Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Skype for E71

Advisor

Skype for E71

Folks,

I want to install Skype on my mobile, where can i find for e71 supported version.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: Skype for E71

you need to use Fring (www.fring.com)
Please use plain text.

I checked and not found Skype version for E71, but I suggest you can use Fring [http://www.fring.com] it will give you access on all features, like Gtalk, yahoo chat , ICQ etc etc, As wel I found application is really very good and full fill the objective.
Please use plain text.
Professor

Fring should do the job for you ,you even can call other buddies on msn...etc , also it supports skype out to call land phones with little charges .

Also you can recommned it for your friends who don't have Skype . msn...etc accounts , or even search for new friends.

No Skype for Symbian , period , Skype can only be installed on Nokia phones such as N810 ,but they are not Symbian , they are Linux .
Please use plain text.
Advisor
tzhou1999

there's an official skype beta version for N95. which works on e71 although not perfectly. see the link below:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/download/skype/mobile/choose/downloading/?downloadId=56&selectedDevi...

i've installed in on both N95 and E71, on E71, when you login for the first time, you just have to imagine that you are using a N95 keypad when entering your account details, and select 'Automatically' login, your details will then be saved on your mobile.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
tzhou1999

by saying 'imagine you are using a n95 keypad' i mean for example,you want to type the letter K, instead of pressing K directly on e71's keyboard, you press the number key '5' twice, for letter 'Z', press '9' four times.
Please use plain text.
Sage
fusionloch

Who's network are you on - I'm on 3 with an E71 - and they have a downloadable Skype client that works fine!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
tzhou1999

im with 3, my phone has both 3 and skype's own version installed. the problem with 3's version is that it doesnt support skype out.

correct me if i'm wrong.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I used Bluetooth PC keyboard to enter my account data in Skype.
Then when I type text messages in Skype, I have to press Fn+Key and text window will popup.
Voice call work with Skype-Out account.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hello you can download skype from the website

http://mosh.nokia.com/content/4BFAF7EC9CBE1FCFE040050A4530631B/versions/all

or

http://www.iskoot.com/register.php?device=NoDevice

iskoot is the official skype interface for mobiles phones. Three mobile is using this program on all the three phones
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fdilbar

thanks... :smileyhappy:
Best Regards,
Faisal Mohammad
Please use plain text.
Advisor

On my E71 skoot works perfectly. Fring is slow and weird, it assumes things about how I want it to behave (I do NOT want my E71 addressbook mixed with my Skype address book). Go with iskoot.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Problem with iSkoot is you can't access wifi you must use your phone company's data plan (iskoot have confirmed this to me). For me that's an expensive way of saving money by using internet phone.
visit my blog at http://wytchecraft-blog.blogspot.com/
Please use plain text.

19-Oct-2008 05:41 PM
alekos wrote:
Hello you can download skype from the website

http://mosh.nokia.com/content/4BFAF7EC9CBE1FCFE040050A4530631B/versions/all

or

http://www.iskoot.com/register.php?device=NoDevice

iskoot is the official skype interface for mobiles phones. Three mobile is using this program on all the three phones

I have downloaded iskoot into my E71 and it works perfectly. I am using T-Mobile in Germany. Thank you very much for let me know this!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi,

As far as I can tell, iskoot aims to allow you to call a local number to call skype contacts. That's why it works without eating up your data charges. A comment that I found on iskoot help forum:

iSkoot directs your call via a local access number- not the data connection, so you will be charged for VOICE CALLING no matter where you are located or what data APN you are using. 

Regarding connecting your call, this uses minimal data, and if you are connected via WiFi, you should not be charged for it.

Regarding SkypeOut calls, you should be able to use your unlimited Skype plan, but if you are not, you would have to take that up with Skype... And keeping in mind that you will pay for the minutes of the call to the local access number as a regular phone call.

Sounds alright to me. :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jamesshaw

groovygeek wrote:
On my E71 skoot works perfectly. Fring is slow and weird, it assumes things about how I want it to behave (I do NOT want my E71 addressbook mixed with my Skype address book). Go with iskoot.

there is the option not to display phones contacts...

3210 - 8310 - 3230 - 6230 - 6280 - e65 - n95 - n81 8gb - e71 - X6
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

The only VoIP clients I know for E71 (by Voip, I mean that the phone will use your phone internet connection to call, instead of your cell connection) are:

-Nimbuzz

-Fring

Skype is NOT VoIP, it calls a local number which then calls your internet contact. The reason it's free for 3 UK, it's because it's included when you get a contract or with certain phones. I reccomend both Nimbuzz and Fring for anyone that has a data plan for anything above 200Mb or available WiFi around them.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

to set up your contacts on fring open fring on your phone then........go to options - settings - personalize- phone address book - then hide / unhide ----- SIMPLE!!!! Also iskoot doesn't support WIFI - fring does so its FREE !!!! So i would reccomend fring everyday of the week and twice at the weekends!!!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Fring Rocks !!

I have not tried NimBuzzz but I know its very similar to Fring...

The only thing I have noticed with Fring is that when the E71 hooks onto a APN ... the FULL contacts list on Fring can take some time to refresh...and I can't seem to 'accelerate' the contacts appearing...

FRING IT ON !!!           :-)

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Actually, the E71 has an integrated VoIP client. It works really well, since for example in the address book you can press the center button on a contact, select "Call", select "Internet call". This will automatically use your VoIP client to make the call.

For the client to work you will need 2 things:

1. You need to sign up with a VoIP provider that is compatible with a SIP client: I am using www.dcalling.com and it works fine.

2. You will need to set up your VoIP client on the phone to work with this account. Most VoIP providers (including Dcalling) have detailed set up guides for this. The relevant phone settings are found in: Tools>Settings>Connection>SIP settings and in Tools>Settings>Connection>Internet telephone.

This system let's you make internet phone calls at really good rates (as provided by the VoIP provider) and uses any access point that you tell it to you, to get to the VoIP provider (I am using my office WiFi connection).

The quality is better than anything I have seen with fring. I also really like the integration with the address book, since you can call anyone via VoIP without modifying anything in the address book.

Hope you guys like this too.

Toby

Please use plain text.