Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Apps NOT working with WiFi Proxy

Contributor
khan_orak

Nokia Apps NOT working with WiFi Proxy

I am using WiFi internet at university which is accessed via a proxy. Although almost all the websites are accessible through PC except torrents, The following examples on my Nokia C7 won't just connect to network. Social Networking (Facebook) app from Ovi Shazam Nokia Drop Lyrics Skype Internet Radio I would like to mention that Mail, Ebuddy, Opera works perfectly on WiFi and Facebook is also not blocked. If someone could suggest some remedy for the above problem. Thanks
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
boyvinbab

first of all delete all the previous access points in ur phone...
then create a new access point of ur university wifi...
configure its proxy properly and save it...
then save this access point in internet category with priority 1st priority...

then goto settings>connectivity>settings and then select data use in home country and abroad to always ask.....
then whenever an app requests u to select an access point select wlan that u configured previously there........
if the app is not asking u to select one.....then restore ur factory settings and repeat this process again......

if u find this useful plz hit kudo button below......
Please use plain text.
Contributor
khan_orak

@boyvinbab
thanks a lot for supporting but i'm afraid that none of the above methods worked. I'd be very thankful if some other solution is given to this problem.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
boyvinbab

@khan
r those other apps asking for access points?????
Please use plain text.
Contributor
khan_orak

No they are not asking for Access Point. It directly connects to the default connection which is the WiFi Network with a tick mark on it in Destinations but then it doesn't work afterwards, remains stuck.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
boyvinbab

problem is with ur phone settings......
u must have set the default ap......
better to restore factory settings and give it an other try.....
Please use plain text.
Contributor
khan_orak

Could it be that the proxy server is blocking access? because it does connect but no transfer of data takes place.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
boyvinbab

if u are sure that even those apps are using the same access point that of web,then u r right........
here in my univ wifi facebook,foursquare,nokia is bloced....hence all these services the apps are providing wont work.......
u need to even more concentrate and observe what ur phone is doing while connecting and find out the reason.......
Please use plain text.
Contributor
khan_orak

I just confirmed it from my University Tech Directorate... They've blocked these things. The person in charge said that We can't cater for all the apps on different platforms like iOS, Android, Symbian etc since different apps may use different ports and it is not feasible to unblock all those ports. Only thing he can unblock is skype. Looks like bad luck at my end.

Anyways, Thanks a lot for sparing precious time of yours Boyvinbab. Much appreciated. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
boyvinbab

hmm u got some clarity abt dis issue.........
thats enough for me......... :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
boyvinbab

happy to help.... :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
eldeeb91

It happens with me in Mansoura university in Egypt.the only app to open there is opera10 and above and web browser.so i realized that the problem is in the applications itself it can not deals with proxy.i hope to find an app to make a virtual ap for this apps based on  uni wifi.   

Please use plain text.
bartvanham

[ Edited ]

I have exactly the same problem on my C5-03. Only difference is: The apps used to work, but after installing and uninstalling the Word Tiles app they don't anymore. The apps that usually ask for an access point (default browser, Opera etc.) still connect to wifi but apps that don't ask for an access point (Maps, Foursquare, device updates etc.) cannot connect to any access point anymore... Only exception is Facebook, it still works fine.

I already re-installed some apps because I thought I may have deleted some assisting programs like Qt or something. It didn't work. Reset to factory settings did not work either. And the wifi cannot be the problem. I did not block anything on my network at home... Pretty frustrating!

Nokia C5-03
Please use plain text.