TKIP or AES-CCMP(more secure but may not work on legacy clients)

)

but couldn't locate it in the phone or the manual. 

Any idea?

Thanks,

Ilan

Please use plain text.
Sage

I had success when i changed my wlan security mode to 802.1x (it was wpa which is what my school says to use). You can change this in destinations>internet>and your new wlan profile, edit>wlan security mode

I also noticed that it works much better when i am a GSM turn on.

If i'm in offline mode, things are harder, if you go here: settings>connectivity>wireless lan>options>settings turn on the "show wlan availability". This way hidden networks stay up longer. In offline mode, I also have to connect first to the guest lan (eduroam guest) than the eduroam appears, than i have to desconnect and connect to eduroam (you have to do this fast because eduroam disappearsafter you desconnect eduroam guest). Like I said this is just in offline mode. If you have the gsm connected. The hidden network will always appear (remember to make a destination profile).

Please use plain text.

I am having Nokia 5800 XM. I am connecting my mobile with wifi in my home. It get connect and after few seconds it doesnt repond. when i check the connection manager for first few sec it shows connection status is active and after that it shows inactive though mobile is still connected with wifi but there is no response from wifi router.

My room mate is having samsung galaxy and in his phone wifi works fine continuesly.. but in my phone after some time it stops working.

can you please help

Please use plain text.
Contributor
chanuka3949

Mine too. When i restart the router it works wor few munites and then the same problem

Does anyone how to fix this issue ?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chancer_304

same here please help me also with this problem
Please use plain text.
Contributor
chanuka3949

OK. I got it working. Just a simple thing. Update the Router Firmware. Now working without any problem :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.