Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia 5800 goes crazy after I update software with...

GlobalRoamer

Nokia 5800 goes crazy after I update software with Nokia Suite

I have a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic.  Last week I installed Nokia Suite on my PC for the first time.

When I connected my 5800 PC Suite told me I needed to update my phone software.  So OK I followed the instructions and updated my software.

That is when the fun started.  I went to the Menu screen and tapped on Applications.  The Applications icon went grey and the phone just sat there.  After a few minutes the grey went away I tried it again and it worked.

Then I went to the Menu screen and tapped on Gallery.  The Gallery icon went grey and the phone just sat there.  After a few minutes the grey went away and I was able to go to Gallery.

Another time I went to the Menu Screen and tapped on Applications.  All of the icons, except for the last row disappeared.  A few minutes later the icons came back and I was able to go to Applications.

When an Menu Screen icon goes grey and the phone stops, I can sometimes select a different icon and that icon will work, sometimes the newly selected icon will grey out and the phone sits.

I've used Nokia Chat Support for two times taking more than four hours.  The best they could suggest is for me to back up the phone, and do the factory reset.  Needless to say the factory reset didn't work, and I am stuck setting up most of my personalization all over again, for a phone that has lost its mind.

This is clearly a known Nokia problem.  There are similar posts out there with thousands of reads.  Someone, somewhere knows how to fix this.  Any ideas?

Ken Chapman
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Re: Nokia 5800 goes crazy after I update software with Nokia Suite

How did you reset? Here's what should have happened, If this does not resolve the issue visit a Nokia Care Point.

• Make sure the phone is charged and on the charger.
  • Get the latest version of Nokia Suite here.
  • Connect the phone and do a backup in Nokia Suite. You need to de-select the option to include settings.
  • When the backup is done disconnect the phone.
  • Dial *#7370# followed by security code 12345 if required.
  • After the reset connect the phone to the PC and let it install any required tools or drivers.
  • Go to the update screen in Nokia Suite and apply the latest update again.
  • When finished check if the phone works normally.
    • If so do your personal settings and restore the backup.
    • If not visit a Nokia Care Point for a flash.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.