Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Odt file problem on X6 Quick Office

Advisor
msknight5

Odt file problem on X6 Quick Office

Hi Folks,

After an update, Quick Office was installed on my X6. I don't remember asking for it, but it just appeared. I also can't get rid of it either, which is annoying. Also, after removing Shazam, it seems to have come down again with an update.

Anyway, as I can't remove Quick Office, I thought I might as well give it a try and transfered some of my Odt files to the phone.

However, it doesn't seem to want to see any of my Open Office documents.

Also, I can't remove Shazam, either.

So, I'm stuck with two applications; one that won't work (won't open Open Document standard files) and one that I don't want (Shazam) and I can't get rid of either.

Any help please?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Re: Odt file problem on X6 Quick Office

Quick Office supports .doc and .xls formats. Check the App.Mgr. to remove software. If Shazam is part of the firmware, you won't be able to remove the software.

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Advisor
msknight5

I've tried in app manager, but neither QuickOffice or Shazam have remove options.  Is there any other way to get it off the device please? I'm particularly concerned about the quickoffice application as I'm not sure how heavy it is on the flash space.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Quick Office uses 4-5 MB of the 512MB you have.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/X6-00/

Please use plain text.
Advisor
msknight5

Ouch. That's 1% of the storage for something I don't want.

So how do I get rid of it?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

You can't remove QO if it's part of the firmware.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
msknight5

Thanks.

I've complained to Nokia.

For any company to go forward in this day and age, they need to support open standards and not tie themselves in to closed systems.

Either QuickOffice needs to support Open Document standards, or else they should give me the option of removing it.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

I understand. But keep in mind that QO is 3rd party software. You've to file your complaints at QO. You can however save your .odt files as .doc in Open Office.

Please use plain text.
bones5

have emailed nokia over this problem but they dont seem interested! surprise surprise!!! keep getting the same reply every time i email them " go to menu, go to application manager, go to  installed apps, go to shazam, but this is the problem. SHAZAM IS NOT THERE! NORE IS THAT OTHER PIECE OF POO QUICKOFFICE!

Please use plain text.
bones5

this is the reply i got from nokia today

We are sorry to hear that your Nokia X6 is having an issue. We suggest that you hard reset your Nokia device: 
Note: It is required to back up your important files before performing hard reset. We recommend that you use our PC Suite application for doing a back up. PC Suite application was designed to help you manage your files from phone to PC or vice versa. You can download the compatible Nokia PC Suite for your device from this link:

my reply;

thank you for your prompt reply, sorry for being a pain but when you say"your nokia x6 is having a issue" its not just my nokia x6 having this problem, do you not think you should employ a technician to resolve mine and many others problem over this matter. To be perfectly honest you seem to be passing the buck over this problem.

Please use plain text.
bones5

this is reply i got from nokia today

Thank you for contacting Nokia Care. We do apologize for all the inconveniences we have caused you. Regarding your concern about Shazam and Quick Office, it is not possible to remove these applications to your phone because it is one of the features included in the update of the Nokia X6 device.

Please use plain text.