Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: TuneIn radio on Symbian

Advisor
Hoisin

TuneIn radio on Symbian

I contacted TuneIn asking if would be making a Symbian app. The following is the answer I got.

"Hello Henrik

Thank you for contacting us regarding this issue. The Symbian app has been made already, but we are waiting for them to release an OS that can handle TuneIn and other media rich apps.

Sincerely,

Derek
TuneIn"

Does anybody know what that means exactly. Were they waiting for Anna? Are they waiting for Belle? Why is Symbian the only OS that doesn't support TuneIn?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

I'm not sure but it sounds like a fob off to me. Symbian is already capable of internet radio streaming with the Nokia internet radio app. There is also the Aupeo range of internet radio apps as well as some others.

I have the tune in app on my Samsung but I generally prefer to use the Nokia internet radio on my N8. Tunein's OK, but doesn't really offer me anything over the Nokia one.

Cheers.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SymbianSimian

[ Edited ]

I asked the same question a few months ago, and then they said it would come out soon,

there is an app, but it doesn't work on my N8, the station lists all load but if you try to listen it says:" download error, due to Qt bug or service may not be available in your area" (I am in the USA), also tunein has  a webpage for  nokia:

http://www.articlecms.in/3958-tunein-radio-v100-for-symbian3-nokia-n8-c7-e7.html

http://tunein.com/mobile/nokia/

hope they figure it out soon!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DocLee

[ Edited ]

Hello and thanks for inquiring about TuneIn for Nokia.

TuneIn for Nokia is, in fact, written, but is waiting for a necessary update for Qt Mobility that implements Network Configuration parameters for the audio player.  We released the application quite a few months ago and people were having problems with the music player's (QMediaPlayer) access point not being set correctly which caused an error that the station wasn't available to be thrown.  We tried to work through the problem with various hacks and extensive backend coding but nothing would work as it was supposed to so we decided it was in everybody's best interest to pull the app from the Ovi Store until these issues could be resolved by Nokia.  

The Nokia Internet Radio application is a native Symbian-only application.  Because it is a native Symbian application, it can set the correct access point for audio.  This feature has finally been implemented in Qt Mobility as of 1.2 http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.2/qmediaplayer.html which is not yet available for Smart Installer installs.

In order to reach more devices (and future devices) such as the Meego and Maemo platforms, we chose to create our application in Qt.   We worked with the Nokia team directly to make sure that the QMediaPlayer in Qt Mobility gained important functionality that will help a lot of other media applications out in the end and strengthen the platform.  It's just taking a bit longer for Nokia to push the update out than we expected.  We hope you understand and we greatly appreciate your continued enthusiasm for our product.  

Doc Lee

TuneIn Radio

Moderator's note: Link to website in signature removed, as no form of advertising is allowed on our Discussion Board.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SymbianSimian

[ Edited ]

I really appreciate you getting back to us, I use TuneIn on the family iPad/iPhone, there is a few of my favorite stations I cannot get on my N8 internet radio, so can't wait!!

Regards, Laurens

Please use plain text.
Advisor
HiaHiaHia

Really hope you guys can make one for S^3. It will makes my N8 perfect!

Please use plain text.
devere15

I agree - Tune In 2.2 for IPOD is awesome and look forward to hearing it on my N8. 

This life of waiting wasnt what  I anticipated with Nokia.

Heck I don't even have Anna yet because I live in Canada (why not just us give us Belle right away)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Zeronanoseconds

Nokia Internet Radio is not a bad stab, but Tunein on Ipod/iPhone has set the Standard of what Internet radio is...

Like many people we gave up listening to Internet radio as the buffering the delays, the searching, pasting URLS and all this saga was just hard work.

Tunein has location based Internet sations, search by genre, language locations what ever else. The paid version can record, you can rewind, and typically what is best is to be rewnd and listen to music 5 or 10 minutes behind "Real time" so you can fast foward and you can automatilcally buffer is there is network problems without distruption the the music play.

Whilst the Free version of Tunein is good, don't even waste your time with it, get the paid version, it is some of the best money you will spend..... start recording and building your own library of favourite shows and stations and listen to them when you want.....

Please make the paid version of Tunein a priority....

Also see if you can beat Nokia on power consumption as I find Nokia Internet radio the most battery hungry app I use.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sinister

I got a reply from Nokia regarding Tunein.

Doesn't look hopefull as the letter seemed like a generic FOAD letter instructing me to check the Nokia Store regularily.

I strongly disagree with one of the prior posters that Tunein offers nother above the standard Nokia Internet Radio application.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sinister

Typo in previous msg.  That should have been "I strongly disagree with the prior poster that Tunein offers nothing above the standard Nokia Internet Radio application"

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sinister

Since Tunein isn't available, try Grab Radio.  Not as good as Tunein, but vastly better than Nokia's.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
HiaHiaHia

Just tried Grab radio. They have many stations that are interesting to me. However none of them can be connected. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

I sent an email to tunein;

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us. Since Nokia is abandoning the Symbian app for Windows soon, we are not actively developing for Symbian as we already have a Windows app.

Sincerely,

Kyle

TuneIn

Have questions? Please visit:

http://tunein.com/support

>> Product: Other  Problem: other  Would love your product on my Nokia Belle phone., Nokia 701 is on symbian latform 3. Same as N8, C7, X7, E6, E7 and C6-01 and soon the planets best universal Nokia 808 ...

I hope that Nokia OS will live on, after all, Nokia Belle and further "platforms" isnt anything like old Symbian...it is great on fact on Nokia 701 fore example.

I think Tunein should reconsider this

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.